XSEast 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrived home safe

Many Officer Friendlys along the route. Otherwise arrived home at noon in 90 degree heat. Gary and Deanna will stay the night after their visit to the NRA.
    Darrell
    78E
    80G project
    06FJR

Comment

• Am I Irish or what?

DuWayne Potter and I split company in Williamsburg around 12noon, gassed up and got home around 1pm. The weather was great for XS Easterners once the Friday storms blew over. Great people, great routes, leaders, etc.!
      Thanks to Darrell for hosting this event this year.

Now, to address the subject line! I made the MikesXS.net BLACK Coil upgrade tip in 2007. Since then several others acquired them, but then reported their failures some time later....1 year or less after they installed them, one stated around 11k miles, which can be 1 years worth of riding for a daily rider. I don't ride mine that much, so I only put about 1500 to 2k miles a year on it, and so at 4 years later that's 8k or so miles.

Here's the luck part...I rode my bike the ~210 miles from home to the rally, then the ~400 miles of rally riding, then the ~210 miles back HOME, and as I pulled up to the exit ramp stoplight for the city road ~1 mile to my house, I was stopped at the light just idling...when the tone and feel of my idle suddently changed! I tried revving it, but it didn't rev very well, sounded/felt like it was running on 3 or less cylinders. I was able to nurse it on home, then while it was still running, I got out my inductive timing light, and when clipped on the 2-3 pair plug wires...the light was flickering quite quickly, but when I tested the 1-4 pair, the light was only intermittently flickering....it is a very sensitive pickup, and might even have been picking up a little from the GOOD pair, but there was definitely a difference in the signal, which correlates to most likely the 1-4 coil had stopped firing...burned out???

SO.....hence my "Luck o' the Irish" comment. Looks like I'll be editting that tech tip a bit and that I will be either getting the GREEN ones from MikesXS, or some DYNA's from another source!?!? And I was worried about the Mini-ALT Mod?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• I stopped in Williamsburg and had a nice lunch at Hooters with TRbig, his wife and son. After a few wings a little BS session and trying to hook his boy up with a Hooters girl for the night I pushed off for home. Two really bad traffic tie ups along the way; I made it home at about 6:30. Close to 5 hours to do 110 miles...
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
        1981 LH

Comment

• Hi All,

Had a great time at the rally, great rides and great fun meeting old friends and making new ones.

Thanks to our hosts for their planning and co-ordinating and to all those who helped lead the ride and helped pick up us stragglers.

Ric, Deb and I are looking forward to getting together with you and Jackie again soon, we will have to set up some rides.

Thanks everyone for their advice for helping me to keep the XS running and well heeled.

Now I just need to find the one who has my award so I can bring it to next years rally.....
          Trying not to offend since Aug 28, 2010

Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
          Owner of:
          1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
          140 mains
          45 pilot jets
          Floats at 24mm
          Running Rich

"Arrogant, delusional tyrants can't be stopped by earnest words and furrowed brows. Action, strong bold action coming from a position of strength and determination, is the only effective deterrent." -Mitt Romney

Comment

• Originally posted by rman View Post
            Hi All,

Had a great time at the rally, great rides and great fun meeting old friends and making new ones.

Thanks to our hosts for their planning and co-ordinating and to all those who helped lead the ride and helped pick up us stragglers.

Ric, Deb and I are looking forward to getting together with you and Jackie again soon, we will have to set up some rides.

Thanks everyone for their advice for helping me to keep the XS running and well heeled.

Now I just need to find the one who has my award so I can bring it to next years rally.....
            Great seeing you and Deb again this year...Scootsado2 ...Russ is the one who has the harely award ...he is in CT...
            1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
            2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

• fran and i made it home around 6pm. lots of fun really liked 56 we did again on the way home. see you at north bud

Comment

• got home at 7:05 pm. one hot ride.

a great rally. thanks to all that make this happen.
                80 xs1100G

Comment

• Sally and I rode north with mastan and robbins, they veered off on the way towards their destinations. We arrived in Kane 6:30 PM, shy of 1200 miles round trip.

Nice to see old friends again, sorry to miss some of them, and it is great to see some new folks, also! The XS-XJ's are getting old, it is tough to find new folks to carry on the tradition. But we need to keep the enthusiasm up, keep the tradition alive. Too much fun with many good friends.

Thanks Darrell for great rally!
                  Marty in NW PA
                  Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                  Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                  This IS my happy face.

Comment

• I arrived home at 8:15 tonight a 13 hour tour home but the time flew by fast. Thanks for the good time guys I 'm glad I made the trip. I look forward to next year.
                    BDF Special
                    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

• Got Home about a half hour before Bud an Fran had a great time

Comment

• Hey all: Got home at about 6:30. It was a hot day in the saddle, but enjoyed it anyway. Had a great time at the rally. Thanks to everyone involved for putting on such a great party. Can't wait till next year.
                        Mark

Comment

• home again

Arrived home from another great rally at 930 pm. I rode with Ted (Eldr) & Heather on an adventurous back road ride to the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Apparently hwy 646 is a forrest service road, with several miles unpaved, narrow, steep, and winding. The road does eventually connect to the Parkway. The ride went well. Heather held on tight, and Ted is pleased with the new custom embossing on his bikes passenger grab rails. Mabry mill is interesting & pretty as usual. Lunch at Orchard Gap, Raps Diner, was good. Waved bye to Ted & Heather at Fancy Gap as they continued South toward Ashville on the Blue Ridge pkwy. Ted mentioned plans to attend a Venture meet in Ohio on the way home. I expect they will be touring for a while before returning home.

Thanks again to all who helped organize & lead a great rally.

I am very fortunate to have such a great bunch of friends who would bail me out if i jot into trouble. Dean told me all about it while he was brushing his teeth. Too bad I could not understand a word he said. I sure was deeply touched by the undeserved generousity & surprise. ...and to think...I almost started to feel sorry for myself (now that was a bad idea). Such a lucky guy, I am greatful to have friends like y'all.

Hope to see you in the North this summer, or in the South this fall, or both.

Brent in GA
                          It is a great big beautiful world out there
                          Brent in GA
                          Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

• We made it home about 5:45PM.
                            Many thanks to Marty, Darrell and Chris for mapping out and leading 2 excellent rides. Virginia is beautiful country with some great roads and views. Thanks for sharing them with Jackie and I.
                            I cannot say enough about how great this group was.
                            It was a pleasure to meet some of the people whose posts taught me so much and enabled me to get my bike running.
                            Hope to make this the first of many rallies that we will be attending.

Rick & Jackie
                            XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
                            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
                            650SF
                            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
                            XS1100SG Project bike
                            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by rman View Post
                              Hi All,

Sounds good Ray cannot wait.
                              Rick
                              XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
                              http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
                              650SF
                              http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
                              XS1100SG Project bike
                              http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

• Sorry, I was a little sleepy last night, I did not mention a BIG thanks to Darrell's son Chris, a fine young gentleman, who did a lot of the ground work, and who had to drive all those terrible roads with his dad to get the final routes.

Chris was very patient helping me keep my U-turns to a minimum (I practice those, you know.)
                                Marty in NW PA
                                Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                                Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                                This IS my happy face.

Comment

Working...
                                X