stainless brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stainless brake lines

While I have the front end off of the 79 xs11 special, I want to upgrade to braided stainless brake lines. Has anyone converted the front 3 line system to a 2 line system. It looks easy enough to do. Any pros or cons to the 2 line system? Also looking for recommendations on current stainless sources. When searching past threads, I've found that a lot of brake line sources that were recommended in the past no longer exist. Thanks.
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Hey oh Ranger- I have on numerous bikes, just not on the XS. I have not had a reason to ditch the proportioning valve. I made a kit that is still available through a website I use: TechnaFit.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I went to a local hydraulic hose company that made up lines for my '79 Special. I did stick with the three line system, and it works well.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

My Goldwing had a linked braking system, the rear brake came from the factory plumbed into the right front disc. Since I tend to go off onto unpaved roads I did away with that to separate the front and rear. Both of my front brake lines where routed to the front master cylinder and attached to it with a longer banjo bolt (easily found on eBay)

It turned out that the front master cylinder wasn't quite up to the task and I ordered one with a bigger bore to compensate, that shouldn't be an issue for a master cylinder designed for two calipers such as on an XS.

As to stainless lines, there's plenty of sources on line to get them via a Google search. In my case I went to a NAPA auto parts store that made lines on site and it ended up being cheaper. You might want to check that out too, not to mention places that make hydraulic lines.
        1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I use Z1 Enterprises. They have stainless in different finishes (I prefer black coating) and lengths. You just measure the length you need and get the proper angle banjo ends. I have converted my KZ750 sidecar bike to dual front disc by using a double banjo bolt. Got about 40 thousand miles on this set up. Most Japanese bikes are 10mm banjos. You will need 2 different lengths of hose. 1 long line to reach over to the far caliper. Measure twice with no load on the front shocks. If they are to tight and the front end extends to its full length you can imagine what will happen. You will be driving home with rear brakes only.

https://www.z1enterprises.com/brake-...o-fitting.html

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
            I went to a local hydraulic hose company that made up lines for my '79 Special. I did stick with the three line system, and it works well.
            I did the same for my 79 standard. Found a local shop. Took the old hoses with me.

Jeff Korn
            Original Owner 79XS1100 E
            Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post
              While I have the front end off of the 79 xs11 special, I want to upgrade to braided stainless brake lines. Has anyone converted the front 3 line system to a 2 line system. It looks easy enough to do. Any pros or cons to the 2 line system? Also looking for recommendations on current stainless sources. When searching past threads, I've found that a lot of brake line sources that were recommended in the past no longer exist. Thanks.
              Bob, here is a thread I started a while back. Stainless Steel Brake Lines - XS11.club Forums.

My vote is to keep the three lines but as you well know many have gone to just two. I remember a few threads concerning doing that. I have not done it, but it seems easy enough. Why do you want to get rid of the proportioning valve?
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

The '79 Special does NOT have a proportioning valve, just a splitter for going from one to two lines. The '80 does have the valve, IIRC.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Fitted a TechnaFit braided steel brake line kit on my 80G a while back and, holycrap what an improvement! Absolutely no fitment concerns whatsoever! ("Clocking" of banjos now in my vocabulary) Never realized how spongy the brake feel was until this swap. To be fair, I also rebuilt the master cylinders and calipers - pads were already a recent replacement - and FRESH brake fluid! if you're going to fix it, go all the way. I also like to rotate my pads once in while as they're all the same on a standard - rear - directional only. - stays on rear. I've noticed puck side sometimes wears a little faster.. Front stopping power was so good, it made me realize how loose my steering head bearings were - got a "clunk" when I went hard on the front brakes. Tore them down and re-greased them - no significant wear - for a side benefit of a handling improvement. Stopping is an important part of going fast! (courtesy of Captain Obvious).
                  1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
                  1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
                  Owned - 1976 XS750D
                  Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
                  Owned - (unknown year) XS650
                  (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Thanks Guys, I think I'll check the local shops first and if no luck there, I'll look into the on-line sources that were mentioned (Technafit and Z1 etc.) The only reason I asked about going to two lines in the front rather than three is because I read about some guys doing that in some of the older threads. I guess the only advantage would be... one less line to buy.
                    Bob's Bikes:
                    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:

Bob's Books:
                    "
                    Project XS11"
                    "Rucksack Grunt"
                    "Small Unit Leadership"
                    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                    For Sale Here.

Comment

HI Bob,,,,I did it to my xjmaxim,,,,,same brake system,I think, integrated back and front with rear brake pedal,,,,the easy way...
                      .1.get two lines off ebay, generic, measure the distance from each caliper to the master cylinder and bypass the prop. valve so run line to each front caliper from the front master and one for the rear caliper to the rear master
                      2. Use a two line conn. bolt at the front master to connect both left and right front calipers
                      3. I put a direct line from the back master to back brake and eliminated the line going from the back to the front prop. cylinder. I know some members say they like the back and front integration, but it is dangerous in hard braking in a turn
                      4. plug the rear master output to the front prop. valve with the corrent size bolt,,,forgot but same thread, diameter as line coming out
                      5. bleed them all and enjoy MMMMMUCH better stopping power and feel Mike in S.Diego and Pa

Comment

almost forgot,,,type in motorcycle brake line in the ebay search and there will be lots of various colors, sizes available, I have used the vendors on multiple bikes,,,zero issues any questions give me a ring,,,Mike in S.Diego and Pa

Comment

Braided lines and BlueSpot caliper mod on the front, Works great

Comment

Hi Mike, My 81 midnight has the same integrated braking system as the xj11 maxim that you are describing. However, my dueling projects are a 79 special and an 80 midnight. Neither have that integrated system. They have separate front and back systems. What I was asking about was changing the 3 front brake lines (one from the MC and two to the calipers) and running just two lines directly from the MC to the calipers . Thus eliminating the T and one of the lines. I'll most likely leave it as is though. I'll search ebay like you suggested but also check the local shops first. It would be great just to drop off the old lines and get exact matches made. Keeping it quick and simple and local! Sounds like a plan....We'll see.
                            Bob's Bikes:
                            79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:

Bob's Books:
                            "
                            Project XS11"
                            "Rucksack Grunt"
                            "Small Unit Leadership"
                            "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                            For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by auxtian View Post
                              Braided lines and BlueSpot caliper mod on the front, Works great
                              Thanks Auxtian... That's a great looking bike you have there!!!
                              Bob's Bikes:
                              79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:

Bob's Books:
                              "
                              Project XS11"
                              "Rucksack Grunt"
                              "Small Unit Leadership"
                              "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts: