Another Charging problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

Easy way to check that would be to run VOM leads from one of the black wire terminals on the R/R to it's casing, there should be continuity if the casing is also grounded
    Yup. Iffin it's a "shared" ground. ヾ(^-^)ノ

But if it's a seperate ground running somewheres at the bottom end of a diode "bridge" or regulator Q1/Q2 circuit? (´-ι_-`)

Might...just might find the case has some measurable voltage on it when engine is running and the case is "floating" cuz it isn't grounded.
    (´_ゝ`)

That's the kinda problems we get when we don't know wut's actually inside the black boxes. Gotta rely on the repair manual's measure here fOar this and lookey there fOar that. ┐(´д`)┌

Comment

Originally posted by Steverk View Post
      Deebs11, zero volts at the black wire. Also the red wire feeds directly from battery positive through a fuse which is good. I get 12+ volts there. The main switch circuit in your diagram is not how my bike is wired. The green and black wire are a closed loop at the field coil.
      And do you measure about 1 volt between the black and green wire of the closed loop (field coil) with the ignition switch on?

Comment

Originally posted by Steverk View Post
        Deebs11, zero volts at the black wire. Also the red wire feeds directly from battery positive through a fuse which is good. I get 12+ volts there. The main switch circuit in your diagram is not how my bike is wired. The green and black wire are a closed loop at the field coil.
        Did you measure this in this exact spot of the harness? It's very important. With the black lead of the meter on the neutral of the battery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-5-44dc9f4928.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	880908

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post

Did you measure this in this exact spot of the harness? It's very important. With the black lead of the meter on the neutral of the battery.

That's what I was getting at in post #16.
          -Mike
          _________
          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post

yes sir, I did. Zero volts. also zero volts across green and black with ignition on.

I am beginning to wonder if my new R/R from Ricks is bad.

Also for others, I also did ground the R/R body on the outside chance there may something to that theory-- not difference.

Steve K
            1980 xs11 special
            1979 xs400
            1989 Sportster
            2016 KLR
            2016 Africa Twin
            1965 Chevelle
            1970 Wife

Comment

With having a schematic for the R/R, I am curious where the power source is that energizes the green wire for the field coil. If it come from the red wire on the R/R, then it would suggest that there is an internal problem with the R/R. If it comes from elsewhere, I can't for the life of me understand where it would come from other than one of the white wires, which I cannot see how that would be possible based on the schematics in the manual.
              Steve K
              1980 xs11 special
              1979 xs400
              1989 Sportster
              2016 KLR
              2016 Africa Twin
              1965 Chevelle
              1970 Wife

Comment

In the schematics posted by Deebs, it seems apparent the wire harness supplies 12V to the black field coil wire from the IGN switch (not from the voltage regulator).

It also appears the voltage regulator modulates it's output by controlling the current flow to the field coil by varying the voltage on the green wire.

That's what I see.

Therefore, the problem seems to be the bike's wire harness is not supplying 12V to the field coil black wire?
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

You found the problem when you found zero volts between the black wire of the field coil and the neutral ground of the battery. There has to be 12 volts there to start. You have no power to the coil when you turn on the key. That is your only problem (so far). Your regulator is not the issue.

Name:	PROBLEM IS HERE.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	880928

Comment

Deebs, I totally understand your diagram and what you are saying, however this is what I have. My Clymers manual shows switched power to the R/R via a tan wire, and believe me I wish it were there! I am 99.999% sure my harness was original when I started working on it. This is also how it was wired when the charging system was working when I fired it up last year.

Name:	xs11 regulator wiring..jpg
Views:	53
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	880930 Click image for larger version

Name:	xs11 regulator wiring..jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	880931
                    Steve K
                    1980 xs11 special
                    1979 xs400
                    1989 Sportster
                    2016 KLR
                    2016 Africa Twin
                    1965 Chevelle
                    1970 Wife

Comment

No offence, but the circuit as drawn could never work. This is how it should be wired. You are either missing the 12V connection or the circuit is drawn incorrectly.

Name:	The fix.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	880933

Comment

From Clymer and also color transferred to schematic.

Name:	Clymer charge.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	880936 Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit colors.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	880935

Comment

GASP!!
                          I just thought of something. One thing I did do between last year and this year was rewrap the wire loom after going through the entire wiring harness. Is is possible that a tan wire from the main switch got broken or disconnected from a splice or connection somewhere in the field coil harness? I can't see any apparent connection where that was the case as the harness from the field coil plugs directly into the regulator. The diode goes the the relay and another to the tach (not shown).

If this is a case of a missing wire, where does it make its connection?
                          Steve K
                          1980 xs11 special
                          1979 xs400
                          1989 Sportster
                          2016 KLR
                          2016 Africa Twin
                          1965 Chevelle
                          1970 Wife

Comment

For clarification, I see where the switched wire connects in the schematic, but where on the bike is that connection physically made?

And Deebs you're right my schematic doesn't make sense or work, so no offense taken.
                            Steve K
                            1980 xs11 special
                            1979 xs400
                            1989 Sportster
                            2016 KLR
                            2016 Africa Twin
                            1965 Chevelle
                            1970 Wife

Comment

Steve, I think you are getting closer to figuring this out.

Comment

where on the bike is that connection physically made?

Per my experience the wires frum the ignition switch connector plug and mostly everything else? ヘ( ̄ー ̄)ノ

Ends up in a spaghetti tangle inside the headlight bucket. (_Oo)

Comment

Working...
                                X