Traveling to the Mom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling to the Mom?

I was planning on riding out with another guy but his plans have changed. I'm up for the ride but not solo. I'm just not comfortable doing a 1500 mile one way without company so is anybody from the eastern part of the US riding out? I'm in southern Md and will ride to meet up with someone for the trip. Maybe some one from Virginia or the Carolinas????
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

I'd ride out and meet you... but the logistics at the moment are a little off...

Although I DO have a friend in Asheville who's invited me to ride out...
    Do I REALLY need to be here to prepare for this thing?
    lol
    Last edited by Wildkat; 02-21-2010, 08:33 PM. Reason: Brain works faster than my fingers
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

??? Why??

You can stop when you want, go when you want... If you break down for some reason along the way, you have people in every state that would probably come out and help you since.. you know, they don't really know what kind of guy you are yet.

Spend the 40 or 45 bucks for the AMA roadside assistance, and don't depend on anybody else. Another person riding just doubles the chance of something breaking.. lol.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Do you have a tentative schedule yet? or are you just getting into the planning stages D?
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

According to Google maps, there is a preferred route along I-81, then I-40, but if you were ok with adding another 2 hours to the trip, you could swing across on I-70 to St. Louis and we could then go down I-44 together. JAT.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Tod, It's nice to have someone to chat with during stops along the ride and share room costs, that type of thing... the roadside assistance makes sense though.

Kat, No schedule at this time but looking at options.

Bug, what's another couple hours right?
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
              Tod, It's nice to have someone to chat with during stops along the ride and share room costs, that type of thing... the roadside assistance makes sense though.

Bug, what's another couple hours right?
              Yep, especially on a 20+ hour trek. I agree on the companionship thing, but I also see where Tod is coming from. It sucks if you're the one stuck on the side of the road because of someone else's misfortune, but it's also nice to know there's someone else there to watch your back. Safety in numbers! I was looking at camping it to save $, but splitting a really cheap room might be cheaper.

I have roadside assistance through my insurance (Progressive), but I have not had to use it yet.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

After riding all day I'm looking for a hot shower and decent bed. St. Louis is a little north of the track I'm looking at. I want to hit the Wild Turkey distillery in Kentucky and sample a little...

1980 LG
                1981 LH

Comment

Mom ??

Pardon the ignorance. What does Mom stand for?
                  Thanks.
                  79 XS1100F.
                  SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
                  TC's fuse box.
                  SOFA filter.
                  Venture cam chain adjuster.
                  Tkat fork brace.
                  Progressive fork springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tropic-al View Post
                    Pardon the ignorance. What does Mom stand for?
                    Thanks.
                    It's an annual get-together in Hurst, TX, at the home of John and WildKat. Stands for "Meeting of the Minds".
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                      After riding all day I'm looking for a hot shower and decent bed. St. Louis is a little north of the track I'm looking at. I want to hit the Wild Turkey distillery in Kentucky and sample a little...
                      No problem. I hope to see you there either way. BTW, how does one distill a wild turkey?
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Hmmm... Seems the best route after that would be to go ahead and drop down south and go to Lynchburg to the Jack Daniels distillery while you were at it.. then hit I-40 for a bit.. then I-30 would bring you on in.

Now this is starting to sound like a trip I might think about making. Heck.. any breweries on the way we could hit also? lol.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

He he he... Possible we wouldn't even MAKE it to the MOM rally.. lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Bourbon_Trail

Tod

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                            Hmmm... Seems the best route after that would be to go ahead and drop down south and go to Lynchburg to the Jack Daniels distillery while you were at it.. then hit I-40 for a bit.. then I-30 would bring you on in.

Now this is starting to sound like a trip I might think about making. Heck.. any breweries on the way we could hit also? lol.

Tod
                            you may as well meet me there.

1980 LG
                            1981 LH

Comment

Having acquired a taste for the Buffalo Trace Bourbon... Sounds good to me too!
                              lol
                              81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                              80 LG Black Magic
                              78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                              For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                              X