Key West Winter Ride Feb 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key West Winter Ride Feb 2014

Anybody interested in an XSive Winter Ride to Key West??

- Dates: Thinking about meeting up Friday Feb 7th 2014 in Kingsland GA (off I-95) then starting the "Rolling Rally" on Saturday Feb 8th.

- Destination: Key West, Florida

(last year Feb 2013 we did the ride along the Gulf Coast route FL, AL, MS, LA, TX to Galveston so this year we were thinking about meeting up with the bunch-o'-fun South Florida contingent again for this upcoming Feb 2014 ride).

- Route: In 2012 we started in Kingsland GA then headed south along the Atlantic coast. That was FUN so let's do that one again.

As before there is plenty of secure Trailer Parking at Don's place north of I-10 in Tallahassee. Also, the Day's Inn @ Kingsland GA was OK with trailer parking there too for the people trailering down I-95 or I-75 from snow country. (mike p, that doesn't include north Atlanta; you don't need another shortest distance Trailering Award)

I think we already have Don & Jeff & Earl & Ted-Heather planning to ride. Not sure who else just yet. Post or PM if you are interested.

If we did something similar to Feb 2012 the schedule would be something like this:
    Fri 7th - Kingsland GA
    Sat 8th - Flagler Beach
    Sun 9th - Stuart
    Mon 10th - Key Largo
    Tue 11th - Key West
    Wed 12th - Key West
    Thu 13th - Florida City
    Fri 14th - Fort Myers
    Sat 15th - say Leesburg
    Riders adjust their return north from Fort Myers based on when they need to get home. Normally Tallahassee and Kingsland groups ride north together to Gainesville then split off NW or NE as they need.

During the week Key West is cheaper and has better availability vs. the weekend. Would be great to meet up the the FLA XSives for some or all of the ride too.
    + we have a BLAST !!! -and- Key West is always a HOOT !!!

So, this is first pass. Nothing specific yet until we figure out who would be interesting in a February Ride. However, we should lock in plans and check motels within the next few weeks (say by Nov 10th) so people can start planning time off and making their motel reservations. So, what ya think??

zoom-zoom,
    Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Looking forward to riding with you guys when you come thru.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

hmmmm....you'd be passing me....ish....

I'm on the west coast.
      79F
      "Excelsior"
      Honda gl1100 handlebar
      Vetter IV fairing with speaker system
      OE headers,Jardine slipons
      Hid headlight 6000k
      Stock jets
      Shinko 712 F & R
      Oe hardbags and luggage rack
      TC fuse block
      K&n filter with oe airbox
      Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

Hi Jeff,
        Sounds like another grand parade around the sunny southern shores While I probably will not be able to attend i will follow along the planning and keep buying lottery tickets
        Maxim Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by sparkfly88 View Post
          hmmmm....you'd be passing me....ish....
          I'm on the west coast.
          Yup, you should join us / meet us if you can. That would be great ....
          2008-to-2011 we left Tallahassee and rode down the Gulf side to motel in Bradenton the first night. Then had dinner at Yoder's or Der Dutchman on Bahia Vista St. For a change, 2012 we decided to start south on the Atlantic side. We also try and stop at the Everglade City Seafood Festival on Friday afternoon. However, this year the sea festival is on Feb 7-8-9. Easy access Biker Motels in Sarasota are tough to find and weekend pricing in Sara is more than North Fort Myers or Bradenton ++ as you know, traffic Tamiami Trail and from I-75 to US41 is nasty Friday pm.

If you can join us southbound at say Monday Belle Glade or northbound Thursday Florida City that would be great. Better yet, Belle Glade and go to Key West with the group. No specific itinerary or plans yet, but let us know if you are interested.

Phil: Lottery - Yes indeed !!! Win some Mega Lottery .......... and then just ride-ride-ride. Good Luck, even a $10K hit would be good enough but with $100M win we'd likely never see you again. On your yacht parked in Monaco??

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Freewheelin' Franklin said, "Dope will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no dope." It's almost like jobs and vacation. You gotta have one to have the other. Unfortunately, I have none of the latter right now.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              Freewheelin' Franklin said, "Dope will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no dope." It's almost like jobs and vacation. You gotta have one to have the other. Unfortunately, I have none of the latter right now.
              Hi Marty,
              No dope for me
              I spent all my money on Beer and Bikes... the rest I just wasted is more my style.
              Phil
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                Yup, you should join us / meet us if you can. That would be great ....

Phil: Lottery - Yes indeed !!! Win some Mega Lottery .......... and then just ride-ride-ride. Good Luck, even a $10K hit would be good enough but with $100M win we'd likely never see you again. On your yacht parked in Monaco??

Jeff
                Hi Jeff,
                Even $100M would not get rid of me While I might have a yacht I doubt Monaco would be where I would park it.
                WE would do some awesome rides though. Starting with Key West in February
                Phil
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

I'd love to do a Key West ride, but I don't have the time you all have scheduled for it. And even though hotel costs may be a bit less during the week, Duval street is a hoot on Fri and Sat nights.

It's still on my "To do" ride list. Hope you guys have a great ride.
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                    I'd love to do a Key West ride, but I don't have the time you all have scheduled for it. And even though hotel costs may be a bit less during the week, Duval street is a hoot on Fri and Sat nights.

It's still on my "To do" ride list. Hope you guys have a great ride.
                    Yes, hoot with capital letters: A "H O O T"
                    For a few years the plan had us staying in Bradenton on Thursday night, Florida City or Key Largo Friday night and then Key West on Saturday night. We had to change to a weeknight because the trans-whatever guy-gals keep bothering Earl so much we had to leave. Their marketing and solicitations weren't to the kind of establishments we were looking for. They are sure pro's at being noticed riding in that pink Cadillac convertible.

-and- yup, this is a "To Do" experience. So good in fact, I've done it 4 times this will be 5.

Jeff
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

I grew up in South Fla and would love to join you guys, but I can't take that much time off work.

My sister still lives in Naples and she's now riding a Virago. She would love to join me and ride down to the keys.
                      When we were kids we would spend weeks/months in the keys with our father. (he sells boats)

Maybe if I hit the Lotto/Powerball, then I can come. (Phil and I have the same Idea!)
                      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                      The Green Monster
                      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                      Got him in '04.
                      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                      Scarlet
                      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                      Got her in '11
                      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                      Hugo
                      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                      Cold weather ride

Comment

February in Key West

For those up in snow country, this might be an enticement. Get a trailer, split expenses with somebody and come on down.
                        For those in the south or especially in Florida, please join the parade if you can.

Jeff
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Florida Ride Sleep Joints

Here are the Motels for our February Florida Ride. These should be OK. Like at the grocery store, prices are going UP - UP. Especially anywhere in the Florida Keys where minimum motel prices have jumped +75% in a couple years to $200+ per night (weekdays). Example: the $109 we paid at Spanish Gardens in Key West in Feb 2012 is now a whopping $189 a night.

Anywhere "KEYS" seems to be in big demand for this upcoming season. Most places for mid-January to mid-March are already FULLY BOOKED over 3 months ahead. I've not seen that before, especially with these new record high prices in the Keys. Guess that "bad economy" is over for some. So if you want a room I'd book it ASAP then find a roomie to split the $bux!

***Any of these rooms can be CANCELLED in January if your plans change. If you "think" you might want to ride then I'd highly recommend making the Reservations ASAP now*** btw: room selection criteria was location/price/walk to restaurant (if possible) and avoiding long marathon runs to get in before dark. Sunrise: 7am Sunset: 6pm

Friday Night February 7
                          Days Inn $49 + tax
                          Kingsland GA
                          I-95 exit 3 just north of FLA state line (mention if you need to park truck/trailer)
                          1353 Highway 40 East, Kingsland, GA, US, 31548
                          http://www.daysinn.com/
                          Direct phone is: 912-729-7666 or Days Inn toll free @ 800.225.3297
                          Most of ride group will assemble here Fri night. If you prefer, Microtel and many other motels near by.

Saturday Night February 8
                          Super 8 Daytona Beach Oceanfront $60+ tax
                          Daytona Beach FL
                          700 North Atlantic (near end of FL Hwy 430) Daytona Beach FL
                          http://www.super8.com/
                          Call motel direct at: 1.386.872.5201 or Super8 toll free 800.454.3213

Sunday Night February 9
                          Monterey Inn and Marina $79 + tax (king room is $89)
                          Stuart FL
                          300 SW Monterey Road • Stuart, FL 34994
                          Office: (772) 283-3500
                          http://www.montereyinnandmarina.com/
                          4 Doubles and 1 Kings held under XS11 or hall/xs11
                          Can cancel up to January 15th if you need to cancel
                          They have BBQ Grill by the Marina we can use if we want to burn some burgers + for dinner!

Monday Night February 10
                          Travelodge Florida City / Homestead $99 + tax
                          Florida City FL
                          * we’ve been here few times before
                          Direct phone is 305.248.9777 or Toll Free (800) 525 4055
                          http://www.travelodge.com or direct link: http://www.tlflcity.com/#axzz2k3uiAZou

***** YOUR CHOICE - PICK ONE OF THESE 3 FOR TUESDAY NIGHT Feb 11 *****
                          Tuesday Night February 11
                          Travelodge Florida City / Homestead $99 + tax
                          Florida City FL
                          Direct phone is 305.248.9777 or Toll Free (800) 525 4055
                          http://www.travelodge.com or direct link: http://www.tlflcity.com/#axzz2k3uiAZou

**** -OR- ****
                          Spanish Gardens $189 + tax
                          Key West FL
                          1325 Simonton Street, Key West, FL 33040
                          (305) 294-1051 / Toll Free: 1-888-898-1051
                          http://spanishgardensmotel.com

**** -OR- ****

Leo’s Campground $49 for tent camping (one site for max 2 people on gravel pad)
                          5236 Suncrest Road just of US1
                          www.leoscampground.com/wp
                          Key West, FL
                          Phone 305.296.5260

Wednesday Night February 12
                          Super 8 $75 + tax
                          Fort Myers FL
                          2717 Colonial Blvd (4 story with outside doors, ask for bottom floor parking lot side)
                          Direct Phone 239.275.3500 or toll free (800) 454.3213
                          http://www.super8.com

Thursday Night February 13
                          Knights Inn Sarasota $80 +tax
                          Sarasota FL
                          5340 North Tamiami Trail / US41
                          Direct Phone 941.355.8867 or toll free (800) 477.0629
                          www.knightsinn.com

Friday night Feb 14 motel depends on what group would like to See & Do on Friday. Having Friday as a ride, poke along or putz flex day should be good.

The Motel for Saturday Night on the return north depends on weather in South Georgia, mood, and what everybody feels like doing and there need to get back home. Motel availability and price is not an issue in Mid & North Florida.

At least now we can get the ball rolling and lock in some motels before its too late to get a room.

My disclaimer: "as always, should you or any of your I.M. Force be caught or (or have trouble with a reservation), the Secretary (jeff) will disavow any knowledge of your actions"

Jeff
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

For those thinking of doing this. Who have not been before.
                            Staying in Florida City for TWO nights means you do not have to carry your gear to Key West. You can enjoy the same ride down to KW as everyone and I recommend you stay for the Sunset from Mallory pier. It gets dark real fast after the sun sets. The ride back to Florida City is not bad as very little traffic after dark.
                            As a life long member of "CheapBastads" I did this

Advantages of STAYING in Key West are you get to SPEND tons of money on hotel and fine dining and too much beer and picking up chicks and being silly etc
                            Pick your poison and book now

Phil
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Started booking motels
                              Ted and Heather

Comment

Working...
                              X