Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody interested in an XS East rally July 4th weekend, 2005 in NY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody interested in an XS East rally July 4th weekend, 2005 in NY?

Bruce Gerken had an idea for a rally July 4th weekend, here is a copy of the post for those who missed it:

Hi to All.
    Well Gary's right .... we do have some nice riding down here ....Memorial Day weekend is a "zoo" here due to the annual canoe regatta, all the traffic not to mention all the hotels/motels are booked way in advance, however, the 4th of July weekend is pretty much open.
    We have a campground and motel across the river, and I have a large backyard for anyone that's interested.
    The other motorcycle club that I belong to has an Ice Cream Run on that Saturday, and would just love to have us join them.
    It's usually a 100 mile parade run, with 3 ice cream stops, at the end of the run, there's a barbecue, and bike games for those interested. Not to mention the scenery along the run.
    We take over Main St in Deposit, NY for most of the day (and the night!)
    This is always a good time !!! The run next year will be the 11th annual, and there's usually anywhere between 400 - 600 bikes. I just know they'd love the "XSive" .... did I forget to say that I'm road captain for this event ?????
    Then the next 2 days we could just go riding.
    Debbie & I have discussed it and we'd like to host a rally here that 4th of July weekend, unless someone else wishes to host the event ( we hosted 2003 in Little Grand Canyon, PA )
    We're looking for replies of those who'd be interested so we can contact the motel & campground to see about group rates.

So .... it's up to you "XSive's" to decide where you wanna go & what you wanna do !!
    ( Gary, did I hear you say you'd co-host????)

XSively,
    Bruce & Deb

'90 Suzuki Katana 1100F
    "Big Kat"

Ok my question is, the 4th of July is a Monday, so when would the run and rally be?
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

July 4th rally

Tina and i would love to attend this rally, iron out the details and we will book some vacation time . Sounds like a great idea Bruce, we could leaveSaturday and be back home Wensday. I still wanna go to Laconia for the first weekend. Anybody in New Hampshire wanna put me up for a couple nites .....................MITCH
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

I was goin say I was going first but Doug beat me too it.

But I have to agree with Doug..... get some details rolling and I will be there. Even thou it is a state I have been in... LOL

I think it is big enough that prob haven't seen it all!
      Tom
      2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
      gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

He He

Tom thats the only way i can get ahead of you , considering your driving a rocket FJR. Did you ever get it all fixed up hows it working now!....................MITCH
        Doug Mitchell
        82 XJ1100 sold
        2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
        2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
        1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
        47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

2005 rally idea

Hey Fellow XSives,
          What do ya think about holding the rally Friday July 1st (Canada Day) thru Monday July 4th (US Independance Day) this way we'd all get a 3 day weekend, just not the same 3 days, but we've looked @ the dates and they seem to be fair to all !!!
          Some of us could ride all 4 days !!!!

For those of you who are "collecting" states, we could do 3 states, possibly 4 ( NY, NJ, PA, & CT) during a day's ride. Yes, it'd be a "long" one, but hey, we're all XSive aren't we ????

Let us know what you think & we'll try to get planning routes.

We're open for suggestions, so feel free to make them !!!

XSively Yours,
          Bruce & Deb
          Bruce Gerken
          '79 XS1100SF
          "The Black"
          '2009 BMW k1300GT'
          The Red Sled.
          St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

Sally and I are in! Just name the place!
            Marty in NW PA
            Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
            Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
            This IS my happy face.

Comment

I'm there, too! Already have the days set aside. I've spent a lot of time in the Catskill area and the roads are some of the best. Some that immediately come to mind are Rt17, Rt55, Rt 52 and there's the mecca for all Hudson Valley riders -- the peak of Bear Mountain, where, on a clear day you can see the skyscrapers of Manhattan, only 117 mi from Deposit.

YAHOOO!

Randy

Comment

Here's my suggestion for a loop of about 300mi:

Rt10 N out of Deposit takes us along the Cannonsville Reservoir to Delhi, NY. -- 44mi

Out of Delhi, Rt 28E cuts right through the middle of Cattskill Park, lots of woods, then along the Ashokan Reservoir to Kingston, NY -- 69 mi.

9W S out of Kingston to Bear Mountain summit. Lunch at the Bear Mountain Inn, a fine restaurant - -60 mi.

That's 173 mi before lunch, so we'll need a gas stop in Kingston.

After lunch, the home stretch is along Rt 17 west all the way back to Deposit --173 mi , with a gas stop around Liberty, 60 mi out from Bear Mtn.

Total for the loop is 289 mi as the Mapquest crow flies.

I know we've got plenty of time to plan the rally, but this is one of my favorite areas to ride and I wanted to get my $.02 in early!

Randy

Comment

I could walk to this one....but i won't , I suggest Bruce take off the whole week before this so we can scout out the roads and do 1500 miles or so of prep work....

Bruce what would home base be? Deposit? Bainbridge? Somepalce else? Since it is a holiday weekend we would need to find a place and get reservations in early.
                  Gary Granger

Comment

I have yet to collect NJ and CT.......
                    Gary Granger

Comment

I would say I could make this rally. Still strugging with house issues but I'm not going to miss another XSEast. When I get straight and settled I will look into a CT rally. I know just the spot!

Regards, Russ
                      1980 XS1100G

Comment

Hey Gary,
                        We're looking to home base this out of Bainbridge,NY. At the current time we're considering the Susquehanna Motor Lodge and campground as the place for reservations. We stopped over there earlier today, but they were out of the office and wouldn't be back until 5 PM. As soon as we make contact with them we'll post again as to whether or not we need to look elsewhere for accomodations, however, we don't forsee a problem at this time.
                        As for taking the week off beforehand, I should have plenty of time to checkout the roads, unless you're looking for an excuse to get in extra riding time !!
                        We'll keep you posted as soon as we get more info.

XSively,
                        Bruce & Deb
                        Bruce Gerken
                        '79 XS1100SF
                        "The Black"
                        '2009 BMW k1300GT'
                        The Red Sled.
                        St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

Originally posted by gerkenbruce
                          Hey Gary,

As for taking the week off beforehand, I should have plenty of time to checkout the roads, unless you're looking for an excuse to get in extra riding time !!
                          We'll keep you posted as soon as we get more info.

XSively,
                          Bruce & Deb
                          Bruce,

Well.........DUH! Of course I am looking for XStra riding time! Hey ain't we going someplace this weekend , maybe it's next weekend.....how many days left?
                          Gary Granger

Comment

Definitely interested

Biggest part of biking for me are the "Rallies"!......Alpha is begging for another long haul, tools are waiting to be used; friendships are beckoning to be rekindled, the challenges of the road and weather, thats what its all about!

Yeah I'm definitely interested Guys.

Bruce Doucette
                            78XS1100 Alpha
                            79XS1100 Special (parked)
                            Bruce Doucette
                            Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

XSEast

Is it that time already?
                              Maggie and I are getting married on June 18, 2005. We are also planning on going to England for 3 weeks. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to attend. If things change' I'll be there.

I'm gonna' miss you guys.
                              Wayne Reddin
                              80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
                              Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

Working...
                              X