No announcement yet.

Key West Winter Ride Feb 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where I'm sitting, Snowmageddon II has begun. Snow is falling heavily and everything is blanketed in white. Stay in Florida!
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Winter Ride

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      Where I'm sitting, Snowmageddon II has begun. Snow is falling heavily and everything is blanketed in white. Stay in Florida!
      Weather is supposed to be possibly worse here than 2 weeks ago due to predicted ice accumulations downing trees and power lines.

Heading/riding south seems to cure all of these winter woes.

Glad you guys are having fun and good weather. Be safe.
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

In the middle of this winter form he!! this is both torture and fun to read about. Considering I spent Friday night in a "rustic" cabin with a boy scout troop, a 6' X 6' fire place filled with flames and hot enough coals you could barely stand with in 3 feet of it, and yet twenty feet away it was below freezing. And then to see those beautiful roads and scenery, yep, torture.

I need to put those photos on the big screen TV and sit back with a Mojito or Margarita or ten!
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

More pictures please
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Arrived key west

XSives just saying "hey" from Key West. We made it.

Had a great ride today down the Keys. Viewed a magnificent sunset from Mallory Square then over to A&B Lobster House (actually downstairs its Alphonzo's) for great dinner. Took the obligatory after dinner stroll to see the Duval Street oddities.

Was mid-80's, sorry. We are having fun. Back to Florida City tomorrow then out to explore the Everglades Park and ride out to Flamingo.

I think we picked a real good week to be riding in South Florida. Almost 11pm and sitting outside in short sleeves listening to the band. Not bad
            More later.

Jeff & the XSives
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
              XSives just saying "hey" from Key West. We made it.

Had a great ride today down the Keys. Viewed a magnificent sunset from Mallory Square then over to A&B Lobster House (actually downstairs its Alphonzo's) for great dinner. Took the obligatory after dinner stroll to see the Duval Street oddities.

Was mid-80's, sorry. We are having fun. Back to Florida City tomorrow then out to explore the Everglades Park and ride out to Flamingo.

I think we picked a real good week to be riding in South Florida. Almost 11pm and sitting outside in short sleeves listening to the band. Not bad
              More later.

Jeff & the XSives
              Jeff & the XSives sounds like a good name for a Band
              Phil
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Home from FL, snowed in?!?

Short report, short trip.
                I rode my HD road king & met Jeff in Dublin GA. Freezing Cold, but dry when I left Lilburn Ga. I wore my warm winter mits, down vest, bacalava hood, and wool scarf. Comfy enough. That warmest stuff came off when I met Jeff at noon and stayed packed for rest of trip. As previously bpictured, I rode Jeff's bike for a ways in South GA. His Work on carbs and suspensijon is evident!.. Power is responsive and smooth throught rpm range. Ride is good, settled and stable. Jeff has reason to be proud of his save & return to roadworthy with that XS.

Saturday afternoon at Daytona Beach - Light rain sprinkles on & off, but warm. Ted& Don rode to Carl's speed shop. Carl is HD enthusiast, holding many national speed records from the last century. He had never seen my HD and I believe he was sceptical of my mileage claims. He wanted to see my mileage, by picture or in person before he gave me any more free advice. He did come out into the range to see it. His work has been for top speed, & fast quarter miles, rather than long distance or high mileage. He had some good ideas re:. valve shims adjustment, oil baffle for GSXers, etc.

I returned home, leaving Daytona Beach aboiut 0830 Sunday morning. I was making prtetty good time untill I stopped in Jackson, GA At Fresh air BBQ. A relatively new rider, new to area, asked me if I knew any good roads nearby.
                Answering THAT took a while, but was quicker & clearer with a map. I still made good time, arriving about 4:30 pm 450 miles in 8 hrs. Mostly interstate.

Monday afternoon - Riding XS from home to Stone Mountain HD to buy new rear sprocket for drive belt. OK weather. Governor declared State of Emergency at noon Monday. (Snow & Ice coming in Wednesday am) Two Women shot in Kroger on HWY 20 in Lawrenceville, soon after emergency declared.

Tues - Just above freezing 36. I broke & repaired rope on my emergency generator (Darn ethanol, global warming...I could hyjack & sidetrack my own report...better not get started...) Then I rode my XS to Lawrenceville, for a few more groceries...No trouble for me. Most bread gone, but plenty of other stuff. Not my favorite riding weather, but short trip and not too wet.

Wednesday Awoke to Thin layer of ice covering everything. Some limbs breaking in my back yard (imagine loud & long CRAAAack...thud sound), Sleet falling, and Thankfully bouncing off power lines & limbs. over 50,000
                GA power customers with no electricity. At my house,about 1/8 inch of ice followed by 1/2 inch of sleet. Bad roads, impassable, Power crews using chains. roads mostly deserted. 1500 flights cancelled at Atlanta airport.

Snowed in. Stranded, but I am home. Cabin fever beginning. PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome) sensitivity increasing. Steady drone of weather reports (mostly the Chicken Little Channel) predicting doom...pictures of ice cycles... It has been a half day already. and temps predicted below freezing for another whole day. I do not know if I can stand it; SO Bad that I am wishing for straight roads, with palm trees, wet or dry.
                Winter storm warning here untill 1pm Thursday. After that watch out for thick layer of salt on Interstates from Macon to ATL to Augusta.

Sorry I missed my South FL XSive friends.
                May the iguanas stay in the trees over head,
                Happy motoring,
                It is a great big beautiful world out there
                Brent in GA
                Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Hi Brent,
                  Nice ride report. Glad yu made it back before the ice arrived.
                  Now you are home. Turn off the weather channel and cook up some comfort food. Find a good book or a movie on Tv and enjoy Home.
                  Phil
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Brent's home is on a motorcycle. You don't put 200,000 miles on a bike in 10 - 12 years and only ride it part time if your a home body.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      Brent's home is on a motorcycle. You don't put 200,000 miles on a bike in 10 - 12 years and only ride it part time if your a home body.
                      hi Greg,
                      I know. I was just trying to guide him through the slippery ice section
                      Staying in doors it sometimes the wiser choice when the weather out side is unsuitable for 2 wheel travel.
                      Phil
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

i can feel that warm air, yes, looking out my window at a foot of snow.

sad that i missed this years ride..... had to buy a car.

enjoy the ride my friends

i must go shovel now.
                        80 xs1100G

Comment

Key West Go Pro video

A compilation of pics from my GoPro on the ride. This is a bit of the rough cut version. First attempt to do this.http://youtu.be/d1aeW4tbS1w

When I get a chance I'll clean it up and set the timing better so it isn't so jittery.
                          Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Made it home @ 3pm Wed, had a great ride, great seeing everybody again, thanks to everyone, special thanks to Jeff for all his efforts making this trip possible.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

There's Always Next Year, 2015 Winter Ride

This post from back on October 27th turned out to be pretty accurate based on all the latest storms and nasty weather.

Key West: A good ride to maybe think about doing next year if you can swing it.

Originally posted by JeffH View Post

For those up in snow country, this might be an enticement. Get a trailer, split expenses with somebody and come on down.
                              For those in the south or especially in Florida, please join the parade if you can.

Jeff
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Here are a few more Trip Pics.
                                Had a nice time and the weather was unusually nice. Not too hot, not too cool and loads of sun.
                                A few bike pics then some scenery stuff just for fun.

The XS11's on the Ride. Cobia, JSA and BikerPhil + missing Jeff.

Jonathan leading the group up US1 followed by Cobia

Key West, Mallory Square before the Sunset

Mallory Square Sunset Photo Op, cameras clicking

Party Cruise boat positioning for Sunset viewing

Sunset from Mallory Square

Famous Key West Mallory Square Sunset

Evening sunset ride across Everglade National Park from Flamingo (real tip of FLA) back to Florida City

Messing with the Alligator

Everglade City: Ted & Heather loading up after lunch at the 130+ year old Rod & Gun Club

That's it. A few pics.

Jeff
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                                X