XS Rally - Selkirk Mountains - 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS Rally - Selkirk Mountains - 2006

Get out your calendars, folks! SWMBO and I wqould like to invite you to join us for a three-day meet here in Revelstoke, BC from August 8th to 10th, 2006.

Organized activities will focus on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday to allow participants from one to three days travel time getting to and from Revelstoke, yet still let them do it all using only one week of vacation time.

Tuesday and Thursday will offer shorter, easier rides, while Wednesday will offer a couple of longer rides. I'll also try to plan in some tech time on Tuesday and Thursday for anybody who would like to learn a bit more about some of the basics like carb syncing, colortuning, pick-up coil wire repair, camchain slack adjustment, etc.

Our tree-lined back yard is big enough to accommodate 10 or so small tents. If the weather craps out, we have a couple of spare bedrooms and lots of room in the basement. We may run out of beds and cots, but at least it will be warm and dry. Campers will also be welcome to share our house for toilet facilities, cooking, and laundry.

Those preferring a commercial campground can choose from a small private campground within walking distance, or a KOA and a Municipal campground within 5 miles.

There is also a good range of motels available within two blocks, and another half dozen or so within a five minute walk.

I'm working on a website right now to provide some more details. Shoot me your questions and I'll incorporate them into the site too.

Only six months to go!
    Ken Talbot

Revelstoke Rally Aug 8-10

Hey, Ken&Sheila how are you 2 doing? All well with me in Sooke. Put just
    over 15,000kms on my bike last summer. Ready to roll again after a bit of a
    major service over the winter. If we get some good weather this coming week
    and dry roads I am going to license again for the year. Last years plate
    just ran out on Dec.23rd.
    Your rally in August sounds interesting. Please pencil me in for a tent spot
    in the back yard. You can also put me on your rally info address list.
    I'm assuming an honorary XS11 member would be welcome of course?
    Looking forward to seeing you both and your latest effort at restoring an
    XS.
    Also looking forward to running the Mica Dam Rd. again. That is a winner on
    a bike.
    Take care, Ken Daniels (ratbyk)

Comment

Re: XS Rally - Selkirk Mountains - 2006

Ken Talbot wrote:
      Get out your calendars, folks! SWMBO and I wqould like to invite you to join us for a three-day meet here in Revelstoke, BC from August 8th to 10th, 2006.
      That sounds great, Ken! Since I moved west last year I've been looking forward to finally meeting you and the PNW guys.

I no longer have an XS, but a couple of nice old Yamahas are in the stable... an '85 XJ700 and an '86 FZX700 Fazer.

I look forward to meeting you and the PNW gang.

XSively,
      Last edited by Bill; 02-10-2006, 08:27 AM.
      Bill K.
      1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
      1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Hey, that would be great, Bill!
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Looking for 1 long trip this year; this could be it! Was watching a TV show on railroads, they went through Revelstoke (in winter) but still looked like great country. Will have to pass this by SWMBO. Aug. 10 is our wedding anniversary, will be 32 years this year, am thinking I would have to be home by then. Tent in the back yard sounds OK to me as long as there is access to a shower and bathroom.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Yes, backyard camping comes with access to bathrooms and showers.

If you like railroads, you'll like Revelstoke. We're on the CPR mainline, and this is a divisional point where they change out crews. The equipment they run in the mountain subdivision is the biggest, most powerful, heaviest tonnage going. You can even get up close and personal with a steam engine at our local railway museum
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Ride preview

Here's a preview of one of the rides I'm thinking of for day 1 - the day where we'll stick fairly close to base and spend some time in the national parks.

My house is at the red dot in the lower left corner. The ride to the summit of Mount Revelstoke is approximately 15 miles, with an elevation gain of about 5000 feet. Yes, those are switchbacks! This ride ends at a parking lot in an alpine meadow. In mid-August, it should look something like this:
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Re: Ride preview

Ken Talbot wrote:
                Here's a preview of one of the rides I'm thinking of for day 1...
                Looks like a great ride with a nice resting place at the end!

If Tina can get the time off we'll trailer the bikes up. After checking the distance I found that it's a long two day trip from here.

XSively,
                Bill K.
                1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
                1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Hi Guys, long time no see!
                  This sounds like a perfect get-a-way for Janice and myself.
                  It's been at least a couple of years since I rode through and took advantage of your hospitality and icecream with baslmic, I hope that the moths don't plague the area again... I was picking moth parts out of the bike and my gear for a week ;^)

It's always a pleasure to see you two and hope we can fanagle the time off!

Sincerely Glen & Janice
                  "The worst day riding is still better than the best day working!"
                  '81 LH "HoRee Cow"
                  '83 XJ "Horse Trade"

Comment

sounds great!

Comment

I sure hope that I can make it! I have to give a 15 minute session at the National Mine Safety and Health Academy that month and I am not sure of the date yet. I may be with my neighbor, a Harley rider named Wayne, whom some of you have already met in Montana at the Bozeman rally.
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                      03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

"Now THAT'S bogus!"

Firstly... I guess I don't scroll down this page enough to notice that you had posted something here quite awhile ago.
                        Secondly... new owners took over the shop and I'm hesitant to ask for time off the second week of August, which still is our busy season. Especially since I was gonna ask for the last two weeks off to ride to my Brother's house in Denver.
                        Thirdly... I spent so much time surfing trying to find out just where Revelstoke was in relation to me, that I had forgotten about my frozen pizza in the oven till the smoke detector went off, so now I'm without dinner!
                        Too early to say fer sure... but a ride North would be great.
                        Who knows... maybe I'll get fired, and have the whole summer to ride around!
                        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Hey Ken,

I have your rally on my calander and will do my best to make it. I may be starting a new Project Managment job in June and could have trouble getting time off. The good news is that since I am still in the process of negotiating the conditions of employemnt, I can insert that week as a "Must have off".

Count me in unless you hear otherwise. I will either camp in your yard or get a Motel.
                          DZ
                          Vyger, 'F'
                          "The Special", 'SF'
                          '08 FJR1300

Comment

We'd love to see you up this way, Denny! Not that you would necessarily want to eat there, but there is in fact a Denny's restaurant 'just around the corner' from our place. Not sure of this is strictly a Canadian chain or not, but I don't recall seeing them on your side of the line....
                            Ken Talbot

Comment

"Blind as a Canadian Bat"

, but I don't recall seeing them on your side of the line....
                              What! Are you kidding me? I've got three within 15 miles of me... (and have been kicked out of all of them)
                              Ken, you must be thinking of McDonalds. They're strictly Canadian, I think.
                              I haven't been to Canada since Expo '67 in Montreal, so I don't know, but I hear you can get Canadian Bacon on your Egg McMuffin up there.

Denny’s is the most recognized name in family dining providing good food and service for more than 50 years. With approximately 1,600 restaurants across America and systemwide sales of more than $2 billion, Denny’s is the largest full-service family restaurant chain in the United States.
                              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                              X