Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning an XS1100SF restoration - first of many questions I'm sure

Hi XS11 club,

I've got a 1979 XS1100SF that I'm beginning a restoration on. The wiring harness was an absolute nightmare, it looks to me like the bike has been stolen in a past life. According to the guy I got it from, he got it from a guy that started it as a project in the early 00s and never finished it. He never got it to run, neither did the last guy. I got a new wiring harness and have removed the old one, been going over the bike while the harness is out and just looking for anything else that may be missing. One thing I noticed were these 2 spots that look like something should be there but they're empty. The first is on the triple tree yoke right under the upper triple tree. The second is under the fuel tank. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing from these locations?

Picture 1

Picture 2

And yeah, I'm working on it in my living room lol.

First photo is the mount point for a fairing. It was used on the Pacifico fairing, but that was a one year only as the factory burned down in late '78 or early'79.
    Keep in mind the '79 SF is a ONE YEAR bike! I know, I ride one and some things do NOT fit without modifications. Engine parts interchange, but body parts, seat, side covers, grab bar, are one year only.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I looked at my 79sf in the area that you are showing in picture number 1, and mine also has nothing mounted there.
      In picture number 2 you are missing an electrical part that I'm pretty sure is called the reserve lighting unit.
      Get a second opinion though to be sure before buying one.
      Here's a picture of mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	79sfpaintprep12.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	878403
      Attached Files
      Bob's Bikes:
      79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
      https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
      https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
      "
      Project XS11"
      "Rucksack Grunt"
      "Small Unit Leadership"
      "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
      For Sale Here.

Comment

Seems like I always end up with weird 1 year only stuff!

Thanks for the tip on the reserve lighting unit. Looking at some schematics it does look like I'm missing that part. I'll have to see if I can source one on eBay.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...318137228223c0 The part for reference

Comment

Originally posted by OldGreyBeast View Post
          Seems like I always end up with weird 1 year only stuff!

Thanks for the tip on the reserve lighting unit. Looking at some schematics it does look like I'm missing that part. I'll have to see if I can source one on eBay.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...318137228223c0 The part for reference
          You shouldn't have a problem finding one on Ebay. Most get rid of it when they switch to a led headlight. There is a maintenance tip concerning that if you decide to go that route. It involves bypassing the RLU so your warning lights won't emit on your dash. Of course you have a one year only 79 so I may be wrong about the dash. Someone with one may chime in if I misquoted. In picture 1 it looks like you are missing the upper covers or what I call the fork ears that mounts your headlight assembly and the front turn signals. Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 OEM Parts Diagram for FRONT FORK | Partzilla.com Items 33 and 34.
          Last edited by cajun31; 03-17-2024, 08:01 PM.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

RLU's on Ebay .... Yamaha xs1100 reserve lighting unit for sale | eBay
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            Jim

Comment

Do you have these somewhere 1978 Yamaha XS1100 Y531-3) left and right front fork ears headlight mounts set | eBay
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              Jim

Comment

Looking at the last picture of the bike in your living room made me think of your headlight. Do you have one? If not you are missing the headlight bucket.
                81 LH
                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                Jim

Comment

I have the headlight ears, bucket, and headlamp assembly all on the way. Have a front fender, throttle twist grip, seat, rear blinkers, and some other parts on shelves waiting to be installed. The bike seems to be mechanically complete but definitely suffered in the electrical department.

Had to pay a pretty penny for it but I found a grab handle on eBay last night for the '79 and bought that.

Comment

Hello OldGreyBeast, those rails are very rare so the price is usually high. You should have that bike running soon. Another XS11 saved!

Comment

Glad to hear you are getting things sorted out.
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      Jim

Comment

Here's what I've got on my list so far... pretty standard motorcycle revival list.

Comment

Hmm and I'm discovering that the 1980 XS1100 wiring harness is very close but not an exact match to the '79...

Unfortunately all the connectors were cut off the original harness and the wires were just joined together by the old "twist and tape" method. Everything seems to match up except for the left and right switches.

I can tell this is going to be a bit more of an undertaking than the CB550s I'm used to working on...

Comment

OldGrey. Take a look at this. I think it will be helpful to you.

Colored Wiring Diagrams - XS11.club Forums
                            Bob's Bikes:
                            79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                            https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                            https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                            "
                            Project XS11"
                            "Rucksack Grunt"
                            "Small Unit Leadership"
                            "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                            For Sale Here.

Comment

This is a cable route diagram which should also be helpful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire route.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	878451

Comment

Working...
                              X