Cam Chain Tensioner VMAX Swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Phil.

Note: First year for Vmax is 1985, so '85-'07 will work.

Each Vmax engine has 2 tensioners, so I got two of them in an inexpensive eBay purchase.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by ageneroux View Post
      Hi folks, I am new to this forum. I just bought myself a 1978 Yamaha XS1100. I was tightening the cam chain tensioner and obviously over tightened the small bolt and lock nut - it cracked and is now leaking oil. From what I am reading in the above posts, it looks like people are using the VMax CCT as a replacement option. I'll need to but a replacement CCT - is there a specific year that I should look for, or does it matter?
      Do you want an OEM one? The one I pulled off was fine, I just had a leak because there was no gasket, just some rtv that I had to peel off.

Comment

DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE WITH A CRACKED HOUSING! It can cause the tensioner plunger to slip back and be held is a slack position. It can make the cam chain slip and ruin the valves. Been there/done that.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
        03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Thanks for all of the input - Good points. I'm looking to buy either a used or new one. OEM or other. I'll try ebay or amazon.

Comment

The guy I bought my 78 1100 from swore that it was all original., until I pulled the carbs and soon discovered that the carbs are from an older model, probably a 80 or 81 year. Hmm, I wonder what else I will discover as I slowly rebuild it..lol. Can anyone tell me which supplier they use for their XS'? I've heard of Mikes XS and XS Direct, but not sure if there are any other recommended vendors. I live Canada, so there are already challenges with getting access to parts.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Andrew

Comment

Canada has Parts N More for XS parts.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Thanks, I've used them before for my 1982 Yammy XJ650RJC Seca.. she was a beauty. I'll give them a try for this XS bike.

Cheers,

Andrew

Comment

I've checked all of the "Canadian" suppliers and no one seems to have anything in stock. I'll try ebay or Amazon for a used one. I did notice many aftermarket "Manual" CCT's that seem to be available. I know that they are probably not as good as the "Automatic" spring loaded CCT's, but it may be my only option.

Thanks again for all of your valued input guys.

Cheers,
                  Andrew

Comment

Most of us use the ebay used part for the CCT. It's cheap, and they don't really go "bad", as it takes a LOT of miles to show wear on the mechanism.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ray, thanks for the tip. I'll give ebay another try.

Cheers,
                      Andrew

Comment

I bought 2 off eBay if you want one LMK. Off 01 royal star XVZ13 LT. $10 shipped would split my cost. PM Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211023_145709879.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	866883 me if you like.
                        1979 XS1100 Special
                        1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
                        1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
                        1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Wow, what a difference. Added the CCT today on a freshly adjusted valve train and this bike sounds sweet now! I did adjust the holes a tad (the gasket was fresh 200 miles ago) and used that as an indicator of where the holes were and shortened the bolts a bit. ageneroux I've got this other one here if you still need it.
                          1979 XS1100 Special
                          1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
                          1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
                          1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Originally posted by 2WheelFun View Post
                            Wow, what a difference. Added the CCT today on a freshly adjusted valve train and this bike sounds sweet now! I did adjust the holes a tad (the gasket was fresh 200 miles ago) and used that as an indicator of where the holes were and shortened the bolts a bit. ageneroux I've got this other one here if you still need it.
                            I know right? Mine sounded better after I installed the VMax tensioner as well. I already adjusted clearance so that was not the issue.

Comment

Working...
                            X