XS East 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dining

I just let the Twin Falls restaurant that there'll be 17 of us for dinner and breakfast. When I call back I'll up it to 19.

T-shirt order is in, they'll be printed on May 18.

Looks like its coming together.

What are anyone's plans for heading down I-81. I may head down to Lexington VA, Mark ,on Thu evening, or just one leg it on Fri. It would be great to ride with other XSives.
    Darrell
    78E
    80G project
    06FJR

Comment

• Originally posted by newc4 View Post
      I just let the Twin Falls restaurant that there'll be 17 of us for dinner and breakfast. When I call back I'll up it to 19.

T-shirt order is in, they'll be printed on May 18.

Looks like its coming together.

What are anyone's plans for heading down I-81. I may head down to Lexington VA, Mark ,on Thu evening, or just one leg it on Fri. It would be great to ride with other XSives.
      I checked the mileage to Natural Bridge and it's more than the mileage to Twin Falls. My plan is to one leg it on Friday if the weather looks good. Might leave on Thursday otherwise. I'll let you know.
      Mark

Comment

• Pre-rally comments

Just some pre-rally comments:
        Saturday:
        The route is just a little longer than usual, and it will be quite twisty, with some switchbacks and cliff-dweller curves. Ride your ride, don't overdo it! Fundamentally, we ride south through Welch, Tazewell, to Marion, then back again.
        After the gas stop in North Tazewell, we head south on a VERY twisty Rt. 16 and enter Jefferson National Forest. Basically this is up one line of mountains, down the other side, across a valley, then up another line of mountains and down the other side. This road is quite challenging. Be Careful!

We will likely get quite spread out as we cross the mountains south of Tazewell, so we will gather at the Office parking lot on the right at Hungry Mother State Park. This is just north of Marion. Then we will go together to Macado's for lunch in Marion. After lunch the return trip is the same route except northbound. Be careful! We will get spread out so we will gather at the same gas station in North Tazewell.

Sunday:
        The Sunday route (and parts of Sarutday's route) takes us on regular WV rural roads, twisty at times, sometimes well marked at times, sometimes not, sometimes gravel has washed across the road. We will have to pass through several small towns, and make a few direction changes at intersections. This will likely cause us to get separated a bit. I will make every attempt to wait at intersections as needed and able for back markers to catch up. Lunch is in Williamson, KY, just a mile or so over the border from WV.

Be sure your tires have sufficient tread, and air pressure.

I hope to get a group photo at the lodge, maybe Saturday night.

I don't have any sight-seeing spots planned. Burke's Garden is close, not close enough for a trip from our lodge without a lot of 4-lane roads so I didn't route us that way. Saturday's ride is long enough and will take all day. Sunday's will be more typical length, but it is in very rural WV and thus not much to see.

I will post a couple of JPG files. They are actually a brief itinerary for each day. You will be able to copy and then paste into a blank DOC, size it as needed, and then print it to bring with you.

See you soon!
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

• one more thing

Is anyone claustrophobic?
          Marty in NW PA
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

• brief itinerary for each day

Copy link location (or sometimes just copy the graphic) and then paste it into your word processor document. Print it for the rally.

Marty in NW PA
            This IS my happy face.

Comment

• I'm in with Big Earl again

Comment

• Alright now!!!!!!!
                "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                1981 LH

Comment

• DuWayne are talking bring my empty lol if you do that might bring a full 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by madbiker View Post
                    I'm in with Big Earl again
                    Hi Ralph,
                    Good to see you can make it. Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the suspects of course.

Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Have Fun - Ride Safe

If you haven't ridden it before, be extra cautious on 161. It is narrow and it is curvy. If the Coal Trucks are running, WATCH OUT. The entire top of the mountain on 161 has been taken off (like its really gone) for coal mining operations. The coal train takes the coal out of the mountain north, but big coal trucks haul coal southbound and deadhead back northbound. 161 goes right through part of the open pit mine operation. Coal trucks drive WOT and they drive in the middle of the road. BTDT and the "last thing" any of us want to see is heading directly into a Peterbilt or Western Star emblem. Plus there might be chunks of coal laying around. Coal dust is a pita to get off your bike and gear.

Being a long weekend hopefully all is quiet up there but don't get too casual or too rompus on 161.

Jeff
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Thanks Jeff!
                        I am hoping we have little or no coal trucking activity because of the holiday weekend. We are also riding Rt. 10 from Logan to Pineville, which if I recall has a few mines along the way.

When we had the rally in Pineville a few years ago we hit it right - rain had cleared out and had washed the roads of a lot of the coal dust, and there were only a couple of coal trucks.
                        Last edited by MartyA; 05-22-2017, 03:39 AM.
                        Marty in NW PA
                        This IS my happy face.

Comment

• Yep, those Coal Truck drivers sure are masters at apex and WOT on those mountain roads amazing skill

I made the big mistake of passing a coal truck in the mountains of Pennsylvania. Probably not the best pass based on the road markings if you know what i mean. As i recall it might have been on PA66 Kittanning to Clarion. (up in your neck of the woods) Made the pass but then a couple minutes later that coal truck was all over me like white on rice. I couldn't shake it. Truck driver knew the road and i didn't. Since i was the stupid one and made the pass in the first place i didn't want to now hold up the coal truck. For them Time is Money. Local knowledge always rules. I learned my lesson. Same with logging trucks. They are working and we are on vacation. A different pace.

Jeff
                          Last edited by JeffH; 05-22-2017, 07:26 AM.
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Google Maps satellite view shows all the missing mountain tops. Particularly the one at the end of 161 that Jeff spoke of and that we will be riding through.
                            80 SG
                            81 SH in parts
                            99 ST1100
                            91 ST1100

Comment

• Had FUN crashing the Toronto bike show in January making a cameo appearance.
                              Been thinking a cameo appearance on Friday afternoon would be interesting.
                              Stay for dinner then head out Saturday am after the group heads south to Hungry Mother and Marion.

Rita at the lodge got me set up for Friday night. So plan to see ya Friday afternoon.

Jeff
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                                Had FUN crashing the Toronto bike show in January making a cameo appearance.
                                Been thinking a cameo appearance on Friday afternoon would be interesting.
                                Stay for dinner then head out Saturday am after the group heads south to Hungry Mother and Marion.

Rita at the lodge got me set up for Friday night. So plan to see ya Friday afternoon.

Jeff
                                Hi Jeff H,
                                Great. will be good to see you even if only for Friday evening.
                                Disappointing not more people coming from the South.
                                Phil
                                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                                X