No announcement yet.

1981 XS1100 Midnight Special Slow restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, ordered the tool so now to wait for that to get here, so I can measure the shims and then order the correct size ones. At least I’m assuming that’s the best way to do it? Thankfully most of the valves are within spec, guess it’s just the intake on cylinder 1 and exhaust on cylinder 4 that need new shims.

Comment

The size of the shim should be printed on the bottom of the shim, if for some reason it isn't there, use a micrometer. Each shim size increment is .002" BTW.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

It should be mentioned that most valve adjustment tools for the XS11 come from Motion Pro. Cheap stuff. The material is not quality tool steel like it should be and the areas that I marked in red are built up for added strength which, unfortunately, renders them useless. They simply won't fit. If you search the forum you will find some people will grind the tool down so that it will fit. It is best to buy a quality tool or use the zip tie method. When it comes in, try it and see if it works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tool.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	878452

Click image for larger version  Name:	toolc.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.9 KB ID:	878442 Click image for larger version  Name:	toolb.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.5 KB ID:	878443 Click image for larger version  Name:	toola.jpg Views:	0 Size:	201.7 KB ID:	878444
        Last edited by DEEBS11; 03-19-2024, 02:23 AM.

Comment

A better quality tool.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18199851391...Bk9SR5K6zrjKYw

Name:	s-l960 (6).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	878446

Comment

If you don't already have a manual you can download one from Ringler.us | My Bike. You really should use the table in the manual when doing the valve adjustments.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

Forgive me for only skimming this thread and if the subject has already been discussed.

The most common problem with the XS11 ignition, that I have seen, is the braided copper wires that connect the pulser coils to the wire harness. A braided copper core and rubbery coating was used to accommodate ease of vacuum advance. The vacuum advance flexes them and they break internally. Testing with an ohm meter will not always show the problem. It is easy to check. Grab each wire and 'GENTEELLY' pull the length, each side, between the coil and the wire holder. If the wire stretches, then it is broken internally. The braided copper does not like to be soldered. The best fix is to crimp/splice with the middle part of a factory style split pin connector. Ace hardware style crimp splices will not work. Fortunately, all but the fuse connectors are now available aftermarket. Unfortunately, the original wire will, eventually break again, near the splice. One of my final projects is an 80 LG restoration with 24K miles. One of the wires is broken.

IF you are talented and understand the forces of physics, you can depress the valve shim bucket with a flat blade screwdriver and use the other hand to remove the shim with a stick magnet, once the oil suction is broken. If you do not forget to retension the cam chan, you can also loosen the cam caps. If you choose to loosen the cam caps, for goodness sake use a torque wrench when tightening! And, for all sakes, loosen them evenly. There is a guide 'ridge' that can be broken on most cams if you loosen them wrong. Regardless of how you change an above bucket shim, make sure it will rotate within the bucket after you change it. If it will spin, you can be confident that your clearance measurement is correct. check two or three times as oil under the new shim can affect the measurement.

Comment

Originally posted by Brit44_Aldo View Post
                Forgive me for only skimming this thread and if the subject has already been discussed.

The most common problem with the XS11 ignition, that I have seen, is the braided copper wires that connect the pulser coils to the wire harness. A braided copper core and rubbery coating was used to accommodate ease of vacuum advance. The vacuum advance flexes them and they break internally. Testing with an ohm meter will not always show the problem. It is easy to check. Grab each wire and 'GENTEELLY' pull the length, each side, between the coil and the wire holder. If the wire stretches, then it is broken internally. The braided copper does not like to be soldered. The best fix is to crimp/splice with the middle part of a factory style split pin connector. Ace hardware style crimp splices will not work. Fortunately, all but the fuse connectors are now available aftermarket. Unfortunately, the original wire will, eventually break again, near the splice. One of my final projects is an 80 LG restoration with 24K miles. One of the wires is broken.

IF you are talented and understand the forces of physics, you can depress the valve shim bucket with a flat blade screwdriver and use the other hand to remove the shim with a stick magnet, once the oil suction is broken. If you do not forget to retension the cam chan, you can also loosen the cam caps. If you choose to loosen the cam caps, for goodness sake use a torque wrench when tightening! And, for all sakes, loosen them evenly. There is a guide 'ridge' that can be broken on most cams if you loosen them wrong. Regardless of how you change an above bucket shim, make sure it will rotate within the bucket after you change it. If it will spin, you can be confident that your clearance measurement is correct. check two or three times as oil under the new shim can affect the measurement.
                Aldo, while I agree with most of what you said, using a screwdriver to push (and HOLD) a shim bucket down while you take out and measure a shim is perhaps the hackiest thing I have heard in a long time. Thank you. It was quite entertaining. Welcome aboard.

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	878547

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post

Aldo, while I agree with most of what you said, using a screwdriver to push (and HOLD) a shim bucket down while you take out and measure a shim is perhaps the hackiest thing I have heard in a long time. Thank you. It was quite entertaining. Welcome aboard.

Yeah, I'll stick to using a zip tie!
                  1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

The zip tie trick works.

Comment

After waiting for shims and valve cover gaskets, I got the valve shims adjusted properly on Friday, now just getting the carb fully tuned and synced. Just pulled it again because I didn’t have the floats set right, got that done so throwing it back on there today and hopefully with a bit of tuning I’ll get it running perfectly.

BTW: if any of you live near Austin TX, I’m planning on bringing the bike to Radwood on 4/27. Thanks to everyone on the forum for the help, the bike has come a long way in the 4 months I’ve had it. Oh, I did also already get all the brake calipers rebuilt, and the lines bled. The last fluid I have to swap now is the gear fluid.

Comment

Love to hear when another MNS is saved.
                        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                        81 LH
                        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                        Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X