2006 Vintage rally at TWO, Suches GA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Vintage rally at TWO, Suches GA

Sorry to start this thread but Rob's forum seems to be down again.

Had some interesting info:

Operation Dragon Slowdown:

http://citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.d...D=200660617030

Troopers take to motorcycles

Rise in rider deaths prompts new efforts
    by Jon Ostendorff, jostendo@citizen-times.com
    published June 18, 2006 12:15 am

ROBBINSVILLE — State troopers on BMW motorcycles will keep motorcyclists company this summer and fall on the curves of scenic routes and thrill rides such as the world famous “Tail of the Dragon.”

The N.C. Highway Patrol, in an operation last month in Graham County called “Dragon Slow Down,” netted 20 speeders — three of whom were traveling more than 75 mph on the curves of two-lane U.S. 129.

The Highway Patrol’s new effort on mountain roads comes as the number of motorcycle fatalities in the state is increasing. Deaths were up 18 percent from 2003 to 2004, when 120 people were killed in motorcycle accidents.

The operation’s mission is not only enforcement, but to set a good example for fellow riders.

This year, two people have died on Western North Carolina roads in motorcycle crashes and a third was paralyzed. One was a motorcyclist near the Dragon, a road that has claimed nine lives in four years.

“I think motorcycle cops are a wonderful idea,” said Victoria Harlan-Allison of Cherokee, who rides a Harley-Davidson 883 Custom. “People who don’t ride motorcycles, a lot of the time, it’s because they don’t like them. And so therefore having an officer who rides — he understands. It’s a culture.”

The troopers on motorcycles will be on patrol in WNC one weekend a month through October.

Read more at the link above!
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

I was pretty inflamed when I read that article last week.

Typical slanted, one sided, how-to-lie-with-statistics article. I believe those 120 deaths were all over the state, not at the Dragon. In fact the article states one of those 2 deaths was "...near..." the Dragon. The other 118 were everywhere else, so it makes sense to target the Dragon. I guess if they don't want bikers to go there they should just post that.

And of course publish one opinion from one rider who rides a straight line bike, and who does not speak english, and be sure everyone believes it to be the consensus of ALL bikers...

Krap!
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Comment

And of course publish one opinion from one rider who rides a straight line bike, and who does not speak english, and be sure everyone believes it to be the consensus of ALL bikers...

Krap! [/B][/QUOTE]

Bikers, maybe. It is about image and " Its a culture???"
      Riders and motorcylists, probably not.

PR mostly, Of course PD is expected to due some enforcement.

"The troopers on motorcycles will be on patrol in WNC one weekend a month through October"
      At least we are warned about when they will be there. Figure out which weekend, and that leaves 27 days per mo Free and Clear. also mon - thurs thru october and eveyday after that.
      Even without this limioted target enforcement, Watch out on 129 northboiund just past the dragon. By the lake next to the broad gently sweeping curves with plenty ofn sight distance, while your right wrist is itching to flex, as your bike is beginning to Sing to you as it acelerates, Look for the local Sherrif on the left by the boat ramp. The speed limit is still low here, 75 mph is not especially challenging in this spot, plenty of parking and merge onto roadway acess. Big generater of local revenue.

Happy motoring.
      Brent in GA

State troopers on BMW traveling the dragon is not near as scary as big trucks there. Be careful about using a delayed apex line on a blind right hand curve. Trucks will often cut the corner taking half ofr more of your lane. I have encountered this on hwy 60 and hwy 19W.
      It is a great big beautiful world out there
      Brent in GA
      Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Is there no rally at suches this year? TIA. Later 'Dog

Comment

10/14/06 and 10/15/06

All of us that have made plans revations are going to be there . Gary and I are going down early this year to prerun the roads ya know we need more time each year to find better roads

XSively
          Bruce
          Bruce Gerken
          '79 XS1100SF
          "The Black"
          '2009 BMW k1300GT'
          The Red Sled.
          St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

Thanks Bruce, looking forward to the rally again this year. Later 'Dog

Comment

Ummm...2007, I guess I skipped a year. Changed to 2006
              Gary Granger

Comment

Suches

I've already reserved a cabin at High Vally Resort for the whole week!
                Walt
                80 XS11s - "Landshark"
                79 XS11s
                03 Valkyrie
                80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
                78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
                81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

New cell tower going up. Too bad it may not be ready by mid-October.

T.W.O. Motorcycle Resort
                  http://www.twowheelsonly.com
                  The first service on the tower will be Verizon, (their tower) but expect
                  other services to follow. The county put a stipulation in the permit
                  that other carriers be allowed to collocate on the same tower, to reduce
                  the amount of towers in a given area..
                  Gary Granger

Comment

I'll be there for the full weekend. I'm going further south to Enterprise, Al. to see "Mom" for a few days first, then I'll be in Suches on Friday! I'll be trailering Godzilla since I'll be travelling alot farther than just from Va. to Suches, and I don't want to be saddle sore when I get there!!

I'm pretty sure Ralph Meeks will be there. Hoping GNEPIG will make it? I'm sure Brent will be there!! I would also expect MartyA and "Ilene".

I'll have a new front tire by then, and also hope to have my TT swapped out. Not sure what other mods I'll have done by then?
                    But I'll definitely be ready to "Twist and Shout"!!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sally is going to give it a try this year, so the 3 of us will be along - me, Sally, and 'Ilene' - we'll do our best to keep up.

I can only take the weekend off, so we leave after work Thursday, arrive sometime Friday, ride till Sunday afternoon and then head back Sunday evening.

It will be good to see all those great old bikes and great old friends.
                      Marty in NW PA
                      This IS my happy face.

Comment

I am glad to see all my good frends are going to be there two.

Hey Marty if your going to try to keep up your still giong to be waiting for me.

XSively
                        Bruce
                        Bruce Gerken
                        '79 XS1100SF
                        "The Black"
                        '2009 BMW k1300GT'
                        The Red Sled.
                        St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

Leave some sparks once in a while so I can follow the gentle glow over the horizon...
                          Marty in NW PA
                          This IS my happy face.

Comment

I'll be there Friday. Trucking the Fizzy down. Looking forward to some great Fall riding in the hills. Probably be camping unless I can arrange something else. Still need to call TWO for options. See ya in Oct!

Comment

Getting Ready

I oreded new tires chain and sprokets brake pads last week of sept tune up .making my list checking it twice were leaving when. It,s been a long year realy looking foward to this

XSively
                              Bruce
                              Bruce Gerken
                              '79 XS1100SF
                              "The Black"
                              '2009 BMW k1300GT'
                              The Red Sled.

Comment

Working...
                              X