This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride to the Memorial 2009

I'll start this to see if we can generate some discussion. This is an open discussion, here are the points to discuss - do we want to ogranize a weekend run - say a one day rally - to the Flight 93 memorial this year or do we want to make it the XS East rally next year?

My initial thoughts - if you have not been there you should go there. It is very emotional, very moving, and right now very informal, and personal. I've been there twice and there were no dry eyes there.

As for making it a central point for the XS East rally, think the Somerset area is too crowded, but there are a few nice roads in the area for day-long group ride. We could show up Friday, group ride Saturday, go home Sunday, maybe late August. The town there is a bit hot that time of year but there are some hills and rural areas to compensate, and some traffic. Not too many radical roads though.

So go ahead, offer comments.
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Note that SE OH has been discussed for the 2010 rally. Discussed, not decided, yet.
    Marty in NW PA
    This IS my happy face.

Comment

I vote for the one-day rally, as I won't be attending XSEast next year, I'll be making the trip to MOTM instead. Unless, of course XSEast IS in SE Ohio, in which case there's a possibility that I will be able to do both. So there's my logic for the one-day Late August is perfect as far as time. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the area so I can't add to suggestions as to roads, etc.

Comment

Considering the distance to Somerset for most of us this would need to be a multiple day event. The question as to wether we should make it the XSEast rally or do it sooner...I'd be inclined to say do it this year...it seems as an organized ride this one has been waiting to happen so if we wait til XSEast '10 that might be cutting it close.
        I know nothing about the town and area around Somerset...but I did find there are plenty of motels there.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA View Post
          Note that SE OH has been discussed for the 2010 rally. Discussed, not decided, yet.
          What exactly is the timeline for changing the present memorial?
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
            What exactly is the timeline for changing the present memorial?
            The cement permanent memorial is planned for completion in time for the 10th anniversary. Construction will likely take more than a year. Since I was there last year all the donated memorabilia has been moved from its initial place to across the semi-dirt road. There has been some gov't intervention and threats of eminent domain in trying to lay claim to the land but the PA gov't folks are trying to settle amicably. The land owner doesn't want people tracking all over his land. I would guess the informality of it will last till late this year, very early next year, when they start construction.
            Marty in NW PA
            This IS my happy face.

Comment

Well from the sound of things if we were to wait for XSeast it would be too late to see the memorial as it is now...August would work for me I would want at least one overnite possibily 2.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Considering the distance to Somerset for most of us this would need to be a multiple day event.
                Ben, it's only 300 miles from ME, it's gotta be a lot closer for you.

Comment

If you read my 1st post I suggested arriving on Friday, group ride Saturday, go home Sunday.

Yes lots of motels in the area. But crowded.
                  Marty in NW PA
                  This IS my happy face.

Comment

needs to be a 2-3 day rally, there is also other stuff to see the mine rescue site. Falling Water a Frank Wright house Johnstown why short change the area Your not giving this any real thought. I go every year for a one day run. So If that"s what you want I can do that by myself any time and will.
                    Ralph

Comment

Well Randy I might be 60 -70 miles closer than you...but I'd still want to stay overnite and take advantage of the area and what other sights there are to be seen as Ralph said...So if we go underr the premise of what Marty suggests...then we would have a rally by definition. So the critical question becomes when and where and by whom? If this "rally" were to be in Aug...would that be adequate amount of time to plan and organize?
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

next years XSeast 10

Comment

Well if you all feel that XSEast timeframe will work then I'm a go for it too. Just where would be a good place to base out of...if Somerset itself is too congested?
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Somerset is no worse them Brattleboro and we managed it I lived there for 4 month when I build a store there and go every year to see the site.

Comment

Originally posted by madbiker View Post
                              next years XSeast 10

Seems appropriate to go to the "Memorial" on Memorial Day weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X