Brake caliper part

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • oldyam80sg
    XS-XJ Guru
    • Apr 2007
    • 2096
    • Hackettstown , New Jersey

    #1

    Brake caliper part

    On my 1980 SG the brake caliper has a metal clip that is in the center. Is that necessary and what does it do? The reason I ask is the pads sit above that. Is that normal? Shouldn't the pads sit kind of flat? I examined the caliper today and no crud at all. The other caliper has a bent bolt that is kind of hard to remove.
    Last edited by oldyam80sg; Yesterday, 04:20 PM.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed
  • Bonz
    XS-XJ Super Guru
    • Apr 2008
    • 3361
    • Palmer Lake, Colorado

    #2
    The clip sits in the center of the caliper, with the pads resting in it or on it? Like it's a spring-loaded clip that would put tension on the end of the pads?
    Howard

    2001 ZRX 1200
    1982 Seca 750
    1983 Nighthawk 550

    Comment

    • oldyam80sg
      XS-XJ Guru
      • Apr 2007
      • 2096
      • Hackettstown , New Jersey

      #3
      Ok the one caliper is definitely not dragging but have to work on the other caliper as I think I have a bent bolt if that's possible.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      xschop K & N air filter setup
      Dynojet Recalibration kit
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

      Comment

      • Bonz
        XS-XJ Super Guru
        • Apr 2008
        • 3361
        • Palmer Lake, Colorado

        #4
        Interesting...
        Howard

        2001 ZRX 1200
        1982 Seca 750
        1983 Nighthawk 550

        Comment

        • bikerphil
          Master of XSology
          • Jan 2008
          • 8933
          • South Flori-DUH

          #5
          It's an easy to find bolt replacement at a hardware store, get the hardened 10.9 version, it won't bend as easily. This is somewhat of a common problem on the Special's 'Weird Harold' calipers.
          The spring clip when properly installed should keep the pads from rattling.

          Bolt size should be M8X1.25X90
          Last edited by bikerphil; Yesterday, 07:47 PM.
          2H7 (79) owned since '89
          3H3 owned since '06

          07 Triumph Tiger 1050 (night rider)

          "If it ain't broke, modify it"

          ☮

          Comment

          • Bonz
            XS-XJ Super Guru
            • Apr 2008
            • 3361
            • Palmer Lake, Colorado

            #6
            Agree it puts pads under tension and keeps them from rattling around. The way it was described I wanted to confirm. But there's only one spring clip.
            Howard

            2001 ZRX 1200
            1982 Seca 750
            1983 Nighthawk 550

            Comment

            • DEEBS11
              XS-XJ Guru
              • Feb 2023
              • 2069
              • Connecticut

              #7
              I can't run that caliper pad screw with my 15 inch rear wheel because there is no access (not even through the cut-outs of the Centerline rim). Over 10,000 miles with no issues. But I would use the screw if I could.



              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5741.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	891769

              Comment

              • oldyam80sg
                XS-XJ Guru
                • Apr 2007
                • 2096
                • Hackettstown , New Jersey

                #8
                I think I have the bolt in my Yamaha parts box along with other new items I bought years ago. Bike Bandit was my go to parts place. Now E -bay is good to find parts. I'm going to put some Kroil on the bolt and let it sit. Also I was using a 3/8 ratchet with a flex head and will get my other ratchet at my Moms house. Its raining all day in N.J. so not much will be done today on the bike.
                Last edited by oldyam80sg; Today, 07:30 AM.
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                xschop K & N air filter setup
                Dynojet Recalibration kit
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

                Comment

                • Bonz
                  XS-XJ Super Guru
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 3361
                  • Palmer Lake, Colorado

                  #9
                  Are you able to see the bolt is physically bent? Could it have been cross-threaded?
                  Howard

                  2001 ZRX 1200
                  1982 Seca 750
                  1983 Nighthawk 550

                  Comment

                  Working...