xs1100 flasher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs1100 flasher

hello everyone, can you buy a new flasher to take the place of the standard one, mine quit flashing the other day. thanks

Hi Roger, here is some info on turn signal operation/modifications.

https://xs11.club/forum/idle-talk-fo...rect-operation

Comment

They are relatively easy to fix. I did mine years ago... there is an article out there somewhere on this forum...
      Jeff Korn
      Original Owner 79XS1100 E
      Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Comment

I used a generic two prong automotive flasher from the local auto parts store. Quick, cheap, easy fix.... But I lost the turn signals' auto cancel feature.
        Bob's Bikes:
        79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
        https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
        https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
        "
        Project XS11"
        "Rucksack Grunt"
        "Small Unit Leadership"
        "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
        For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post
          I used a generic two prong automotive flasher from the local auto parts store. Quick, cheap, easy fix.... But I lost the turn signals' auto cancel feature.
          yes i put a two prong flasher out of my 1964 impala and it works good, but like you said you loose the auto canceling feature.

Comment

you stated it just doesn't work and quit flashing. The first thing you need to do is to check all the grounds on the bike and electrical connections. If you have build up or corrosion on them then thoroughly clean them. I use deoxit dn5 - Google Search. Be sure to clean every connection. Might be the only thing that your bike needs and things will start working properly again.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
              you stated it just doesn't work and quit flashing. The first thing you need to do is to check all the grounds on the bike and electrical connections. If you have build up or corrosion on them then thoroughly clean them. I use deoxit dn5 - Google Search. Be sure to clean every connection. Might be the only thing that your bike needs and things will start working properly again.
              sorry the lights come on they just don't blink. I put a two prong flasher out of my car and it works ok.

Comment

Originally posted by roger View Post

sorry the lights come on they just don't blink. I put a two prong flasher out of my car and it works ok.
                which is an indication that you need to clean all your connections. Doesn't seem to make sense but believe me if you clean all your connections like I stated your oem flasher may start working again. I've had two bikes with the same symptoms and cleaning resolved both of them.
                81 LH
                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                Jim

Comment

Check all your wiring against the wiring diagram. When I got my non running XS, the lights were coming on when the brake pedal was applied. I found missing ground wires, wrong wiring etc... you have to trace it all.

Comment

What they said. Clean all your connections including the bulbs & sockets. Anytime I have light problems it's always the ground. But that's just me. Have a nice day.
                    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Originally posted by red bandit View Post
                      What they said. Clean all your connections including the bulbs & sockets. Anytime I have light problems it's always the ground. But that's just me. Have a nice day.
                      cleaned connections and all the grounds i could find, there were several in the rear tail light but turns still don't blink. I wish i could buy a good flasher just to see if this one is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by roger View Post

cleaned connections and all the grounds i could find, there were several in the rear tail light but turns still don't blink. I wish i could buy a good flasher just to see if this one is bad.
                        do a search on Ebay. Rolling the dice I know but there are some available. There are some new ones available as well. That's the nice thing about having 3 xs1100's I can always go back and forth on them to test things.
                        81 LH
                        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                        Jim

Comment

looks like you have a 1979 xs100. looking up the part number on partzilla shows Superseded by 2NV-83350-00-00 - FLASHER RELAY ASSY

2F0-83350-70-00

you can search for either number. I found both on ebay.
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          Jim

Comment

I've fixed them before by carefully taking it apart and sanding a new surface on the "breaker points". They get pitted and don't make good contact anymore.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I am assuming your bike is running when it fails to flash. The reason I ask is because a low battery will cause it not to flash. If the battery is ok you can rev the engine and if possible check the voltage. If it is normal it will show just slightly over 14 volts and if the flasher is still not working then I would say it is the culprit.
                              Last edited by cajun31; 12-03-2023, 03:04 AM.
                              81 LH
                              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X