Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Chain Tensioner VMAX Swap.

Hello All,

I got a cam chain tensioner off a 1985 VMAX on the way. Is there a procedure for those who have swapped I should know about? Or do I just drop it in a forget about it since it is self-adjusting?

Originally posted by Banshee's Veil View Post
    Hello All,

I got a cam chain tensioner off a 1985 VMAX on the way. Is there a procedure for those who have swapped I should know about? Or do I just drop it in a forget about it since it is self-adjusting?
    When you go to replace the CCT make sure you follow the procedure for tightening the old one. Remove the left side engine cover where the timing plate is and rotate the timing plate (clockwise) and stop it on the C mark. Now you can go ahead and remove the old tensioner and install the vmax replacement. Make sure the the plunger is totally retracted before installing. Once you have it in place and secured then allow the plunger to release. Slowly take your wrench and rotate the engine clockwise again being gentle as you turn. You don't want to bend a valve. If you feel any resistance then stop and investigate the cause. Shouldn't have any problems. I have done all mine with no problems. Sure make life easier not having to worry about adjusting the old CCT.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Make sure the bike is on the center stand and not the side stand when doing the procedure, otherwise the can chain may slip off the crankshaft sprocket. You don't want this to happen.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

When you go to replace the CCT make sure you follow the procedure for tightening the old one. Remove the left side engine cover where the timing plate is and rotate the timing plate (clockwise) and stop it on the C mark. Now you can go ahead and remove the old tensioner and install the vmax replacement. Make sure the the plunger is totally retracted before installing. Once you have it in place and secured then allow the plunger to release. Slowly take your wrench and rotate the engine clockwise again being gentle as you turn. You don't want to bend a valve. If you feel any resistance then stop and investigate the cause. Shouldn't have any problems. I have done all mine with no problems. Sure make life easier not having to worry about adjusting the old CCT.
        Thank you. What do you mean by plunger totally retracted? I don't have it yet but does it have a mechanism to hold it back?

Comment

Yes, it does have a mechanism to keep the plunger in until it's installed. You will see how it works once you have the part in hand. DO NOT forget to check the length of the two hold down bolts! Some of the ACCs need shorter bolts than the stock adjuster on the 1100.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I installed a Venture CCT. You will want to check bolt lengths because is can be different through the models. You don’t want one bottoming out before it is tight.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
            03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by Banshee's Veil View Post

Thank you. What do you mean by plunger totally retracted? I don't have it yet but does it have a mechanism to hold it back?
              If you haven't already received it then what I mean is the plunger can be fully retracted by removing the large bolt in the center. That bolt covers the main spring and once it is removed and the tension relieved you can then manipulate the plunger by rotating (for lack of a better term the catch mechanism that won't allow it to back up) with your thumb and then push the plunger back into the housing. Once you have it installed you simply put the spring and bolt back in place and it pushes the plunger back out to rest against the cam chain guide. Like everyone else has stated make sure you check the length of the bolts to be sure they are not too long. If I remember correctly it is actually better to have whoever you bought the vmax tensioner from to include those bolts. They are the correct length. The ones that came with the original that are on the bike now will be too long.
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              Jim

Comment

Do the mounting holes on the Vmax tensioner match up perfectly to the XS? Hopefully! I know that some of the ones that work are slightly off. I, along with others around here, have had to file one of the mounting holes on some of the compatible CCT versions. I did it on either a Vision 550 tensioner or the ATV tensioner, can't remember which one. And yes, get the bolts that come with the tensioner.
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

If you didn't get the bolt, they should be 6mm X 10mm cap screws, IIRC. I usually use stainless steel, purchased from Ace Hardware. I try to run a "thread cleaner" into the holes first, and it will show how long the screw can be once you add the thickness of the boss on the CCT.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                    Do the mounting holes on the Vmax tensioner match up perfectly to the XS? Hopefully! I know that some of the ones that work are slightly off. I, along with others around here, have had to file one of the mounting holes on some of the compatible CCT versions. I did it on either a Vision 550 tensioner or the ATV tensioner, can't remember which one. And yes, get the bolts that come with the tensioner.
                    Most folks report they used the Vmax tensioners without filing the holes. However, mine leaked oil and I had to remove it and file the holes a bit to get it sit tightly against he the head.

I used the Vmax mounting bolts.
                    -Mike
                    _________
                    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post

Most folks report they used the Vmax tensioners without filing the holes. However, mine leaked oil and I had to remove it and file the holes a bit to get it sit tightly against he the head.

I used the Vmax mounting bolts.
                      I have the VMax tensioners on all 3 of my bike and have never had a problem. I did however install new gaskets when I installed them. Don't know if that made the difference or not but I have never had one leak. YET?
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      Jim

Comment

I don't remember what mine came off of but it wasn't a Vmax. I had to file the holes. And use my 11 bolts and yes they are just a little too long so I shortened them. No leaks since I put it on and that was several years ago.
                        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Thank you so much for the support and responses. This is one of those simple fixes that seemed complicated to me. I got the tensioner installed, with stainless bolts that are a bit shorter. Turns over and starts. I think its good lol.

Comment

Hi folks, I am new to this forum. I just bought myself a 1978 Yamaha XS1100. I was tightening the cam chain tensioner and obviously over tightened the small bolt and lock nut - it cracked and is now leaking oil. From what I am reading in the above posts, it looks like people are using the VMax CCT as a replacement option. I'll need to but a replacement CCT - is there a specific year that I should look for, or does it matter?

Comment

Originally posted by ageneroux View Post
                              Hi folks, I am new to this forum. I just bought myself a 1978 Yamaha XS1100. I was tightening the cam chain tensioner and obviously over tightened the small bolt and lock nut - it cracked and is now leaking oil. From what I am reading in the above posts, it looks like people are using the VMax CCT as a replacement option. I'll need to but a replacement CCT - is there a specific year that I should look for, or does it matter?
                              It looks like Vmax years 83-07 will work according to this list....

https://xs11.club/forum/modification...ain-tensioners
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                              X