No announcement yet.

Key West Winter Ride Feb 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, I'd sure like to make this at some point, but I'm going to be on a cruise at that time, so I'll be a bit further south than what you hit.

This ride is still on my bucket list. I've been to Key West quite a few times, but have always wanted to ride down there. May just have to take a few days at some point and do it. A little over 1500 miles from here, so easily do-able in 2 days each way. Especially if you hit that turnpike south out of Orlando. I've made 100 mph averages on that thing from Floriday City to Orlando, even counting in the stops for the toll booths. I had a rental one year that topped out at 128, and I was getting left behind and passed by some. Not the most scenic route, but you can get where you need to go.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Tod,

The Key West ride is a day to day adventure. Key West is just one stop along the way. Once you and your bike are in the Sunshine State, there is no hurry.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

ALWAYS in a hurry when in Floriday if heading to Key West. After I get there is when I'm not in a hurry any more. lol. Scuba diving or snorkelling during the day, Mallory square at sunset, Duval street people watching in the evenings (Where the freaks come out.. lol) with an adult beverage or three... I can get on some serious "Island time" while down there and never leave the states.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Adventure Ride

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
          Tod,

The Key West ride is a day to day adventure. Once you and your bike are in the Sunshine State, there is no hurry.
          Marty hit it spot-on!! We all congregate at Kingsland GA Feb 7th and begin a brisk putt-putt ride southward along the ocean
          stopping for scenery and good eats while trying to avoid the densely populated places. Observing Alligators and Iguana in their
          natural habitat has become a key part of the adventure + as stopping at as many cafecito kiosks as we can find along the way.
          We've now added Manatee stops too. It takes four days to get from GA-FL line to Key West. A perfect trip for a Special since we stop
          so much there is no need to plan fuel only pit-stops for the Specials.
          btw: there still is time to book motels so come join us Feb7th or any combination of days that works for you.

Jeff

Good example of what happens when we are not Heads Up paying attention
          Quite a sight ........... 'dinner is served'

78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Three Weeks until Florida Ride starts Feb7th

Are you getting a bit irritable?
            Is looking at your bike just sitting there making you crazy?
            Been too long since your last good ride?
            Cold of winter making you nuts?

These are all signs you should try and join us Feb 7th for the Florida Ride!

If you are turning into an Angry Ape then its time to make some reservations.

If you can't Ride-In on your bike and need to Trailer-In then PARKING is available at Don's in Tallahassee
            or at Day's Inn in Kingsland Georgia.

Jeff
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Two weeks and a day until on the Bike, one week less a day until we head South
              Ted and Heather

Comment

Update

There is still 1 room available for Sun night. Book now if interested because I need to cancel unclaimed rooms by Fri Jan 31
                Sunday Night February 9
                Monterey Inn and Marina $79 + tax (king room is $89)
                Stuart FL
                300 SW Monterey Road • Stuart, FL 34994
                Office: (772) 283-3500
                http://www.montereyinnandmarina.com/
                held under XS11 or hall/xs11

There is still 1 room available for Tues night. Book now if interested because I need to cancel unclaimed rooms by Fri Jan 31
                Tuesday Night February 11
                Looe Key Reef Resort http://www.diveflakeys.com/resort.html
                Office Hours are 8AM to 6PM EST. Phone # is: 1.877.816.3483
                27340 Overseas Highway
                Ramrod Key, FL 33042

-or if you prefer CAMPING @ www.leoscampground.com/wp
                Key West, FL
                Phone 305.296.5260

I'm getting ready to ride south on Feb 7th with Brent. In the process of changing the oil-filter and replacing tire-tube. That will hopefully get me 2,000 miles for this ride.

1) PM me if you want me to email you the GPS routes / motels / key stops.

2) Atlanta meet point will likely be in Snellville or Covington on I20. More on that later.

3) Hope some of the FLA XSives will be able to join us for dinner or lunch-ride as we work our way south to Key West. Saturday JAX to Daytona, Sunday Daytona to Titusville to Stuart, Monday Stuart to FLA City. On the return we will be in Fort Myers and then Sarasota. PM if you care to meet us.

Time to go twist some wrenches and wrestle with the tire & rim locks so I'm ready to ride.

Jeff
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Show Time

Making progress this afternoon!!

XS11E: Oil & filter is done, no leaks. Got the new rear tire & brake pads on. Ground & Pos & Batt connections cleaned too.
                  Just need to check Mid & FD fluid levels in the AM. I think it is almost ready to ride to Kingsland GA.

Weather is looking reasonable so far and it was sunny - 68 here this afternoon. Nice working on the bike laying in the sunshine.
                  Just hope weather holds up ok for the 350 mile ride down to the sunshine in Florida.

FYI: I cancelled the unclaimed motel rooms last night. Likely you can still snag a room if you want to join us and call by Mon or Tue.
                  That's about it. Will be heading to the meet point in Florida on Friday AM.

Let the FUN begin.

Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Roll Call?

Hi Jeff,

So do we have a roll call as to who's all coming along with us? It'd be fun to know.

You can count on three of us from FL, Phil, Jonathan, and me.

I'll be changing my oil/filter and MD/FD oil before the ride as well.
                    1980G Standard, Restored
                    Kerker 4 - 1
                    850 Rear End Mod
                    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                    Automatic CCT
                    1980GH Special, Restored
                    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                      Hi Jeff,

So do we have a Roll Call as to who's all coming along with us? It'd be fun to know.

You can count on three of us from FL, Phil, Jonathan, and me.

Echo - Echo - Echo ! Hello... Hello... Hello... out there, anybody want to ride, ride, ride??
                      For starters, actually don't exactly know. We are an elusive group sometimes.

It seems the unusually nasty weather in the hinterlands may have broken the spirit of some prospective riders.
                      I thought some of the HSLD (high speed - long distance) XSives may have seen a ride window but I guess not.
                      Ted & Heather are already on their way down from Canada. Brent will ride a couple days then have to head back home Sunday night.
                      Don from Tallahassee and then me. Plus y'all, that's the for sure list.

There are some that really wanted to participate but cannot because of work and kids and other stuff. Hope others can join and
                      I will be checking PM's along the way. If weather is good maybe a day rider will join us.

Jeff
                      Last edited by JeffH; 02-04-2014, 03:27 PM.
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Hey,
                        Worry not, we're all in, let's ride down to the Conch Republic and have some fun. We're good 'til thursday.
                        1980G Standard, Restored
                        Kerker 4 - 1
                        850 Rear End Mod
                        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                        Automatic CCT
                        1980GH Special, Restored
                        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Hi Jeff,
                          I would love to be able to make this ride again. just not going to happen this year. Ride safe and have a good time.
                          post lots of pictures for those of us stuck in the snow.
                          Maxim Phil
                          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

We left Ottawa, Monday evening, looks like it paid off, now in Salma NC, and we missed all the snow. Its a bit foggy. We will be in Kingsland this afternoon.

Ted and Heather

Comment

Arrived Kingsland, light rain and 74F, sure beats -15F
                              Ted

Comment

Hi Ted
                                Well done. You certainly did dodge a big one up here. We got about a foot of snow to day here in Mississauga. Ottawa is probably getting a big dump to night. Enjoy the sunshine and warm.
                                Phil
                                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                                X