Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOS ignition pickup coil - how bad do you want it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS ignition pickup coil - how bad do you want it?

Just came across an eBay ad for an NOS ignition pickup coil set, we're talking crazy money here folks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304654451251
    1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Wow, those are nice.

Comment

For the money I'd be tempted to go with this.

https://www.elektronik-sachse.de/sho...ha-xs1100.html
      1980 XS1100G

Comment

Hi LAB, I'm not sure if that unit would survive the environment of heat and cold more that a few years. It has never been tested because there is no documentation other than a sales ad. Maybe it would last. Maybe it wouldn't. The original equipment has lasted up to 45 years. I would spend the money on the real deal.

Comment

My electronics training was a half day high school / half day trade school in the late 70's and needless to say there's a lot I'm not current on.

Seems to me that there's nothing particularly unique about pickup coils, only in how they mount. Could there be a doable swap for the coils alone and not the backing plate out there?

How about going to old fashioned points? Is that idea worth entertaining?
          1980 XS1100G

Comment

Looks like the FJ1100 ignition pickup and Ignitor box is a direct swap, this seems like the most affordable option to replace the moving vacuum advance plate!

https://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/x...nition.123316/
            1980 XS1100G

Comment

nice nos https://www.ebay.com/itm/134581933493
              80 G

Comment

Don't forget, the crimp on the wire guide is the main problem with the pick up coils! Yamaha didn't leave any room for movement, and that is why the wires break. I tried to point that out to them in 1978 when the wires on my XS did that. But working in a small town dealer, and not going through training at the "factory" school, they didn't change anything....
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I've replaced mine with silicon insulated 100 strand 18ga wire and the bike is running top notch, I just don't want to have to deal with it again! You know how electrical problems work, they tend to show up at 4am in a torrential rain storm.
                  1980 XS1100G

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                    Don't forget, the crimp on the wire guide is the main problem with the pick up coils! Yamaha didn't leave any room for movement, and that is why the wires break. I tried to point that out to them in 1978 when the wires on my XS did that. But working in a small town dealer, and not going through training at the "factory" school, they didn't change anything....
                    What to do then to help the wires last with new pick up coils?
                    80 G

Comment

Originally posted by speedlimit85 View Post

What to do then to help the wires last with new pick up coils?
                      Leave the crimps a little loose so the wires can slide a bit. I try to keep them as a large circle just bigger than the braided sheathing. If the wires are able to move over about 2" they don't seem to beak as often. Do NOT open it so much that the wire can slip out of the crimp, as it can then catch in the spinning parts and break.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I just picked this one up from eBay $80.00. Bike had about 18K miles on it. Have you guys ever removed and replaced the tamper proof screws that hold the timing setting (1980+)? Can you use conventional metric cap screws once the old "snapped off" screw is extracted?

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (8).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	874289

Last edited by DEEBS11; 07-02-2023, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
                          Have you guys ever removed and replaced the tamper proof screws that hold the timing setting (1980+)? Can you use conventional metric cap screws once the old "snapped off" screw is extracted?

Do you really NEED to mess with those tamper proof screws? Seems to me you can remove the entire plate and the round metal drum it sits on then swap it into place with your existing one.

1980 XS1100G

Comment

No LAB3, everything is running fine. Just a tech question for future reference. I like the idea of just replacing the guts and leaving the plate.

Comment

Yes. I just did this. After drilling out the tamper proof bolts and marking the timing location, I replaced with bolts from NAPA to match the thread and length.

If you replace the whole thing you will need to time it.

If you remove the 3 screws with the pick-up coils on it and just replace that part, then the bolts do not need to be drilled.

I used the original timing marked part and took apart the rest to use the new parts.
                              80 G

Comment

Working...
                              X