xs11 run/start issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs11 run/start issue

right the next issue on this problem bike is, when i press the start button it fires up but as soon as i let go of the start button it cuts out !!!!!!! if i hold the start button a few seconds it keeps running. it was fine yesterday but maybe it doesn't like Tuesdays

found it, it is a broken wire on the resistor. can it be permanently bypassed ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post
      found it, it is a broken wire on the resistor. can it be permanently bypassed ?
      Only if you switch to aftermarket 3 ohm coils, the factory coils are 1.5 and bypassing will stress the TCI.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post

Only if you switch to aftermarket 3 ohm coils, the factory coils are 1.5 and bypassing will stress the TCI.
        cheers Phil, I can't repair it as its broken low down and very rusty, better get a new one this bike is testing my patience but it was cheap

Comment

Yep, the 78-79 models used the ballast and 1.5 ohm coils, in 80 or 81 they went to 3 ohm with no ballast.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

Yep, the 78-79 models used the ballast and 1.5 ohm coils, in 80 or 81 they went to 3 ohm with no ballast.
            cheers for the info, just had a look for another one but nothings available !!!! will keep looking. is their alterative ?

Comment

Not that I'm aware of. Maybe try repairing yours by cutting it open and adding a new wire? If you want to run the engine, bypass the resistor by plugging the 2 wires together. It won't/shouldn't hurt the TCI if it's run just for a few minutes.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

Not that I'm aware of. Maybe try repairing yours by cutting it open and adding a new wire? If you want to run the engine, bypass the resistor by plugging the 2 wires together. It won't/shouldn't hurt the TCI if it's run just for a few minutes.
                yeah i'll give it a go

Comment

Its beyond repair but managed to find one on CMS

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post
                    Its beyond repair but managed to find one on CMS
                    Another alternative to a new ballast resistor would be to just upgrade the bike to new 3 ohm dyna coils and then bypass the resistor.
                    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                    81 LH
                    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                    Jim

Comment

Here is the maintenance tip on the Dyna coils. You would want the DC3-1 coils rather then the DC2-1's. Dyna Coil Upgrade - XS11.club Forums
                      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

Another alternative to a new ballast resistor would be to just upgrade the bike to new 3 ohm dyna coils and then bypass the resistor.
                        I thought about that but when I weighed up the cost of a new resister against new coils, the resistor was the cheapest option, this bike is costing me a lot right now and im on a tight budget just trying to get it running good first.

Comment

You might want to see if you can get the resistor through an auto parts store, my guess is it would be cheaper. On my Goldwing they where $20 via a motorcycle parts house, the local auto parts store had one for $6. There's nothing special about them, just the resistance (ohms) and how many watts they can handle.
                          1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I have a spare ballast resistor on the shelf if you still need one.
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

thanks for the offer guys but ive already bought a genuine Yamaha one. plus im in the UK.

Comment

Working...
                              X