No announcement yet.

My speedometer isn't keeping up accurately. Fuel gauge is not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Phil, what voltage is that regulator? Do you have a part number for the IC?

Comment

It is 7 volts...

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...1eF6wy4w%3D%3D

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230211_211845~2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	872168
      Last edited by bikerphil; 02-11-2023, 08:20 PM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks Phil. It's great when you can spend $2.00 to avoid a $50.00 part. My problem was the sender and luckily I had a spare. However, when out on a ride I noticed my speedometer was showing incorrect speed and it ended with the unit getting stuck at about 50MPH. It has since returned to 0. I guess I will try the WD40 trick and try not to flood the interior of the meter.

Comment

Worked on the speedometer last night. Made the mistake of removing it from the cluster bracket and in the process ruined the rubber damper gasket because it was so old and brittle. It was only then that I looked around on-line and found that part is not available anywhere. Is there any alternative to the square shaped rubber damper (2H7-83513-01-00)for a standard XS11? Has anyone run into this problem when changing and instrument bulb?

Comment

You can make one from rubber window gasket from Home Depot. It needs to be trimmed down with manicure scissors and it is white, so will need to be painted after installing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230215_085035~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.8 KB ID:	872219

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230215_085640~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.8 KB ID:	872220
            Last edited by bikerphil; 02-15-2023, 08:04 AM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

There was hope on the horizon briefly - I was communicating with Sumo Rubber in the U.K. (now closed) last August about making/stocking some square dampers.

"Hello Len,
              this part is on our list already, we are just struggling to get a sample in good enough condition to send for reproduction.
              Please follow us on social media, we will be announcing any new parts there.

Thank you for your suggestion!

Kind regards

Jackie"

If someone can source another custom rubber fabricator, other than making some up yourself, that appears to be the only way to get good replicas. Haven't had any luck finding NOS units as I'm sure 40+ year-old rubber, unless stored under pristine conditions, would just rot away to dust.

On FleaBay - Sold - Behold - the holy grail.....

And the buyer's feedback....

"Despite being described as New, I was unable to use the meter dampers because of the AGE of the rubber. They crumbled apart when I took them out of the wrappers. This was entirely my own fault , I should have asked about the condition of the rubber to see if they were still soft."

Last edited by LenB; 02-15-2023, 09:27 AM.
              1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
              1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
              Owned - 1976 XS750D
              Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
              Owned - (unknown year) XS650
              (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Thank you Phil and Len. I guess this problem has been around for a while. I tried something this morning with neoprene sheets. I cut 1 thick strip and 1 thin strip to build a step in the rubber to closely resemble the original part.

Comment

Finished product. Looks pretty stock I guess.

Comment

Good news, speedometer works great! Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Good speedo repair info:

https://xs1100.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=3538.0

Comment

Nice job. Yep, nice to be able to make your own parts if needed.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

Comment

Working...
                        X