top speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post

this is why i think the xs11 is not as popular as a chain driven bikes, if it was chain driven i think they would be on a par with the other top bikes from the same era.
    Chain drive is much less dependable, shaft drive is. Most particularly with LD riders like me. Also much smoother. I very seldom find it necessary to go more than 100 mph. Pavement is quite unforgiving even at much lower speeds.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
      Every site run by an administrator is monitored by moderators and they watch what is posted.
      That's why when I was asked to be a mod I told TC I didn't have the temperament for it and turned it down.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Soccer, that was a 2007 R1200RT, and the Kawasaki Conni I had later was MUCH faster! I was doing 130 for 20 minutes trying to make a motel before they were sold out due to I80 being closed in Nevada.
        What the chain drive has over the shaft drive is the ease to change the final drive ratio. That is why "a chain drive can go faster". We can do that with the 850 FD swap. You still cannot gear the bike for the "best" RPM to speed like a chain, but it helps.
        As far as Faceplant, I left it years ago due to security issues. I used to work in an A&D(aerospace and defense) division for Xilinx, and used very secure passwords. They were hacked frequently.....Inside job!
        Last edited by DiverRay; 03-01-2023, 05:54 PM.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

That beemer was something,,,I looked in front of me on that long pass at Roo, on his 78 xs bobber and he was laying flat out on the seat with his legs straight back, I had to look twice to see him, then you Flew by like we were standing still, the xs1100 gears and engine chain sounded like a hornets nest ready to explode. THat Kawi Conni also a dream speed machine Ride Safe, Ride Happy Mike in San DIego and Pa.

Comment

Was that the 2011 Durango rally? I rode out there from the front range with Capton Zap. Then started the Colorado Rally I began hosting in 2014.

DiverRay, you showed up to the 2017 Kremmling rally on the C14. Soccer4m, you were on the XJ Maxim until the last rally I hosted in 2021 when you rode the 650 V- Strom.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

HOwdy Bonz,,,I forgot which rally, but the one with DiverRay on his Speedy Beemer probably Duragno, and yes that was my old Xj 1100 Maxim wound out to max plus ready to grenade if I kept it up.....fun days, great rally, will get ahold of you about the W.Va. rally coming up end of may if interested....so top speed of an xj 1100 maxim with slightly larger tire is between 125-133mph according to my gps watch, since the speedo on the maxim only went up to 85mph and was way pegged out after that ........we lived to ride another day,,,,, Mike in San Diego and Pa.

Comment

Working...
              X