No announcement yet.

Another Charging problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be helpful to know the voltage between the black wire and ground.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Update, I purchased a new regulator from Rick’s electronics. Plugged it in, no change. I did try grounding the green wire from the field coil to ground-no change. One thing I have noticed from each regulator I have tried is that I am get no voltage reading between the green and black field coil, whereas the manual states I should have less than 1.8 v with the key on and 9-11volts with the bike running. I get nothing.
      Field coil tests at 3.4ohms
      Stator tests at .4ohms on each leg.

I have done continuity tests also to test for shorts and opens- all is good.
      Steve K
      1980 xs11 special
      1979 xs400
      1989 Sportster
      2016 KLR
      2016 Africa Twin
      1965 Chevelle
      1970 Wife

Comment

OK, not sure if this was said before but check ALL ground wires and connections. Clean ALL connectors, clean ALL ground points and use de-oxit or no-ox at the connection of wire to frame or engine. About two house to do the bike and you them KNOW you have good grounds with close to zero ohms between the neg terminal on the battery and the engine.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Also, I had read this is non-stock wiring. I think there is an error in the wires. You need that 1.8V to energize the field coil. Check that part of your harness.

Comment

It looks like you have no positive 12v going to the field coil. The regulator takes care of the grounding of that device. Do NOT short any wires to ground. You can easily blow that brand new regulator.

Click image for larger version

Name:	test 2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	880850

Comment

Check this wire to the field coil. It should have 12V+ when the key is turned on.

Name:	Circuit coil positive.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	880868

Comment

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I am certain all my grounds are solid. I have all tested each wire passing through every relevant connector related to the charging system- all good. The bike has been modified but the wiring harness has not been modified.
                Deebs11, I have been careful not to short out probes when testing. I am a little confused about the highlighted trace on the last diagram you posted. It shows power available to the field coil from the main switch. My Clymer manual also shows this (via a tan wire) but this is not how it is wired. Below is my new rectifier ( identical wiring as the old one), and as you can see it is a 7 wire arrangement not the nine wire your diagram shows. In my earlier post I mentioned that last year the bike ran fine and was charging.
                I have just assumed that there was a design change with the charging system that negated the additional wires. In my set up, I get 12volts of power via the red wire with and without the key on. So I have also assumed that the regulator is design to energize the green wire internally through the regulator circuit in a dynamic delivery based on rpm’s.

Name:	IMG_0116.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	880875
                Steve K
                1980 xs11 special
                1979 xs400
                1989 Sportster
                2016 KLR
                2016 Africa Twin
                1965 Chevelle
                1970 Wife

Comment

The missing black wire is nothing to worry about. It was a ground that is now done internally. We need to establish that your field coil is getting 12v+. You need to measure this spot in this exact way when the key is on. Attach your meter black negative lead to the battery ground and use the red positive lead to test this exact spot in the harness.

Name:	Circuit measure here.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	880877 Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-5-44dc9f4928.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	880878

Comment

Originally posted by Steverk View Post

Name:	IMG_0116.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	880875
                    Ummm....(╯•﹏•╰)

Iffin imma seein wut I thimk I'm seein in this photo? (*゚ー゚)ゞ

The regulator/rectifier is unsecured to the bike. Technical term is "Das-Floppin". (´~`ヾ)

As the OEM has 2 (two) ground wires out of the 9 (nine) provided, and yur aftermarket gots 7 (seven)? (´_`)

It seems like the assy you gots needs to be mounted securely to the frame fOaR both a mechanical AND an electrical connection. (  ゚ ,_ゝ゚)

No connection, no electron flow, so no wurky. (o´_`o)

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post

Ummm....(╯•﹏•╰)

Iffin imma seein wut I thimk I'm seein in this photo? (*゚ー゚)ゞ

The regulator/rectifier is unsecured to the bike. Technical term is "Das-Floppin". (´~`ヾ)

As the OEM has 2 (two) ground wires out of the 9 (nine) provided, and yur aftermarket gots 7 (seven)? (´_`)

It seems like the assy you gots needs to be mounted securely to the frame fOaR both a mechanical AND an electrical connection. (  ゚ ,_ゝ゚)

No connection, no electron flow, so no wurky. (o´_`o)
                      Larry, the ground is there. It's now internal. Here is a diagram. Before (old style) and after (new style).

Name:	Circuit 2 grounds.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	880884 Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit 1 ground.jpg
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	880885

Comment

Imma still seein' a MATH problem, Deebs11. (◔ヘ◔)

Original/old style still gots 9 wires and the new style shows 8 wires per yur delightful diagram(s). (⊙_☉)

But the real wurld rectifier/regulator (per the photo...) still only shows 7 wires. (● . ◉)

And only one black on the real wurld photo. Where's in yur new style there's......one....two......Yep. Two black wires. ( ⚆ _ ⚆ )

I can get out muh crayons....again, iffin that'd help. ヽ(•‿•)ノ
                        Last edited by Larrym; 07-22-2024, 03:12 PM.

Comment

7 wires. The other wire is "free" not used.

Name:	image_6156.jpg
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	880890

Name:	Circuit 7 wires.jpg
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	880889

Comment

Deebs11, zero volts at the black wire. Also the red wire feeds directly from battery positive through a fuse which is good. I get 12+ volts there. The main switch circuit in your diagram is not how my bike is wired. The green and black wire are a closed loop at the field coil.
                            Steve K
                            1980 xs11 special
                            1979 xs400
                            1989 Sportster
                            2016 KLR
                            2016 Africa Twin
                            1965 Chevelle
                            1970 Wife

Comment

Deebs11, yur the diagram King. \(^_^)/

My mistake? Lookey here-

Name:	image_6160.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	880902

Though... I still wunder if the unit gots to be mounted fOaR electrical porposes. (゚ ペ)

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post

Though... I still wunder if the unit gots to be mounted fOaR electrical porposes. (゚ ペ)
                                Easy way to check that would be to run VOM leads from one of the black wire terminals on the R/R to it's casing, there should be continuity if the casing is also grounded
                                1980 XS1100G

I identify as a man but according to the label on a package of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four!

Comment

Working...
                                X