No announcement yet.

XSEast 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 I hosted XSEast at Blackwater Falls WV. Only 6 showed, so I'm not sure it was official but with two motorcycle racers I learned to corner the XS on wet pavement.

I was just down around Goshen VA, near intersection of I-64/81, and thinking these are some fine roads.

I wouldn't mind going back to Wellsboro since I missed that one.

Darrell
    Darrell
    78E
    80G project
    06FJR

Comment

Originally posted by newc4 View Post
      2000 I hosted XSEast at Blackwater Falls WV. Only 6 showed, so I'm not sure it was official but with two motorcycle racers I learned to corner the XS on wet pavement.

I was just down around Goshen VA, near intersection of I-64/81, and thinking these are some fine roads.

I wouldn't mind going back to Wellsboro since I missed that one.

Darrell
      I'd think it would official if just 2 people showed...Wellsboro and the PA Grand Canyon area ....Never been there with the XS11 crowd but was there 3 times...with ST-Owners twice and once on my own. I would go back there in a heartbeat. The roads were awesome...but we've been to PA twice in the past 4 rallies. That area in VA does have some awesome roads...Rte 250 from I-81 going west ...check this road out...its got some real crazy twisties and hairpin turns...it runs into rte 220 which is also a fine road.
      Cherokee NC also is quite interesting and offers the most intense geography of anyplace we're discussing... I dont think I coulod organize this if it were in NC but I could/woukld help in scoping out the routes and stops needed for gas and such...
      Southern Ohio...Dont know much at all abt this area...will have to let others comment on that...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I could help out if central / north central PA was a choice, around Wellsboro, or anywhere close by there. But I don't recall a motel big enough for all of us. I know a lot of those roads and there are a few good ones. One sure advantage is not much traffic.

Check out southeast OH, between Athens and Marietta. Many of awesome twisty roads for all-day fun.

Natural Bridge area is good, on my maps I don't see a motel there, but just north or south are motels and almost anything in the immediate area of I-81 is good riding!

And of course WV has great roads also.

If you want to host a rally go ahead and step up, you'll get lots of help.
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA View Post
          I could help out if central / north central PA was a choice, around Wellsboro, or anywhere close by there. But I don't recall a motel big enough for all of us. I know a lot of those roads and there are a few good ones. One sure advantage is not much traffic.

Check out southeast OH, between Athens and Marietta. Many of awesome twisty roads for all-day fun.

Natural Bridge area is good, on my maps I don't see a motel there, but just north or south are motels and almost anything in the immediate area of I-81 is good riding!

And of course WV has great roads also.

If you want to host a rally go ahead and step up, you'll get lots of help.
          When I stayed in Wellsoboro in '08 we stayed at the Canyon Motel...which is within walking disrtance to downtown and the Penn-Wells hotel. The canyon motel rate is $76.50 per night and thats based on a double occupancy room...I had heard a rumor that they had closed so I called and they are indeed open for biz...they also have more upgraded rooms with hot tubs and they have a large indoor pool that would be open too. While you may know alot of roads I know local people who could alsoprovide us with plenty of routes... The girl at the motel said she could get us a group rate based on a AAA type discount...not sure what that was...aas this is all preliminary....
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hi BNE,
            We had 30 plus at Somerset and not everyone stayed at the motel Economy Inn. Fortunately plenty close by. My experience at Wellsboro last time was a split group due to distance between motels. Most meals were in seperate locations as no where was big enough for all to sit at once.
            You need 20 plus rooms for XSeast.
            Just my recolection/impression.
            VA and OH are front runners for me if someone needs encouragement to step up in those areas
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Virginia

http://www.willvillebikecamp.com
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                Blue Ridge Parkway.

'Nuff said

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                  Hi BNE,
                  We had 30 plus at Somerset and not everyone stayed at the motel Economy Inn. Fortunately plenty close by. My experience at Wellsboro last time was a split group due to distance between motels. Most meals were in seperate locations as no where was big enough for all to sit at once.
                  You need 20 plus rooms for XSeast.
                  Just my recolection/impression.
                  VA and OH are front runners for me if someone needs encouragement to step up in those areas
                  Phil
                  Phil...we had at least 30 people at Wellsboro. The Canyon motel accomodated most of them if not all except a few who wanted to camp...In addition The Penn-Wells Hotel has an Inn with accomdations as well and its right around the corner less than a 5 min walk. The Penn-Wells Hotel has a huge dining room and can easily accomdate 30 of us. They'll have a buffet style dinner as well. I still maintain that these locations could easily accomodate us...because I've BTDT!
                  Cant speak of the econolodge but my guess ias that the Canyon Motel is better suited for our needs...just my .02 cents worth...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    Well this sounds beautiful and its location is indeed worthy of an event for us...however it looks like their main accomadtions are camping and with our crowd I would think indoor accomdations would be preferred. While they say they have a camping cabin it doesnt sound like they have too many of them.
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA View Post
                      Brent did some scouting in this area and reported that there was something there, a motel I think.

I know a motel in Cherokee, NC that will take the lot of us....but this is pretty far south for the majority of people I think.

Southern OH looks fantastic on the map...no experience though.

Wellsboro....really? There has got to be other spots we haven't already been right?
                      Gary Granger
                      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Quote:

"A motorcycle can’t sing on the streets of a city." Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by mrsixtysix View Post
                        Brent did some scouting in this area and reported that there was something there, a motel I think.

I know a motel in Cherokee, NC that will take the lot of us....but this is pretty far south for the majority of people I think.

Southern OH looks fantastic on the map...no experience though.

Wellsboro....really? There has got to be other spots we haven't already been right?
                        OFC there are other spots...so many that its prolly not worth repeating a previously hosted location. There is an EconoLodge right in Cherokee NC if thats the place you're talking about. The terrain in NC is the most dramatic of anything being considered and yeah its a bit south. I'd like to hear more about southern ohio...actually one thing I did hear about Ohio...I did not like. It seems the state is now going to just take a police officer's word and judgement that a motorist is speeding...judgement is made by nothing more than a visual check...not radar or any other means to substantiate in court that you were or were not speeding...sounds rather F'ed up.
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Brent and I stayed at a place near there called the pink cadillac or something he has stayed there a few times.
                          Ralph
                          Last edited by madbiker; 06-08-2010, 03:03 PM.

Comment

This Natural Bridge area is not all that far from me. Although the village of NB only has the Natural Bridge hotel, it has quite a few rooms but is a lilltle on the expensive side. However it is only about 10 minutes from Lexington, and there are plenty of motels there, and lots of resturauants. It is also only about 30 min to Roanoke. For 2 days of riding you could go 60 south to appomatax battlefields, to the D'day memorial at Bedford to the Parkway either up 43 from Bedford or west on 460 to near Foanoke and then the parkway back to 60. You would be going by the Peaks of Otter and the Peaks resuarant. Another day would be 39 through the goshen pass to 220 and there either 220 to 250 t0 219 or 39 all the way thru Marlinton and the Skyway, whose scenery to me is better than the parkway and goes to Cranberry Glades another scenic area . then several routes back to the Natural Bridge ,and Lexington area.
                            POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
                            THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
                            1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

Some poor spelling and grammatical errors. I hit submit instead of preview.
                              POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
                              THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
                              1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

Since the MOTM rally in TX is up in the air, I might just head East next year! I'll keep an eye on this thread to find out where it'll be held, but if I can convince SWMBO to let me leave her for Memorial Day weekend, I just might make it there!
                                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                                -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                                X