Beginning an XS1100SF restoration - first of many questions I'm sure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This green wire is part of the wire that feeds power to the starter
    Yes, when the starter motor is being cranked, it triggers the TCI to temporarily send full 12V to the coils, bypassing the ballast resistor. This makes for easier starting of the engine. When the starter button is released, the coils see the lower 8V or so. This wire changes color inside the wiring harness and is a red/yel wire at the TCI.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Ah ha! Ok I do see the red/yellow wire. I'll hook the green one up to that. I think that's the last of the wiring harness questions. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Connected up a battery and turned the key, horn works, neutral and oil lights on, blinkers don't work (relay is bad), starter relay seems to be bad so she won't turn over, but touching the battery to the other side of the relay does run the starter. Brake lights and whatnot work, and most importantly no smoke out of anything and no hot wires, so I think I'm in good shape with the harness. I had to make several little adapter harnesses to adapt the 80 harness to the 79 bits and bobs. Both starter buttons I have are bad, so I'm going to wire in my own. The kill switch does work which is nice. Once all this electrical stuff is out of the way it'll be time for carb rebuilds

Comment

Working...
        X