No announcement yet.

Key West Rally 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Five days to wait, -then- jump on the bike (for me, not sure which one just yet)
    Thurs March 2 till Mar 5.
    Tallahassee / Havana Florida

Looking like we will have 7 or 8 so far. 100 mile radius for the Friday & Saturday Day Rides opens up a lot of possibilities. St George Island, Port St Joe, Apalachicola to maybe Panama City. Then southern Alabama or Georgia. Likely trips will be a Riders Choice that we can figure out next Thursday.

Atlanta traffic is trashed out from 06:30 till 10am. I'd like to get rolling so will maybe leave home before 9 or 9:30 if anybody else cares to meet up with us going south. PM the Miami area guys if you want to hook up with them heading north.

Welcome to join us if you can. Looking at photos is good but join us so you can be "in" the photos.
    Trailer parking at Don's if you pulling the two wheeler on or behind a four.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Hi Jeff,
      As always a nice welcoming post. sadly i can not make it(again) this year.
      anyone thinking of going: this will be an excellent time with some great people.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Nice idea, but...

Wouldn't I like to be headed to Key West on a motorcycle right now!

But, with flurries in the forecast, probably not the best plan.

I'll keep dreaming about the next one.

Thanks for asking about northerners Jeff.
        '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
        '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
        '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Panhandle Rally

its almost time for the 'Panhandle Rally'

Weather is looking to cooperate ...............
          Sunny in the 70's for the weekend

Rally plan is to ride till we need gas, then panhandle awhile, then gas-n'-go to the next town & repeat.
          ~ byob (bucket) for the panhandling

My 11 has totally dead battery. Ordered a new one. Arrives maybe Wed. So may ride Triumph instead to run out the tires.

Probably book my motel tonight. Likely Microtel US27 & I-10. Others staying at Don's.
          I promise this time not to loose my bike keys so everybody isn't going up & down US27 after dark (with their flashlights) looking for my missing keys. btw: finally found em' at walmart across the street after 30 min of searching now that's embarrassing.

Seems all will be Tallahassee bound on Thursday .........

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

btw: we will be doing Day Rides on Fri - Sat - Sun and staying over in Tallahassee each night. I-10 @ US27
            Bikers (be it 2 or 3 or 4 wheels) are still welcome to join the group Friday night or Saturday night if you can't get there Thursday night.
            So if you have the inclination to ride to Tallahassee this weekend please come join us. We will keep the light on for you

See ya,
            the FLA Panhandlers
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Florida rally

I will arrive at the Microtel Fri night, Est 9:00pm. Will ride with you on Sat. Leaving Sat night. One day only but better than nothing. More than ready for a days ride !!!

Steve Scott

Comment

Originally posted by steve scott View Post
                I will arrive at the Microtel Fri night, Est 9:00pm. Will ride with you on Sat. Leaving Sat night. One day only but better than nothing. More than ready for a days ride !!!

Steve Scott
                We all arrived at Dons about 5pm.
                We are all looking forward to your arrival tomorrow evening.

For Saturday we discussed maybe riding to St. George Island / Appalachacola if that route would be good for you.

See ya,
                Jeff
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Mike and I had a great back roads Georgia trek today heading to Florida. Took the really really rural route. Treated to sunny blue skies with many big X contrails from jets cruising high above. Many things in bloom and lots of green. Some canopy covered byways and others with Spanish moss. Plus zipping along through the ubiquitous Georgia pines and miles & miles of sand in south GA. Bikes ran great. Lunch in middle GA at a Soul Food restaurant. I had Ox Tails. delicious

Met up with the rest of the Panhandlers. So tomorrow is sunny and 70 so it looks to be a ride day.

Only took one picture.

Its good to be Riding.

Jeff
                  Last edited by JeffH; 03-02-2017, 08:43 PM.
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Yes!

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                    Mike and I had a great back roads Georgia trek today heading to Florida. Took the really really rural route. Treated to sunny blue skies with many big X contrails from jets cruising high above. Many things in bloom and lots of green. Some canopy covered byways and others with Spanish moss. Plus zipping along through the ubiquitous Georgia pines and miles & miles of sand in south GA. Bikes ran great. Lunch in middle GA at a Soul Food restaurant. I had Ox Tails. delicious

Met up with the rest of the Panhandlers. So tomorrow is sunny and 70 so it looks to be a ride day.

Only took one picture.

Its good to be Riding.

Jeff
                    We left at 9:30 am from Gwinnett county. Fought our way south via 285, 675, and 75. Got off 75 onto GA 36 at Jackson. All scenic roads the entire remainder of the very enjoyable ride. Was 85 degrees here in Havana, FL yesterday? Today we enjoyed the warmth of Don's wood burning stove. There is no better heat. Will be here until Sunday with local day rides for next 2 days.

The question I have is which motorcycle will Steve Scott bring to Florida?

Time to rest up for tomorrow. More to come. Stay tuned.
                    Last edited by MPittma100; 03-02-2017, 09:14 PM.
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors
                    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Not Quite

Jimmy Buffett's in Key West, having XSive lunch at Jim's Buffet (& Grill) in Marianna.

Good Buffet ...............
                      Very Tasty ...........

the FLA Panhandlers
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Quite a lovely Rally Day indeed

Ever ridden along the Chattahoochee River in North Georgia mountains and wondered where it went??
                        Ever had lunch or dinner in Helen GA watching the rafters go by?

Woodruff Dam / Lake Seminole where the Chattahoochee / Flint turns into the Apalachicola River
                        Right (eastern) side of dam is in Georgia. Spillways and Lock & Turbine Generators in Florida

Mike and his magnificent Venturer at the rest stop

Leaving Chattahoochee FLA and riding to Marianna FLA for Jim's Buffet

A PERFECT day to be out with XSive friends.

Jeff
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

I know these wonderful people .....and wish I could be there
                          Have fun and please keep posting pictures and reports.
                          Phil
                          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

in Apalachicola

Lunch at Tamara's Cafe.

7 Bikes on today's ride:
                            6 are Japanese, 5 are Vintage Japanese, 4 are XS11's,
                            3 are 11 Standards, 2 are modern, 1 fantastic time.
                            Not seeing any French hens or turtle doves though.

Don lead us through Wakulla Springs forest then US98 to Panacea and along the Gulf Coast. Beautiful sunny day. Little breeze and temps ok for riding.

the Panhandler's
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Glad to hear your all having fun riding......and being safe while enjoying ride.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Spectacular

Wonderful Spring ride today .........

Started off with an AM java jolt with Ted & Heather in Tallahassee, then escaped from Florida into Georgia.

Rode the 4P / 2S / 1C South Georgia Scenic Trail

That's Peanuts, Pecans, Peaches & Pines + Swamps n' Sweepers and of course Cotton.

Rode to Climax then off to Americus. Overload of spring green and most everything in bloom. Azalea, Dogwood, Redbud + other flowers in full color plus tree leaves popping green. Against sunny blue skies.

Real back country route with about zero traffic or towns or people = roll right along

Good fresh Shrimp lunch at the hole in the wall Seafood joint in Americus. (Marty & Brent know this one, but no alligator available today)

One of those glorious days when geared up with ATGATT is comfortable and not too hot.

Jeff
                                Last edited by JeffH; 03-05-2017, 04:54 PM.
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                                X