TeXSive Spring Ride: Who's-a-comin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by webbcraft2150
    I thought I had fixed mine, reared its ugly head at 117, pucker mark in seat now. Little front brake application stopped wobble. I guess its time to "freshen" the suspension and head bearings. I dont think the fairing/bag package is doing much to help the problem. I don't expect a full bagger to run with the naked bikes but I knew there was more to be rung out of her. [/B]
    I had a wobble at 80mph on my 81 tourer. I updated the fork springs with Progressive Springs and added a fork brace and could not make it wobble if i tried.
    I highly recomend the progressive update.
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

• Heard back from Bob Jones

I just recieved an email from Bob Jones. He is home safe.

Here is some of his email...

Wayne,
      I had a great time riding and talking to you guys.

The bike I was riding still has some bugs. It will only go fast with the individual K&N air filter elements on it. I thought I Might be in rain with it and it will suck water into those things. I had a stock air box with the bottom center cut out on another unit, so my mechanic Bruce Roggy said why not try it on the SRR/2/2? I did and it took throttle okay it seemed. Once I got it down there at the Rally it started to stumble off idle and when I opened it up it cut out like out of gas at 115 mph when I went up front with those three other XS Eleven guy. Then I knew it was starving for the proper fuel mix. The intake ports are huge and without the right amount of air mixing with the fuel it was so rich it was fouling the plugs. I also had an oil leak at the valve cover. Thought I had it fixed, but it started putting oil all over the side cover again.

I though I'd better head back to Charlie Haas house while I could still get there under my own power. He rode 330 miles around the course trying to find us and never did. By dark he and I had to load three XS Elevens on my trailer I had towed down and put the SSR2 in the Van. We were soaked with sweat.

I got home Monday afternoon at 3.00 PM. Everything intact and okay.

Haas gave me two XS Eleven standards That he wasn't using anymore. One has 7900 miles on it and the other 16,000. I will probably restore both of them. I also got a lot of other salvage parts from another one.

I let him ride the SSR/2 on a road to his house Friday night and he said it was definitely as fast as his V-Max and that was with that air box. He wouldn't believe it with the other air cleaners. I had hoped it would perform for you guys, but things never work out when you want them to. Maybe another time.

I was really impressed with the superb condition of all of those XS Elevens. Most people that ride these bikes that actually work don't seem to have the money to maintain and customize them like the chopper and Harley crowd.

I saw two really nice XJ1100's (at the rally) and I told Bruce my Mechanic they would have gotten a kick out of his. He has a really neat one with GIVI 3 piece luggage and a Windjammer all in sky blue to match with all kinds of gadgets. Even a trailer hitch and equipped with a big bore kit Dynojet, Metzler tires and other goodies.

I'll bring him next time, but if we both leave we have to close the shop. This time of year is when we get busy and that's costly.

I'll develop those pictures shortly and put the one of the group up in the store. I know someone who can make a poster from it.

Well I gotta go and get some work done or the boss might can my ass. Tell all of those folks I had a blast they are a nice group and if they need any help on anything to let me know. I have a lot of XS Eleven stuff around here. Thanks

Bob Jones owner/author
      [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
      [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
      The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

• LOL... It's like a nasty rumor that just won't go away. I ride my bike every day. I have pod filters on. Even today going to work, it was absolutely POURING!!! A truck went by me and was splashing so much water on me, that I couldn't see the road right in front of my tire and it was knocking me backwards. I don't think you could have hit me with more water from a fire hose.
        I take it to the car wash and leave it running while I spray directly onto the filter elements to clean them. It has sputtered a couple times while just idling, but not died. On the highway, at speed, it has never even so much as coughed. I guess some people get an idea in their head and consider it a fact without even knowing the facts. Kinda like if I go outside with my hair wet... I'll catch a cold...

The water is atomized just like your fuel before it gets into your cylider. I'm sure a solid stream sprayed directly into an unfiltered carb would cause problems, but just like bigger particles that your filters catch, it won't let big "Particles" of water through either. Oh well.. people will believe what they want to.

Tod
        Last edited by trbig; 05-01-2007, 05:27 PM.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne

I had a wobble at 80mph on my 81 tourer. I updated the fork springs with Progressive Springs and added a fork brace and could not make it wobble if i tried.
          I highly recomend the progressive update.
          I upgraded my front end last year. Spent about $500 on Progressive springs, new inner tubes by Frank, a TKAT, and a steering stabilizer off a 2001 Hayabusa. It made a HUGE difference.

But the old bike still has a little flex. Heck I felt the frame flexing today in the Davis Mountains (west Texas) when tackling 30 mph curves at 60. They'll do it but it's bt un-nerving.

These old bikes are psuedo-stable at best no matter what you do to the suspension because the frame is a 30 year old design.

Comment

• I'm sure glad everyone got home safely. I threw this together yesterday; TeXSive Spring Rally, please correct and provide the missing names. Thanks

Steve, Dell and I had a great time. Till the next ride, Stan.
            '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
            Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
            '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
            Stan Hutchison

Comment

• Here are some pics that I took:

11 11's

15 11's

Bob Jones Custom 11

Maximan's Maxim

TeXSive Spring 2007 Rally Riders

Two Hippies
              Gone but never Forgotten:
              1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
              2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
              2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

• Pics of some of the TeXSive Spring 2007 Riders

Rally Master and SWMBO

Dragon Rider and SWMBO

Tinman

WildKat and John
                Last edited by skippy344; 05-05-2007, 09:30 AM.
                1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

• Pics of some of the TeXSive Spring 2007 Riders

1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

• Great photos. If it's okay, would you mine if I cut n'paste some of your pic's onto my website? I also started a TeXSive thread in the Ride forum.

I hope the additional (bad) weather didn't cause any more damage to your home.

Be good, ride safe.
                    Stan Hutchison

Comment

• OOPS

Hey Wayne, can you delete that 2nd post of just your pic?

Stan, I can zip these up in full size so you can manipulate them if you want. Where do you want me to send the zip file?

greg
                      1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

• More peeps

Phil Steppenwolf

Webbcraft2150 and SWMBO

Graywizard and SWMBO

TRBig and Hippie Dave
                        1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

• Greg, Try my home email account first, stan@hutchgroup.org
                          It's got a small buffer, so even a zip file of pic's maybe to big. My office account is stanford.l.hutchison@nasa.gov, it's hugh.
                          Stan Hutchison

Comment

• Great pics of great folks!
                            CUAgain,
                            Daniel Meyer
                            Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                            Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Working...