Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
    Found one in a pile of old hardware.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295911000890

Click image for larger version

Name:	kicker clamp.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	878597
    I have purchased several of these type Ebay listings just for one piece or the other over the years.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

pretty sure there is a RLU here and probably those nuts. PM me your address and I'll mail them to you
      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
      1981 LH

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys The bike is coming along nicely. I got an XS650 tail light adapted to the 1980 harness with the parts from Yambits. Got the rear blinkers from eBay and installed those, and the grab bar. CAD'd up and 3d printed the rubber dampers that go on the headlight housing/fork ears to get the front sorted out. I'll have pictures of that later and will post the STL files for the stuff I've drawn up for printing in another thread once I verify it all works. I also designed and printed a replacement battery tray, going to work on a battery hold down next.

Comment

Nice clean workshop.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
            Nice clean workshop.
            His workshop is the reason I am single.
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

His workshop is the reason I am single.

Name:	DSCN2625.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	878662

Comment

I got lucky and found a wife that's as into bikes as me XD Took 37 years though...

Comment

get your own parts fiche and manuals as they are invaluable, They are here on the site. https://xs11.club/forum/maintenance/...ch-in-jpg-form
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Also:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25621056828...Bk9SR8Tv8InTYw

Name:	s-l960 (7).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	878754

Comment

I've very nearly got this wiring harness all sorted out. There's a few wires that even with the wiring diagrams I can't figure out.

First, is there supposed to be something screwed down to the terminals on the "Main fuse block" here?

Second, what gets plugged into this red wire? Note this is a 1980 XS1100 wiring harness. It's close to regulator/rectifier and the reserve lighting device.

Third, what's this dark green wire that's connected to the same wire as the starter supposed to connect to?

Comment

#1. That is the "accessory fuse" and there is nothing connected to it from the factory. That is 10Amps for a radio, etc.
                        #2. Not sure what that is, as all my bikes are older. It does NOT look like a factory connector, though.
                        #3. That is for the "older bikes" that have the ballast resistor. It will give full voltage to the coils when starting the bike. Not used in the later models with the larger Ohm coils.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks a ton!

My bike is a '79, would it have a ballast resistor?

Comment

Originally posted by OldGreyBeast View Post
                            Thanks a ton!

My bike is a '79, would it have a ballast resistor?
                            Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 OEM Parts Diagram for IGNITION COIL - BATTERY - HORN - WIRE HARNESS | Partzilla.com Look at item 50. That is the ballast resistor. I think that green wire by the solenoid goes to the rear turn signal. There should be a brown one just like it on the other side. Do you have oem original coils on the bike or replacement? Are the coils 1.5 or 3 ohms? If 3 then they have been replaced and you won't need the ballast resistor and the two wires that would go to it simply need to be plugged in to each other to bypass it. I am not sure about that red wire.
                            81 LH
                            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                            Jim

Comment

Ok so mine does have the ballast resistor and it's connected up where it's supposed to be. The turn signals are connected up. This green wire is part of the wire that feeds power to the starter. It's weird. Maybe it's just for an accessory or something? It's got a female bullet connector.

The odd red wire also has a female bullet connector.

Comment

Finally figured out what the red wire is, it's supposed to be pinned into the connector that the reg/rect connects to. I'm not sure why someone disconnected it. I reckon I'll cut the reg/rect connector off my old harness and solder it in in place of the cut one.

Comment

Working...
                                X