Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally broke cover

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
    Hey... is this the same Jeff who we rode with at the XSive riders rally? He is a great rider on that Triumph too... Welcome Jeff...
    Yeah, that's me... decided to 'break cover' as maximphil indicated. Thanks! Would be great if you could take the K-W ride but we will post some pics along the way.
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Fri Feb3 Hotel Planning

Quick Hotel Update:

We are working on plans for Friday February 3rd. Starting off Feb3 in Florida City, with couple hours ride to Seafood Festival in Everglades City (with stop at the alligator pit for some entertainment and break). After lunch and Cuban Coffee stop in Everglades City we plan to head to Sarasota which is about 3 1/2 + hours ride. (* or North Ft Myers see option below)

Since we get into Sarasota around dark it might be better to stay at AmericInn at I-75 exit 210 / Fruitville Rd. AmericInn is only 4 miles to Yoder's or Troyers Amish Buffet but motel costs $104 +tax. Cheaper $70 motels are on US41 south of the airport but the Friday night traffic getting there could be nasty. From the Sarasota US41 motels it is 7 miles on US41/US301 in traffic to Troyers on Bahia Vista St for dinner. AmericInn more expensive but much less traffic hassle with easy drive to Amish restaurants.

However, Friday night in FLA peak season - in best areas - is extremely expensive. If we skip Sarasota and the Amish Buffet we could maybe stay at North Fort Myers EconoLodge or Days Inn on US41 for about $50 bucks. Then walk down the street to Mississippi Matt's BBQ or O'Sullivans Irish Tavern. That saves 70 miles ride at dusk to Sarasota. If we took this option then on Saturday AM could take quick ride out to Sanibel Island or Ft Myers beach before heading north.

Any suggestions or preferences from the K-W Riders group?? Maybe some SW FLA XSives can join us Friday night !
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

SW Hotel

Hey Jeff,
        You may want to ask Lon Ross, aka - XS1100_OEM4ME about this area. He's from Ft Myers.
        Having lived in the Sarasota area I can tell you that it's probably not very cycle friendly and definitely very expensive.
        In my estimation, the Ft Myers area has a lot more to offer as a destination, such as more interesting eateries and attractions like the Edison Mansion/Museum. Ft myers was his second/winter home, quite interesting.
        Hotels are more reasonable as well.
        JMTCW.....
        Phil and I will probably blast back to home base after your stop in FL City.
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
          Yeah, that's me... decided to 'break cover' as maximphil indicated. Thanks! Would be great if you could take the K-W ride but we will post some pics along the way.
          Wish I could join in...but this event happens right in the middle of the school year and I doubt I'd ever have the time to get away. Good news is that I have 8 weeks of summer vacation!
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

amish buffet is out, maybe next year.

Fort Myers is in.

walk down the street to Mississippi Matt's BBQ or O'Sullivans Irish Tavern.

Saturday AM could take quick ride out to Sanibel Island or Ft Myers beach before heading north.
            80 xs1100G

Comment

big thanks to the new guy. going to be another great ride.

80 xs1100G

Comment

Florida - Key West riding

** Florida 2012 countdown Begins **

We plan to post the Jan27 to Feb4 Florida Trip summary in a couple of days. In case anyone is concerned, I promise not to take the group on any Dirt / Sand roads this year (although the 11 mile 'off roadin' Shortcut last year was fun - a bit sporty with highway bikes - and did save us a bunch of time and miles) on the way from Bradenton to Everglade City.

For reference see the Dec 20th posting about Motels. That covers Jan 27 to Feb 2. I am still holding a few rooms at Topaz in Flagler Beach, Monterrey Marina in Stuart and Spanish Gardens in Key West in case you decide to join us. I have reserved the 3 Houseboats at Key Largo Boatel so don't call there because I've already made the arrangements.

Also, if anyone is interested in joining us along the way for lunch - dinner - day ride with the group etc. send me or earlg a PM so we can work out the details to meet up with you.

We will be staying in Fort Myers on Friday Feb 3rd. Likely Econo Lodge on 13301 N Cleveland which is $53 + tax with Feb2 cancel - refund option. BBQ joint in walking distance in case we want to keep the bikes parked after check-in. However, waiting to hear on price from Travel Lodge at 4760 S Cleveland but think their cheap rate was non-refundable. We will have this motel stuff all finalized in a couple days so you can finish making your reservations -or- make your reservations if you haven't yet. If you have the time and inclination to ride please join us if you can. Happy New Year !
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Anyone looking for a room mate during the trip? Just heard from Jeff on the cost of the boat. I'd rather share a room with someone the rest of the nights rather than pay for the whole room. It would make it easier do do the trip.
                  "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                  1981 LH

Comment

Thank goodness for Phil reminding me what time of the year we are in and how close we are to the Key West ride. Please save me some space in Key Largo and Key West. I am not sure yet whether I will stay the night in Florida City on the way back and join you guys in Everglades City. At least I won't have to rush back home to get to a Superbowl party this year.

Earl, thanks for getting this thing going.

-Jonathan
                    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Motel in Fort Myers Fri Feb 3

Here is where we plan to stay in Fort Myers on Friday Feb 3rd.

Econo Lodge North (FL363)
                      13301 N. Cleveland, Fort Myers, FL, US, 33903
                      Phone: (239) 995-0571
                      Fax: (239) 995-9143

http://www.econolodge.com/

I just made my reservation online and a double room was $53.99 + tax. I recommend that you reserve now since you get a cancellation option up to Thurs Feb 2 at 4pm. fyi, there is a Days Inn adjacent to this place that shares a parking lot if you would rather stay at the Days Inn. There are a couple restaurants within walking distance of the Motel if we just want to park um' and walk to dinner. After big lunch at the Everglade City Seafood Festival we will likely need to walk a bit before tackling some BBQ.

See the Dec 20th post for the other Motel listings and their contact info if you need. We can plan activities / destinations for Sat Feb 4th sometime during the trip. Seems some of group will split up Sat AM as some need to start heading north while a few stay in S FLA a bit longer. We should have 11 people, maybe 12 in Key Largo and Key West which will be fun.

Jeff
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Hey Jonathan, glad you can make it. I'm riding up to meet Cobia Sun. night and stay up there in Jupiter, then ride a little further north to Stuart Mon. morning to meet the group at their motel. We can take the scenic Martin Hwy over past Lake O down thru Pahokee and down the 27 to Krome av on to Key Largo. Gonna join in the ride on down Mon. morning?
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

My plan is to go to work in the morning and meetup around lunch time as everyone is heading south. Meet somewhere around 595 or Griffin Road and drive south with the group if all works out that way. Otherwise I may have to drive down later depending on how busy I am that day.
                          Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

I wish I could go.
                            I grew up in Naples and have taken many trips to the Keys and Everglades City too.
                            Have fun and watch the weather.
                            My sister says there's a freeze warning down there.
                            By the time you guys ride, hopefully is warms up a bit.

Have fun and ride safe.
                            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                            The Green Monster
                            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                            Got him in '04.
                            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                            Scarlet
                            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                            Got her in '11
                            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                            Hugo
                            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                            Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by thumperjsa View Post
                              My plan is to go to work in the morning and meetup around lunch time as everyone is heading south. Meet somewhere around 595 or Griffin Road and drive south with the group if all works out that way. Otherwise I may have to drive down later depending on how busy I am that day.
                              That sounds good J.

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                              I wish I could go.
                              I grew up in Naples and have taken many trips to the Keys and Everglades City too.
                              Have fun and watch the weather.
                              My sister says there's a freeze warning down there.
                              By the time you guys ride, hopefully is warms up a bit.

Have fun and ride safe.
                              George, hope you can make it next time. The cold snaps usually last 2-3 days down here and then creep back to the normal 75F daytime temps <fingers crossed>
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

Comment

Change of plans for Cobia and I, we'd like to stay at the Spanish Gardens instead of camping near KW, still trying to work out the details.
                                2H7 (79)
                                3H3

Comment

Working...
                                X