This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scootstado2 View Post
    Seems appropriate to go to the "Memorial" on Memorial Day weekend.
    I wonder how crowded that would be. Maybe not, early in the season. Might be under construction buy then. I don't have the exact schedule, just what I have been hearing on the news.

If we do this in the late summer we probably should get reservations soon. If next spring we can hold off for a while on the reservations.

I have maps nearly ready for Somerset, I have maps nearly ready for SE OH. Organizing it won't be a big deal, just the motel reservations should be considered.

Keep the discussion going for a few more days give some others time to chime in. Let's see what interest we generate for where and when.
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Comment

i read that park service needs to start construction this november to cut the ribbon on 9-11-2011
      80 xs1100G

Comment

Last thing I saw they still don't have all the land or the funding in line yet.

Comment

Mill Run (Falling Water) is only 30 mi from Somerset and Johnstown is 60 mi from Mill Run, so I don't see why this couldn't be a one-day ride. We could even add a couple more sights and still it would be a one-day ride, although I don't know the sights in the area. Ralph?

Comment

national Park Service website with latest information and a PowerPoint presentation of the proposed design. Phase I is scheduled for completion Sept 11, 2011. There is no start date, but right now this is happening:

in order to complete Phase I of the memorial by the September 11, 2011,
            The National Park Service will take the following actions;
            • Contact all landowners and schedule negotiations beginning on Monday, June 8,
            • Have National Park Service representatives available in Somerset County,
            Pennsylvania, from June 9 through 11, 2009.
            • Report to my (Sec of Interior) office the status of negotiations by Friday, June 12, 2009.
            excerpt from the NPS website

all the more reason for folks to see it as it is now. As I mentioned everyone should see this, and while the proposed design of the new monument is grand the current improvised memorial is very moving. I thought we could do it as a group, and take a short weekend to do it. Hey the Canadians are having an "XS North" one day rally, we can too, yes?
            Marty in NW PA
            Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
            Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
            This IS my happy face.

Comment

Ok I am getting some conflicting opinions on when this should be held...Ralph says make it an XS East event...Marty Says we should just make it a weekend date this summer...Randy wants to ride 600+ miles and see everything in one day...I feel that this summer is the last good chance we'll have to see it in its "original" condition...if we wait for XSEast it might be too late...I also want at least one overnite possibly two in the area. Finally if it is this summer before the 09-11 anniversary...like in August
              Last edited by madmax-im; 06-10-2009, 08:00 AM.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I'm a fan of just announcing the event then see who jumps on board. Those that want to and can find the time will show and those that want to do something else can organize another meet, that way I think there's more variety and more opportunity for getting together. By the time we get through discussing the what's, where's and hows, a month will have flown by

Comment

Hit it during the Thunder in the VAlley event in Johnstown
                  http://www.visitjohnstownpa.com/thunderinthevalley
                  "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                  1981 LH

Comment

Yes they do, but I've wanted to do this as XSeast for 2-3 yrs not as a 1 day rally. But next year I think it should be done as a memorial run or as unrally. Its been done before. .Ralph

Comment

I was hoping this would be done as an XS East Rally as well but I also understand that the clock is ticking on the original monument too!

Paul
                      Paul
                      1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                      1979 XS1100 Standard
                      1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Look you may do what you want and you can do what ever , But next May I think I'm headed to Somerset. Pa. I'm not going to a 1 day rally there. I'm Done
                        Waiting. Are there enough people interested in it or not.
                        Ralph

Comment

I think we've got two different threads here, Maybe an XSEast '10 thread needs to be started?

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                            I think we've got two different threads here, Maybe an XSEast '10 thread needs to be started?
                            I think the purpose of this thread (according to the first post) is to decide if we want to do the memorial visit as part of XSEast2010 or as a day ride this summer. As I understand it Ralph is stepping up to host this as XSEast.

It seems as though there is another option for XSEast so how that figures into all of this needs to be discussed as well.

I think we need to let the discussion run another day or so (as Marty said) and then post a poll and vote. If we vote this run for XSEast then I think we need another XSEast2010 thread to vote on all the other options (if any). Make sense?

Comment

Russ if that's what it takes then I'll host it either as XSAEast As a unrally but either way this is where I'll be next year.
                              Ralph

Comment

Ben and others Now you know what I intend to do and where I'll be if you want help with prerally stuff I can use the help. As for a motel Tracy and I stay at a Knights Inn last year for around $45.00 a night that was nice and clean. Need a little more research on food and roads ,but that will come soon.
                                Ralph

Comment

Working...
                                X