Auto Turn Signal Conditions for Correct Operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Turn Signal Conditions for Correct Operation

I have been having intermittent turn signal issues during riding. For the most part the signals work ok manually. They don't seem to shut off automatically any more. Sometimes they won't activate at all when it gets hot out (The enemy of electronics-heat). What conditions have to be met in order for the signals to turn themselves off? I know there is a speed sensor in the speedometer that tells the module if the bike is moving or not. Do you turn on the signal before you stop or after you stop? How do you service the speed sensor in the speedometer?

The speedo has a glass reed switch inside it. A magnet pulses the reed switch as the speedometer moves. The pulses are sensed by the Turn Signal Cancellation Module.

The turn signal is supposed to turn off when the number of pulses corresponds to 490 feet or 10 seconds; whichever comes first..

-Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

If the signals are not working well in "manual mode" you need to start looking at your electrical not electronic system. Start by cleaning ALL ground wires and bolts/screws. I use "no-ox" or anti-seize on the connections to keep them working well. Don't forget about the ground wire from the rear turn signals! They bolt on to the inside of the mount and connect to the frame ground.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

My signals are working correctly, they will stay on at a stop. After the blinker shuts off, I can turn it on again. Also can change direction anytime.

The first thing I would try to get the blinker to work at all is spray electronic stuff straight into the lever.

80 G

Comment

All good tips. I had cleaned all connectors with Deoxit and cleaned all ground points on the bike when I built it but maybe I will have another look. All rear grounds on the signal lights are fresh and correct. One possible place of question is the old flasher from 1978 that sat in the swamp for years when I picked the bike up several years ago. Although I'm not sure I'm seeing it in this picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00u0u_cTgy8xfeUGR_1200x900.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	874444

Comment

The bike today.

Name:	DSCN0780.JPG
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	874446

Comment

Has anyone ever had a turn signal module fail? Or the reed switch in the speedometer?

Comment

Originally posted by speedlimit85 View Post
                My signals are working correctly, they will stay on at a stop. After the blinker shuts off, I can turn it on again. Also can change direction anytime.

The first thing I would try to get the blinker to work at all is spray electronic stuff straight into the lever.
                Speedlimit85 the switches are all new. Both sides.

Name:	DSCN0102.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	874451 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0103.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	874452 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0104.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	874453

Comment

My knowledge ends there. There is a module that can go, I think in the side cover. I was told it can be replaced with auto-part store. look under fuse box .
                  80 G

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
                    The bike today.

Name:	DSCN0780.JPG
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	874446
                    Deebs, At times I've resolved turnsignal flashing problems by replacing the 3 prong OEM flasher with a generic two pronged automobile flasher. Not sure why that works but I think it had something to do with replacement bulbs having a different load (resistance) than OEM bulbs. The problem with that solution is losing the auto cancel feature. So if you take a look at your flasher and find that someone replaced it with a two pronger, that is why your auto cancel doesn't work.
                    Bob's Bikes:
                    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                    "
                    Project XS11"
                    "Rucksack Grunt"
                    "Small Unit Leadership"
                    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                    For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
                      Has anyone ever had a turn signal module fail? Or the reed switch in the speedometer?

Deebs, If you want to try swapping out the turn signal cancel unit, I can send you one. (or any other electrical part!)
                      Bob's Bikes:
                      79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                      https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                      https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                      "
                      Project XS11"
                      "Rucksack Grunt"
                      "Small Unit Leadership"
                      "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                      For Sale Here.

Comment

Thanks Bob, I think I have a spare from the engine donor bike.

Name:	DSCN3891.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	874461 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3900.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	874462

Comment

Also the auto cancel unit, located under the seat, may fail a little at a time. It can work intermittently or cancel and then start blinking again. I have a few old ones- not sure if they're fixable.

Incorrect bulbs can affect all operation.
                          80 G

Comment

OK, I did some homework and studied the schematic posted in the factory manual. The self cancel feature is all based on the yellow/green output from the circuit processor to the 3 prong flasher. That line cancels the flashing on the third leg of the flasher. The circuit senses movement on the white/green wire. When you are moving you get a little "square wave" pulse generated (low/ground) from the reed switch in the speedometer. The yellow/red simply tells the unit to start processing signals which is activated when you hit your turn signal switch. Brown wire is power that comes on with the key and then there is a ground. What I find interesting about the design of this circuit is when your flashers stop automatically your handlebar switch is still left in either the left or right position yes?

Name:	Self Cancel Flasher XS11.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	874480

Comment

If someone wanted to eliminate all this complication and go back to an old fashioned "heavy duty" 2 prong flasher this is how you do it. Unplug the auto device located under your seat above the battery where the frame and rear fender meet. Its a black rectangular box. Remove the 3 prong flasher. Install your new 2 prong flasher only using the brown and brown/white wire. Let the yellow/green wire stay unplugged. Now you have a reliable conventional flasher system. Be advised that this simple circuit does not tell you if a flasher bulb is burnt out. Check your bulbs periodically. Since there is no cutting you can go back to the auto system if you want. The flasher is about $15.00.

Name:	Standard Flasher XS11.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	874482

Comment

Working...
                              X