top speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• top speed

Yesterday a guy said he went 155 mph on one of our bikes stock in 1978 in albuquerque.
    80 G

Originally posted by speedlimit85 View Post
    Yesterday a guy said he went 155 mph on one of our bikes stock in 1978 in albuquerque.
    I'm sure he did. In his dreams.

130.....maybe

Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

I've had my speedo telling me I was around 115 with plenty of throttle left and then lost my nerve to try any faster. Not a real smart idea actually.
      1981 Midnight Special
      Formerly had a Seca 550 and boy was it fast!!

Comment

There's no shortage of tall tales and fables out there, cable news networks (pick one, any one) cater to those who seek them!
        1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

down a very steep hill maybe and speedo's always over read.

Comment

I have seen top speed posted in the journals for XS1100. What I have seen varies from 129 mph to 137 mph. That's fast for it's day. Back when it was new and I was young and invincible, I drove my XS650 to 112 mph. That was damn fast for that bike! I mostly stayed quiet about it rather than be thought a teller of tall tails.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

After adding my kerker an a bit of resetting back in the 70’s, about 135 was it….. my buddy with the new the four valve Suzuki was a bit faster top end. ☹️☹️☹️
              Jeff Korn
              Original Owner 79XS1100 E
              Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Comment

These speedometers are about as accurate as the main stream media. The only accurate way is with GPS.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I wound out my xs on a loooong colorado downhill, hit 130 mph totally wrung out with the engine sounding like a mad hornet, and DiverRay went flying by our crazy xs group on his BMW 1300 like we were standing still laughing his asssss off. I can see why Cops use the beemers, they are smoooth and super fast......Mike in San Diego

Comment

Had a guy at the Yamaha shop where I used to take my bike wanted to see what my bike would do. Kerker full exhaust, Lockhart racing oil cooler and K&N air filters. Took it to a dragstrip not too far away and best top speed was 129.5 mph. 155 mph-no way. Maybe my ZRX 1100 could maybe hit that. Remember its not how fast you can go, you also have to stop.
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    Inline fuel filters
                    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                    160 mph speedometer mod
                    Kerker Exhaust
                    xschop K & N air filter setup
                    Dynojet Recalibration kit
                    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

125 was my fastest. maybe had a little more.
                      79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
                      85 Honda v65 Magna
                      70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
                      02 Road King (retirement gift)
                      First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Mine does about 70.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
                          Mine does about 70.
                          Buried the speedo on mine the day I bought it, don't think I've gone much faster than you have since!
                          1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Mine would only do about 85 until I changed the speedometer. Now it's capable of 140 it says.
                            Last edited by BA80; 02-18-2023, 02:52 PM.
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I have had discussions with folks out on the Facebook forums concerning this topic. Some of the younger gearheads like to tell everyone out there that doing one or another modifications on the engine or carbs etc... is going to increase the top speed of the xs11. I always remind them that the shaft drive negates anything they do as for top speed. Maybe a bit more torque and a bit more horsepower but top end speed no, that is unless you change out the shaft drive to chain drive. The reason I generally involve myself into those discussions is because of all the misinformation that is spouted out on Facebook. After a while I just get tired of arguing with them.
                              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                              81 LH
                              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X