On my 1980 SG the brake caliper has a metal clip that is in the center. Is that necessary and what does it do? The reason I ask is the pads sit above that. Is that normal? Shouldn't the pads sit kind of flat? I examined the caliper today and no crud at all. The other caliper has a bent bolt that is kind of hard to remove.
Brake caliper part
Collapse
X
-
Brake caliper part
Last edited by oldyam80sg; Today, 04:20 PM.1980 XS1100 SG
Inline fuel filters
New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
160 mph speedometer mod
Kerker Exhaust
xschop K & N air filter setup
Dynojet Recalibration kit
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installedTags: None -
Ok the one caliper is definitely not dragging but have to work on the other caliper as I think I have a bent bolt if that's possible.1980 XS1100 SG
Inline fuel filters
New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
160 mph speedometer mod
Kerker Exhaust
xschop K & N air filter setup
Dynojet Recalibration kit
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installedComment
-
It's an easy to find bolt replacement at a hardware store, get the hardened 10.9 version, it won't bend as easily. This is somewhat of a common problem on the Special's 'Weird Harold' calipers.
The spring clip when properly installed should keep the pads from rattling.
Bolt size should be M8X1.25X90Last edited by bikerphil; Today, 07:47 PM.2H7 (79) owned since '89
3H3 owned since '06
07 Triumph Tiger 1050 (night rider)
"If it ain't broke, modify it"
☮Comment
Comment