This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open discussion for Memorial Day weekend 2006

Just looking for some ideas. I have several routes and a place picked out to stay in southwestern WV. A couple of routes go into VA and KY. It's easy with mapping software.

Just looking for some ideas / thoughts / discussions. Anyone?
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

I'm in ,but you aready knew that. Here we go again.
    Ralph the Madbiker

Comment

Sure .... why not.... count me in...
      Tom
      2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
      gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Now wait a minute, I know you are in, so am I and I don't care who where or when.

I am looking for other opinions about where to have a rally, does someone else want to plan / host it, etc.

Just looking for alternatives. I guess you could call it tradition now, having a rally on the USA Memorial Day weekend for the past several years. And while I certainly don't mind planning it out (which means I pick the place) we are a group and can discuss options / alternatives.

You know for me twisty roads and miles of that is what I look for, but a rally is a get-together and that means more than one (me), so offer some comments.
        Marty in NW PA
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

I know you want to give some else a chance at planing it and to take us to a strange and differant land to test your skills on some twisty roads on . Just so you know I'm with ya where it is. I guess I have hang out in the back with Brent this time around . Since I don't have the Mistress any more. I do think we should hit Tenn. while were down that way if it can be done.
          Ralph

Comment

Must be too early or too soon. Sorry I got the itch, snowed here all day yesterday.

The number of months from now I expect to take my bikes out of hibernation

The number of months from now I expect to be on the way to the 2006 XS East rally.
            Marty in NW PA
            This IS my happy face.

Comment

Your not alone on that one Tracy counted the months up to and told me that were staring to early. We'll get all worked up thinking about it .Then when its over we wonder whats next. so you and I'll talk about it here or in emails, but maybe some other people will jump in with a better idea?
              Ralph

Comment

I posted this a couple of years back.. (I think) but I will post it again.

http://www.billybender.com/ridepage.htm

This might be to far south for people to ride. This guy posts three routes in the area.

Snow? That is not funny Marty!
                Tom
                2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Tom and anybody else who wants in on this .Call1-800-call WVA
                  and order these books West Virginia Wild & Wonderful and the Byways and Backways of W.Va.they're free and have some good maps in them. Marty & I have both of them .
                  Ralph the Madbiker
                  80 Midnight Sp Evil Mistress Gone but still in my heart
                  96 Royal Star the Royal Mistress
                  650 Savage - Tracys bike

Comment

Hi Guys, Never too early to start thinking about Spring rides. I really enjoyed the Unexpected rally toWest Virginia. As Tom points out the Princeton location is FAR south for us here in Canada. the problem for me is that while it is a Long week end in USA it is not in Canada so need to take off at least 2 days of Vacation. Despite all that very tempting.
                    Maxim Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Hi Phil! Hi Tom! Yeah, snow is not funny.
                      Rt 16 IS included in one of the routes I have laid out. And it IS awesome.

Phil said it is far south, so is there something up north? As I said, looking for discussions-options-ideas.
                      Marty in NW PA
                      This IS my happy face.

Comment

OK Marty, I have not looked at a map. Is there something else in the NE WV/ Virginia. How close is the top (north ) end of the Blueridge Parkway to you? Are there good roads?
                        As we know you can not please everyone at the same time.
                        Thanks for getting the juices flowing.
                        Maxim Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

MARTYS GOT MY VOTE

HI All
                          As far as rt 16 1n V.A. goes Gary and I just ran 33 miles of it WOW!!! 81&77 cross is 10 hrs from my place .

XSivly
                          Bruce
                          Bruce Gerken
                          '79 XS1100SF
                          "The Black"
                          '2009 BMW k1300GT'
                          The Red Sled.
                          St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

I have never been on the Blue Ridge, don't even know the route number. I do know parts were washed out and I have not heard if it was all repaired. the detour was something to behold, I heard.

Last year the UnRally at Elkins was somewhat at the 'top' of WV. WV is full of great roads, well, great like I like them, twisty and lots of them. The states bordering WV are also very nice. This location I have initially targeted is only 150 miles further south from Elkins. (I try to balance the good roads and distance from Canada as best as I can.)

This posting is for generating ideas for the 'traditional' Memorial Day rally. I just offered one idea.

Last year Ralph madbiker and I decided to get together since there were no other plans posted, and as we researched the roads, got sixtysix involved in helping analyze route maps, and got a local resident Greg xsivebiker involved with his great recommendations, we ended up with a full blown rally, with shirts and maps and everything. I think that rally worked out fine. I am now partial to WV and neighboring areas.

I also think that same group would and could do that again for 2006, or we could step back and let someone else plan something else somewhere else, or we could help someone else, or whatever.

The East / Northeast is big, with lots of places for lots of Xsive riders to go.

Certainly others have other ideas? Lets hear 'em.
                            Marty in NW PA
                            This IS my happy face.

Comment

I think your right Marty some else should step up and plan the next rally. There are a lot of nice roads in every state as I showed you down here they were no match W.Va. , but still nice to play on. I like W.Va. as much as you do and will be down there in a heart beat if someone says that where were going . There was also talk at one of the rallys about Vt. , N.H. and another place I can't remember so lets hear from them . Now the area your looking at is not that far from the Blue Ridge Parkway, but that has a speed limit on it and is patroled.
                              Ralph the Madbiker
                              96 Royal Star Royal Mistress
                              80 Midnight Sp. Evil Mistress stil in my heart
                              650 Savage Tracy's

Comment

Working...
                              X