Talimena Rally '07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talimena Rally '07

I think the time is drawing close enough to where we could start making plans for the next Talihina/ Talimena Drive Rally. I was tentatively thinking somewhere around the end of September.. possibly the 28, 29, and 30th. What's everyone's thoughts on this? Only three months away.. so I'd like to start trying to get something lined up and people's thoughts on this.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Looks good to me... but...

no... not you...

Those are the dates of the Suches, Ga VJMA thing that some of the members (Cody et al) are going to... I believe...

If you plan it all this far out... good chance John and I can make it... WooHoo!
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

Re: Looks good to me... but...

Originally posted by Wildkat
      no... not you...

Those are the dates of the Suches, Ga VJMA thing

Latin? Greek?
      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I don't know...

I'm simply repeating... it's all foreign to me too...

I really have to watch what I repeat... especially when I don't know what I'm talking about...

(Is it ever a good thing I can trust the people around here not to comment on things like that when I say them... ahem...)
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

Hey Tod,
          I was thinkin' (and that usually spells trouble) perhaps we could join forces this fall. I would love to come up your way and ride, so maybe the whole TeXSive crew can ride up in lieu of our usuall Texas Hill country ride.

Late Sept. and early Oct. are good for Nancy and I. Late October not good. Let me know when you have solid dates and we can post a TeXSive Rally call and make sure everyone knows the score.

Lemme know whatcha think.

Wayne
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Now THAT would be VERY cool!

Like I said earlier... the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle rally in Suches is the last weekend of September... Cody was going to this one (yeah... I know... Cody... on a road trip... there's something new ) maybe mid-October would be best? Hippie Dave was going to try and make it to the Talimena run... I'd hate to think of these two not being able to get together over a small thing like dates... I will withhold any little cutesy (facetious) remarks... but dang! it's tough...

If anyone needs a stopover point to or from... our house is always open to XSives... as long as we're home... funny that way...
            81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
            80 LG Black Magic
            78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
            For those on FB

Comment

I don't have any problems at all on combining things. No one is officially in charge of anything, I just thought that it should start getting discussed. I certainly can't be in charge or lead since I am so prone to spastic wrist twisting! lol.

Several questions come to mind:

1. How many miles are we wanting to look for a day?

2. How many days of riding

3. Do you want Talihina to be home base where we return after riding, or do it in a roadtrip type ride.

The reason I ask about #3 is that Hobbyman and I rode some great rodes over in the Arkansas area around Hot Springs. A direct route to Hot Springs is about 140 miles from Talihina. One option worth considering would be leaving Talihina in the morning after breakfast... make a day of it taking the round-a-bout route I will post here, and stay the night in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Then meet the next morning and ride back the direct route of 140 miles back across the Talimena trail to Talihina and split off from there.

The two problems I see with this is... I don't know if everyone could do 270 miles in a day... and there will be some coming from as far as Houston and Austin (I hope) and it may be tough on them to leave for home after already having 140 miles under their belt. I can get there earlier in the week like Wed or Thurs if need be and stay late to Mon or Tues if need be, but I know not everyone has as lax of vacation rules as I do.

Here's the link to the route I was talking about. The letters don't mean anything, I just had to enter those town names to get the map to draw the route I wanted.

Yahoo Map Route

Again, this ride is in it's infancy and everything is still in the air and open for debate. As far as the dates... I am very flexible. I only caution that the later in the year you get, the more chance for bad weather.. that's the only reason I was shooting for a Sept date. Completely up to everyone else.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

Talimena Ride

I too, (like Maximan) would like to attend this ride and am also going to the Suches, Georgia Vintage Japanese Rally. I have been to this event the last two years and loved it. Early October would work well for me for Talimena. . . . . Bohn
                Bohn
                78 XS750SE Bought New In 78
                80 XS1100SG "XS Combination"

Comment

Well... is the first weekend in October going to be too soon after the Suches rally? Do you need a week in between? That would be Friday the 5th- Sunday the 7th. The other option would be the following week that would put people on the roads on Friday the 13th! lol.

We would love to see you again Bohn. (Actually... we'd love to see that bike.. but you can tag along too!) lol. I hope Brent in Georgia can make it also.

I have no clue how to do it.. but I guess we should have a vote or poll to see which one is best for the most. There's always going to be someone who the timing is bad for... but I guess we'll have to play it by majority rules, as bad as we hate to.

And Wayne... you guys can come to this one AND have your own... I bet I'd show up to both! BUT... we'd love to have you guys make it to this side of the border too. I do think combining them would get more bikes involved though. Take over the Talimena trail and chase those poor HD's off the road.. Except for yours Brent! lol. As always... the more, the merrier!

So.... When, where, and how far are we gonna ride??

Tod

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

OK... I am so sorry!! I was just looking at that map to Hot Springs again, and for some reason it had the route to Mena Arkansas WAYYYYYY around the long way! It wasn't even going over the Talimena Trail! (Yahoo maps was definately not made for bikers!) So... the new updated version has the right path and it cut the miles down to 238!! That's probably do-able by most I think?! Here's the updated version...

New Map

Let me know what you all think?? Or do you just want to try to stay around the Talihina area? The last 110 or so miles from Paris to Hot Springs is an awesome ride...(I personally like Paris to Havana BETTER than the Talimena Trail!) but we'll do whatever you guys want.

Tod

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

well, this is just from my experiences. I found it easier to have a loop ride for Saturday. This way everyone who needs to head home Sunday morning can plan their trip home easier. If we get more than one days ride from some folks home, it may be a deterrent from them attending.

I know that I will probably plan to take Friday off to ride up, but will have to be back at work bright and early Monday.

You may want to have a loop ride planned for Saturday and then different ride for Sunday for anyone who wants to stay and ride. A good mileage amount for a one day loop is usually around 190 to 210 miles.

Just my $0.02 worth.
                      [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                      [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                      The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Hey guys, hope everyone is well.
                        I think Tod has an exellent idea. I was wondering how I was going to make it to both rides this year, a combined group would be awesome. Count me in. First or second week of Oct. is good for me.

Comment

Man!!! Three posts Dave!! Your becoming a regular Guru in no time!

I was hoping you would be able to make it.

Tod

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100

Comment

First weekend in October is best for us...

as far as kid care (October 5 - 7)... John's days off might be a hold up for us... but that would happen any weekend....
                            Man! that whole job thing really gets in the way sometimes...

Man!!! Three posts Dave!! You're becoming a regular Guru in no time!
                            No doubt!! He might learn a thing or two about these bikes if he keeps hanging around here like this... Just stick with us Dave... maybe we'll even show you how to polish a bike properly...

81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                            80 LG Black Magic
                            78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                            For those on FB

Comment

5-7th of Oct works for me. 12-14th is a bachelor party in Denver....

Doubt the bro-in-law (Mike) will tag along on his VFR, wifey is due for their next kiddo end of Sept.

I'll ride wherever you guys wanna go.....
                              Randy

"I didn't break it! IT FAILED!"

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
                              '09 Buell Ulysses
                              '01 HD softail std - crunched

Comment

Working...
                              X