Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The title of this thread was about riding to the memorial in'09 so if there is going to be an XS East event or non event in 2010 does that preclude any such event from happening this year?
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA View Post
      I'll start this to see if we can generate some discussion. This is an open discussion, here are the points to discuss - do we want to ogranize a weekend run - say a one day rally - to the Flight 93 memorial this year or do we want to make it the XS East rally next year?

So go ahead, offer comments.
      Ben. Look up.

Comment

DOH ...okay time to back away... this keyboard will self destruct in 5 secs...........
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

OK, this is in the spirit of general discussion. If you recall, the XSEast '09 ballots had a write-in for suggestions on XSEast '10. There were only 15 write-ins, but here are the results of those suggestions:

Canada - 5
          S.E. Ohio - 3
          W. Virginia - 2
          Somerset - 1
          Virginia Beach - 1
          Anywhere - 1
          Texas - 1
          Thousand Islands - 1

Some lively discussion was had and it was generally agreed that Canada would be way too cold in late May. That's the only discussion I can recall.

Comment

I think we need to vote on 3 options on this thread and then move onto a XSEast2010 thread. They are IMO:

1.) Include Somerset, PA as a XSEast2010 location (one of only two so far).

2.)Arrange a weekend ride to Somerset late summer 2009.

3.) Include Somerset, PA as a XSEast2010 location and do a late summer weekend ride.

I would hope when we poll these questions that people only vote for selections that they would actually attend.

As a side note, Ralph has indicated that he wants to have a 3 day Somerset rally and if not selected for XSEast2010 he would propose another date in 2010.

Comment

For me XSEast is about riding the twisties during the day and reveling about our ride during the night. With some wrenching on the side for errant mufflers, shorted brake lights, and perhaps an evening search for a side cover. Sightseeing is secondary to riding.
              Typically done on Memorial Day because of the three day weekend and the weather for most of the events has been relatively rain free and not real hot. As the first big ride of the season it has a big draw.
              If timing dictates that the Memorial be visited in 2009, make it its own event. Columbus Day is the fall 3 day weekend that usually has pretty good weather.
              If we can wait until Memorial Day 2010,it could be a day trip for XSEast. It’s a 120 miles from Davis WV which could be base for some pretty good north WV riding. That’s in the vicinity of Elkins where we met several years ago.
              I don’t know central PA well – there could be equally good riding there since its in the same mountain range.
              In either case its less than a 4 hour ride for me.

Darrell
              Darrell
              78E
              80G project
              06FJR

Comment

Columbus day on that side of the Mts. Sucks and I work that weekend any way most people outside of govt. has to work.
                Ralph

Comment

Back from the knee operation and too much medication. I hope I make sense now. I tried earlier today but couldn't read what I typed.

I guess I should have put a question mark on the title of my first post. Russ elaborated a little better than I did, so I will add some explanation to the thought process that started me on this post.

There was some discussion on the XS East 2009 postings about Somerset and 2010 XS East so I started a post for that here, particularly the Somerset part because Somerset has been discussed before AND I saw some news reporting about the soon to be renovations of the Memorial site land. I thought we should start discussing a trip there before it changes.

1. I think everyone should see the Memorial site as it is now.
                  2. The construction may likely start before Memorial day weekend 2010, which will change forever the way it looks now.
                  3. I remember Ralph saying he hoped to get our group to see the Memorial before it changes.

That is why I posted as I did. I think we should see it as it is now with a short weekend ride there this year, or do we wait till next year and risk seeing the site under Phase 1 construction with trucks hauling dirt out and fill in, bulldozers landscaping the terraces and lake, dust (or worse, mud) everywhere the trucks are going? Maybe it will be roped off with restricted access, who knows what shape it would be in. For sure they won't wait till we get there before they start digging and shaping the land.

Since I have been there and I will forever remember it I thought it better to get our group to go this year to the Memorial. I was also thinking a 4 day weekend would be less attractive to the XSives than a 3 day weekend. 3 days means we travel to the motel on Friday, ride all day Saturday including the Memorial of course, and some other sites, go home Sunday. Some weekend late August? September maybe? Suggestions here? What is good for everyone? And as Darrell mentioned maybe we get a motel somewhere other than Somerset. If anyone is interested post up we'll make a weekend of it.

And then we can do some twisty roads in SE OH for XS East 2010, or, as Russ suggested, start a new 'official' XS East 2010 post and lets discuss. I heard a couple of suggestions for SE OH and I agree but I don't want to stand in the way of anyone else wanting to host / plan / etc. their favorite area of the East. I will assist if needed, or sit back and wait till the motel reservations are announced while someone else does the planning.

So what do we think about that? Does my logic make more sense?

Darrell, you should be able to get a slogan out of that -
                  Twist some roads,
                  twist some caps,
                  twist some wrenches,
                  twist some facts.....
                  Always be XSive
                  Marty in NW PA
                  Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                  Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                  This IS my happy face.

Comment

Missing point I will be there memorial day weekend next year. A 3 day weekend is the only way some of this group will be able to make it there and I'm booked up most of the weekends this summer. When October hits on you side of the mountains what happens most of the time ? I've wanted to do this for 3 years as a 3 day weekend now I intend to see it though. I might and most likely will go out this year ,but I'm not going to change my mind.
                    Ralph

Comment

i am from new jersey

i own a xs 1100 any rally by me let me know
                      yamaha xs 1100
                      4 into 1
                      air cooled
                      emco filters
                      clubman bars
                      one bad mofo riding it

Comment

Hey Marty whatever you are doing at somerset my dad and I will be there.

Thanks for organizing this.

Aaron

Comment

Has anyone but me even been thinking about this? Ive been there once this year already.
                          Ralph

Comment

Originally posted by xsiveson View Post
                            Hey Marty whatever you are doing at somerset my dad and I will be there.

Thanks for organizing this.

Aaron
                            Thanks for reminding me. I have been very busy since I posted last and will be mostly blowing off this week also. Back at ya on the weekend, see if we can't do something later in the month. Looks like I'll be back to work for a while in Sept.
                            Marty in NW PA
                            Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                            Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                            This IS my happy face.

Comment

When I was there a few weeks ago I was told that they want to have phase one done of the project for next year. So the temp memorial should still be there in the spring. Plus they still do not have all the land deals done. Still want to do this in the spring.
                              Ralph

Comment

Hey Marty and Ralph My Dad and I Will Do Both. See You All Soon.

Aaron

Comment

Working...
                                X