No announcement yet.

2011 XSive Riders Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If any of you locals in the area are free I am riding up to two Friday for lunch if they are still serving... plus I might check out some other places. I did like the high valleyplace. Looks nice. Didn't know what Gary mentioned about the layout but it did have camping. Bunk houses and cabins. And its near two. But have no fear there are tons of places here. Helen has alot of cool stuff to offer as well. An old friend used to own tanglewood cabins and she's helping me look
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

Comment

Originally posted by yamahansolo View Post
      If any of you locals in the area are free I am riding up to two Friday for lunch if they are still serving... plus I might check out some other places. I did like the high valleyplace. Looks nice. Didn't know what Gary mentioned about the layout but it did have camping. Bunk houses and cabins. And its near two. But have no fear there are tons of places here. Helen has alot of cool stuff to offer as well. An old friend used to own tanglewood cabins and she's helping me look
      High Valley looks nice but thers no restaurant so we'd have to do our own cooking and bring our own groceries.
      1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
      2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

It mentioned something about freds place like they sserved food there. But also helen has tons of food places that you can walk or ride to. The other place isin suchess and there's not much there. For those who don't know helen is an Alpine village. They have festivals and. All kinds of stuff.
        " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
        8mm msd wires
        tkat fork brace...
        Fox shocks...
        mikes650 front fender
        led's gallore...
        renthal bars
        gold valve emulators
        vmax tensioner
        Rifle fairing

Comment

Originally posted by yamahansolo View Post
          It mentioned something about freds place like they sserved food there. But also helen has tons of food places that you can walk or ride to. The other place isin suchess and there's not much there. For those who don't know helen is an Alpine village. They have festivals and. All kinds of stuff.
          Yeah its artsy fartsy tourist trap...lots of traffic on weekends
          1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
          2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by xsroadrunner View Post
            Yeah its artsy fartsy tourist trap...lots of traffic on weekends
            With a liquor store at the end of town...DAMHIK

Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

That. Timeof the year helen has almost no traffic, marty, ben and I rode through there and ate lunch at one of the best places in the south for bbq. I think we rode through on Thursday??? Plus. If you want 20 bucks a night I am sure some of the places rates drop afterthe kids go back to school.
              I just hate to seeit move from GAjust because TWO closes next week. I am going there for lunch on Friday hopefully they are still serving

79 xs11 standard
              8mm msd wires
              tkat fork brace...
              Fox shocks...
              mikes650 front fender
              led's gallore...
              renthal bars
              gold valve emulators
              vmax tensioner
              Rifle fairing

Comment

Oopps sorry Earl I meant you I don't know why I wrote marty ???? Too much LDS I guess

79 xs11 standard
                8mm msd wires
                tkat fork brace...
                Fox shocks...
                mikes650 front fender
                led's gallore...
                renthal bars
                gold valve emulators
                vmax tensioner
                Rifle fairing

Comment

Like to hear what this place is like when you stop, but here is what I get from the web site:

As nice as High Valley is...there is nothing in Suches to keep us there. TWO was the only reason we went there. If we have to travel to 10 miles or more for eats that kills it. I think they will find with out TWO, Suches is dead.

The cabins at High Valley are $150 to $165 a night, one of them only sleeps 3(a king and two doubles) , the other 6 (4 in two bunk beds) and the others 4 cabins sleep 4. They do have internet and the same cell tower as TWO. They have a full kitchen and fridge....so we can do food, just no places to eat close by.

I would say the draw backs are nothing (food, beer, liquor) is close by, and cost.

They do have group rates but only applies if you rent out all 6 cabins (10% off)...they also have a dormitory that sleeps 10 for $20 a night, but you have to book and pay all at once.

They even charge $30 for a bonfire!!

From the web:

High Valley's Log Cabins are your "home away from home". They feature luxurious accommodations complete with gourmet kitchen, dining/living room, two bathrooms, "rocking chair" front porch, screened back porch overlooking a mountain stream in a lush fern forest setting. Each cabin has a downstairs bedroom with a king size bed and an upstairs bedroom with two twin beds. In addition to the two bedrooms, the Bearcat, Husky, Stearman & Piper cabins have a loft area above the kitchen with two full size beds. The Mustang cabin has two bunk beds (4 twins) in this loft area, instead of the two full beds. The Cub cabin only has the king size bed downstairs and two twin beds in an upstairs loft. Cabins have satellite TV with VCR/DVD, AM/FM & CD, wood burning fireplace (wood not included) and gas grill. Cabins do not have telephones, there is a cell phone tower nearby. Cabins have all necessary kitchen, bedroom and bath linens.There are also designated areas around the cabins with picnic tables and fire rings. For the ultimate relaxing week or weekend, these log cabins are sure to be your favorite hideaway.
                  Gary Granger
                  Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                  2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Quote:

"A motorcycle can’t sing on the streets of a city." Unknown

Comment

Nice!! A 10 minute edit, WTF is that crap!!

I also mentioned parking fees when talking about the bunkhouses.

Not sure what Franks Place is but sounds like you have to have them make special meals for the group, maybe not.

Like to hear what you find.
                    Gary Granger

Quote:

Comment

I'm not home to check it out, but Dahlonega has some "cheap" hotels and plenty of places to eat. If this isn't settled by then I'll scope it out when I get home. I agree with Gary. Without TWO, Suches is out. There's nothing there for us. The XS650 group is going to the Iron Horse in April. We'll see how it goes, as they're a frugal bunch, too!

Marty (in Maui)
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

I was thinking that moving north would get us away from the bicycles too...it this still their weekend? Anywhere in this area is clogged with bicycles......

Dahlonega is almost too far south for most of the good roads in my opinion.
                        Gary Granger

Quote:

Comment

Here is another place that was posted in the other thread:

http://www.cabinsatnantahala.com/
                          Gary Granger

Quote:

Comment

I Like it right in the center of everything 28 one of the best roads.

What ya think time to start a poll?

XSively
                            Bruce
                            Bruce Gerken
                            '79 XS1100SF
                            "The Black"
                            '2009 BMW k1300GT'
                            The Red Sled.
                            St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

60 comes right out of dahlonega and its a doozy! Its got awesome curves and on of the funnest roads around there.
                              But ithink somewhere around or above cleveland or helen would work good. Wolf pen gap deadends onto 129 just north of cleveland. All the good roads are close by.there are so many place to choose from.
                              Don't worry I m still looking.
                              I didn't get a chance to lookat highvalley, I went down to riders hill and got 2 new tires. Got a great deal on them!!! But rerealized why I don't allow shops to work on my bike. No other bikes in front of mine so they wheeled it in as iwalked over to the food area for lunch. About an hour. Later I went back and the idiots. Still hadn't gotten the back wheel off!!! Wtf. It was like watching a monkey fu&* a football!!! And the other guy there made a smart ass comment about that's why he doesn't work on japaneese bikes! That pissed me off so I politly told him that bike is by far the easiest one I have worked on and they should have had the rear wheel off in 15 mins. I have a kerker so you only take the can off. These guys were awful.
                              I rode home and it felt a little squirly but I. Attributed iit to new tires... well this morning after riding it to work I decided to give ita once over!!! Glad I did. Just wished I did it at the shop. The rear axel pinch. Bolt was so loose I unscrewed it by. Hand. And the acorn nut on the rear brake caliper mount was about half a thrread from falling off. And the back bolt on the bottom of the fork that hold up thefrot. Axel was a couple turns from falling off. Idiots!! And besides telling them it takes 15 mins to take the wheel offi was nice,we were all talking and they complimented me on ow great the bike looks... so I don't think it was on purpose. Maybe I should loosenn them back up, crash, sue them for 1.5 milllion and buy TWO

79 xs11 standard
                              8mm msd wires
                              tkat fork brace...
                              Fox shocks...
                              mikes650 front fender
                              led's gallore...
                              renthal bars
                              gold valve emulators
                              vmax tensioner
                              Rifle fairing

Comment

I know 60 is great and so is 19/129 and so is Wolf Pen 180 etc., these are the same great roads we did every year because of TWO, if the rest of the population is fine with that so am I . Just saying there is no sense limiting ourselves to the same roads if TWO is gone AND they have a bike race the same weekend. We put up with the bicycles because we were first, but they honestly ruin our riding in this area...anyone know if it the same weekend?

Once we get settled on a few suitable places we should put up a poll I guess, right now we have NONE that offer everything we want (including cheap as TWO was).

Ironhorse is starting to look good (little more money for people who want a inside room with private bathouse) but has other stuff and good location.
                                Gary Granger

Quote:

Comment

Working...
                                X