Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
    Yep, they are the correct ones.
    EXCELLENT customer service from George, BTW. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. When it turned out he only had one in stock he had them dropped shipped from another vendor.
    Price was much better than Mike's, too!
    Got them F A S T.
    Sadly, buddy in hospital and now I have to drive out of state before finishing the project. Oh well. It will still be waiting when I get back-my friend may not.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyO View Post

EXCELLENT customer service from George, BTW. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. When it turned out he only had one in stock he had them dropped shipped from another vendor.
      Price was much better than Mike's, too!
      Got them F A S T.
      Sadly, buddy in hospital and now I have to drive out of state before finishing the project. Oh well. It will still be waiting when I get back-my friend may not.
      OK...I lied. Twiddling my thumbs here while I wait to leave and said, "I'll take the tank with me to the shop out of state and do the petcocks there". Then I had the tank off, took a look at it and said, hell....let's just do it all now. Cut new fuel lines and swapped old rubber gaskets. The left side O-ring came apart when I took out the petcock-that explains why it was SO HARD to turn.
      Done. Much cleaner looking now, too. Click image for larger version

Name:	No hole.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	874273
      Only question is on the "spider" ( as George called it ) that all the lines run off....which direction is the little "vent groove" that is sandwiched between the rubber diaphragms supposed to be? I only took one pic of it before I took it apart and it doesn't show it. I put it back together the first time and it was on the left side which it's clearly not in my pic. SO... I switched it to the bottom.
      Anybody know? Click image for larger version

Name:	Hole to bottom.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	874274 This pic shows the location of where I decided ( 50/50 chance I was right ...or wrong. THough once I thought I was wrong. But I was mistaken. )
      THanks guys!

Comment

Don't know for sure JonnyO, but one may figure that slot would be adjacent to the bleed hole in the diaphragm and/or the vacuum hole in the end cap. I haven't taken one of those apart in 15+ years. Not too many people still running those, Marty probably is, maybe he'll chime in.
        Last edited by bikerphil; 07-01-2023, 08:21 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

It might not matter which direction the vent groove faces. When you have it apart just make sure there a clear path for atmospheric pressure to equalize.

All other being equal, less water intrusion if it faces downward?
          -Mike
          _________
          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

After watching a video of a similar valve being rebuilt (XJ vacuum petcock), the vent groove is on the same side as the vacuum port.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              After watching a video of a similar valve being rebuilt (XJ vacuum petcock), the vent groove is on the same side as the vacuum port.
              Hmm. So flip mine around then. Will do it when I get back in a week or two. Thanks!

Comment

Yep, hopefully the fella in the video assembled it correctly...

Click image for larger version

Name:	vent slot.png
Views:	107
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	874313
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

Well... I have mine like that...except it's at the bottom and not the top. Think I'll leave it as is. Thanks for the pic!

Comment

Yep, let us know how it all works out.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

Working...
                    X