Velcro Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Velcro Carbs

Has anyone found that the carbs get easier and easier to get on and off the more one does it?

Yeah, me neither.
    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Have you watched this?

https://youtu.be/tsJ3xWA4V7g
    78 E

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
      Has anyone found that the carbs get easier and easier to get on and off the more one does it?

Yeah, me neither.
      They are for from the worst, but yes, I'm picking up what you're laying down. They're actually easier than my XS650.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by alaskey2 View Post
        Have you watched this?

https://youtu.be/tsJ3xWA4V7g
        Geoff..Steptoe makes some very good videos and I have watched many of his over the years. This particular one in over 5 years old so I would assume that yes many of us have seen it.

Last edited by cajun31; 11-19-2021, 06:44 PM.
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

They are for from the worst, but yes, I'm picking up what you're laying down. They're actually easier than my XS650.
          They are far from the worst. I have had mine on and off so many times over the past two years ... restoring two MNS's that I can have them off in less then 15 minutes. Back on in about the same amount of time. I think it depends on how pliable everything is. Hot bike, warm weather .. versus cold bike cold weather. Fortunately it isn't something that has to be done that often. Really boils down to how well you take care of the bike... ie... fuel filter, gas selection, storage, amount of riding time etc..
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          Jim

Comment

If you really want to find religeon and learn new vocabulary- try removing the carbs on a neglected Honda V65.
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

I did it recently three times, following tips on here and Steptoe--Oddly (or not) I had MUCH more trouble with the airbox boots (#3 had dried a bit and shrunk) than the carb holders since I had lubed and warmed them. Not looking forward to doing it again soon, though.
              Steve R

'80 SG
              "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
              1978 XS400E Red
              1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

Yeah, me neither.
                Hi Larry! Having removed them many a time over the decades, practice makes for quickness. Takes me time-wise approx. 12min. for carb removal, which includes seat, fuel tank and fairing lowers on my bought new 81 Venturer.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey Motoman! I've had them on and off maybe 15 times in the 25 years I've owned Effing Bee. Usually it was on and off three times in a month as I searched out an issue, so it got routine, and then a few years of riding until a long sitting spell gummed them up again. It's been a while so I had some relearning to do.

Comment

Totally understand LoHo. Just for grins, I*d suggest draining the fuel tank, put some fresh fuel back in tank with a bit of Sea Foam added. Ride the bike some and see it that will help smooth it out a bit before removing carbs for a through internal cleaning.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      Totally understand LoHo. Just for grins, I*d suggest draining the fuel tank, put some fresh fuel back in tank with a bit of Sea Foam added. Ride the bike some and see it that will help smooth it out a bit before removing carbs for a through internal cleaning.
                      My friend calls this the Italian tune up.
                      78 E

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        I have tried that in the past and it didn't work. Well to be honest it didn't work to fully clean the carbs. It did clean the pilot circuit fairly well but when I went out on the bike it had no top end and the bike would only go about 45 to 50 mph. I thought well let me let it sit another day or so and still no top end. When I eventually pulled the carbs the jets really didn't look too bad but the emulsification tubes were fairly gummed up. Of course the ultimate culprit in the whole deal was the fact that like Larry it had sat a while and the gas I was running was ethanol 10. I try to never store the bike with that crap in it anymore. I make sure the last tank I run and the top off tank are ethanol free and then to top that off I put Stabil in the tank and drain the carbs. Has done the trick so far.
                        81 LH
                        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                        Jim

Comment

I appreciate the help, guys. This list is amazing and always has been.

For the record, I was not seeking advice, just bitching about the process. Also, I think Seafoam is great maintenance, but once she has sat awhile and runs rough, the whole "triple clean" is the only way.

Comment

I appreciate the help, guys. This list is amazing and always has been.

For the record, I was not seeking advice, just bitching about the process. Also, I think Seafoam is great maintenance, but once she has sat awhile and runs rough, the whole "triple clean" is the only way.
                            Can you even get ethanol free gas out there? I stay on E0 and ride the bike. I seldom mess with the carburetors. If you have to run E10, then I'm sorry for your luck. It's a real problem for carburetors.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

I couldn't agree more with Mike (Radioguylogs). Everyone should remove and rebuild a set of carbs from an 80s Honda V4 so they can appreciate how "easy" it is to do an inline four set of carbs!
                              1980 XS1100 SG
                              1979 XS1100 F
                              1982 XJ 650
                              1983 XS 650

Comment

Working...
                              X