No announcement yet.

Talimena Rally 2008!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just made my reservations at the Kiamichi.
    If things go well I expect to see y'all again.
    In case you don't remember who the hell this Tinman is.
    I rode the black and tan Valkyrie Interstate.
    Looking forward to swapping some tall tails and sharing the twisties with y'all.
    Tinman
    --------
    XSTin
    80SG

Comment

Okay friends...I've booked a room at the LAZY R; so keep wishing for good weather; the twins are coming. Steve may be riding an XS1100 midnight special, if we can get our act together. And of course, I'll be on my XJ1100 Maxim.

I hope to bring a few Honda and Harley riders from church and work, assuming they can work their schedules. Oklahoma here we come. Stan
      '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
      Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
      '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
      Stan Hutchison

Comment

Anyone have a head count? I know that I am really looking forward to this trip. Wish it was October already.
        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Wish it was October already.
          Well.. since you don't have a running bike at the moment.. or at least a rideable bike.. that would kind of suck for you then wouldn't it?

I had 13 bikes counted before Tinman and Stan chimed in. So.. 15+ if everyone shows?

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Gosh...

Originally posted by trbig
            I had 13 bikes counted before Tinman and Stan chimed in. So.. 15+ if everyone shows?
            I was going to make a comment... but have now thought better of it... but I'm thinking it...
            Last edited by Wildkat; 08-22-2008, 05:38 AM.
            81 SH Something Special
            81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
            81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
            80 LG Black Magic
            78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
            For those on FB

Comment

Yeah, I guess you are right Tod. I am pretty close to having 2 running bikes now. Waiting on a few more parts for the midnight special but the engine is running and sounds pretty good. I will get my TCI back for the XJ this afternoon. Replaced all of the transistors and a few other components and checked all solder joints under a microscope. Hopefully I will be riding this weekend. Still looking for a spare TCI for it though.
              Harry

'79 Standard
              '82 XJ1100
              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I'm Coming to

Well I changed my old mind and will come along with tinman from Houston. 16+ Kat and counting.
                Stan has money for my T shirts. Will be riding my XJ1100J Maxim with a new National cycle shield/with lowers.
                Dell82
                Last edited by DELL82; 08-26-2008, 01:18 PM.
                Dell82
                Houston, TX
                82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
                SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
                SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
                SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

Comment

Wife and I are definitly in. I am hoping to bring a friend along. Yamaha V Star hope thats ok. Don't know if you had counted us or not yet but that is one more possibly two. I havn't been able to get a room yet. May have to try and bring the tent. I may be stranded in the parking lot.
                  "Don't cry over the mistakes you have made. Just dread the ones you will make in the future."

78 xs1100 standard or special unknown. Since 2007
                  Eaglechaser

Comment

There is a Lazy R inn and the Kiamichi inn. Did you try them both?

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

There is a Lazy R inn and the Kiamichi inn. Did you try them both?

Ok I am booked for the Kiamichi for Friday 10th and Saturday the 11th. Hopefully I needed it for both nights? Looks like I won't be outside after all

Now if I could just get some good directions as I have never been there before

As well as some friendly faces to greet me with open arms I will be doing good. I can't wait to meet everyone.
                      "Don't cry over the mistakes you have made. Just dread the ones you will make in the future."

Eaglechaser

Comment

Cool, glad you were able to get a room. The more the merrier.
                        Harry

'79 Standard
                        '82 XJ1100
                        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Head out east on hwy 270/hwy 1 in Mcalester... not sure how the best way for you to get to Mcalester is. Go east, and just as you get out of Hartshorn, 270 splits off, but just keep going straight. Eventually HWY 1 stops and "T"'s at HWY 2. Turn right (South) HWY 1 and HWY 2 run together here. After 6 miles, you'll see signs for Talihina and you'll need to turn left (East) to stay on HWY 1. 13 more miles and you'll be in Talihina.

When you get to the main part of town with the brick buildings (Don't blink or you'll miss it), about one more block on the right will be the Kiamichi Inn. It's kind of easy to miss the first time, but there is an overhang over a carport at the entrance. If you make it down the grocery store, you've gone too far, but you'll have then seen where most of us fuel up!

Tod

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100

Comment

What time on Saturday will we head out for Mena, Ar? I have a buddy that may want to meet us there before we head out.

Eaglechaser

Comment

We will make a loop around the area first of @ 120 miles, and end up back in Talihina somewhere probably @ noon-1 pm. It just depends on how long we take at fuel stops. Everybody likes to stop and chat for a while when we stop.
                              After topping off in Talihina, we'll ride across the Talimena trail and stop at the Queen Wilhelmina lodge that has a tremendous lookout and a good buffet for $10. After lunch, we'll finish the ride into Mena and top off the tanks again (Gotta keep those Special people happy!)

We'll then ride back across the trail back towards Talihina again, and stop at one of the overlooks for a last photo op and a chat.

At that point, the official rally will be over. The Talimena Trail is an awesome road, and this lets everyone ride it at their own pace on the return trip. There's a BUNCH of overlooks, so you can stop and view any/all you want this way. Some like to rip up the road and drag pegs. Some like to wave the Harleys past. To each his own. The we all meet back at the hotel and tell lies and drink a few beers.. if you do that sort of thing.

Total miles for the rally is somewhere around 230 miles. We'll meet for breakfast in the morning, and all are encouraged to eat well since we'll be having a late-ish lunch probably around 2 pm. There is a small diner right on main street called Pam's Hatefull Hussy Diner. Good food and good coffee. We'll try to leave town @ 9 am.

If you're wanting to look at the route, we leave Talihina, OK and go north to Red Oak. West to Wilburton, then south to Clayton. From Clayton, we'll head east to Honobia (Pronounced Ho nubee), then north back to Talihina. Then Talihina to Mena and back to Talihina.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tod

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100

Comment

I was checking for a friend, and both hotels are fully booked for that weekend now. If you are needing to cancel reservations for some reason, could you please post on here first before you do so, so someone on here has a chance to get the room before someone else grabs it?

Thanks. Webbcraft snores bad and I'd hate to have someone have to sleep out in the parking lot with him.. Just kidding... He'll probably be a no-show like normal! (Maybe THAT will get him to show up??) lol.

Tod

Current bikes:
                                '06 Suzuki DR650
                                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                                '81 XS1100 Special
                                '81 YZ250
                                '80 XS850 Special
                                '80 XR100

Comment

Working...
                                X