No announcement yet.

Handle bar wobble with new tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put new springs in at the beginning of 2019 so that's the last time I changed the fluid. I looked on the shelf and I had almost 2 qts of fork oil and it's 15 wt. I changed the oil. The preloads were on the stiffest setting and I put them back there. I went for a ride it still has the wobble the same as before but it is slight. I'm being picky. When I notice something like that it bugs me. lol.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Originally posted by red bandit View Post
      I put new springs in at the beginning of 2019 so that's the last time I changed the fluid. I looked on the shelf and I had almost 2 qts of fork oil and it's 15 wt. I changed the oil. The preloads were on the stiffest setting and I put them back there. I went for a ride it still has the wobble the same as before but it is slight. I'm being picky. When I notice something like that it bugs me. lol.
      If you don't have a fork brace ...that would probably be a good next step. Tarozzi makes one that will fit your standard. Fork Brace Yamaha XS1100 | Yamaha Motorcycle Parts | Mikes XS
      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
      81 LH
      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
      Jim

Comment

I have a Tkat brace.
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

How does the runout look on the rotors? Maybe one got bent a little when mounting the tire, I've had it happen. I've also got a couple bad front Shinko 712's many years back, I don't use them on the front anymore.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

I had a Shinko 712 front tire with a bad wobble. I had to return it and I used another brand in front.
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

A bad tire can shake the handlebars.
              80 G

Comment

Originally posted by red bandit View Post
                I have a Tkat brace.
                Sounds like you have all the bases covered ... yet you still have wobble. You described wobble even before the new tires. Might want to try stiffening the forks with progressive springs. You sated you are running with a fairing, which adds a bit more weight up front. Progressive springs with more air pressure in the forks might stiffen them enough to take some of the play out of them. How big of a guy are you? The reason I ask of course is from the weight perspective. One of the biggest draw backs on these old 11's was the weak front end. For the day though most all bikes had that very same problem. If I were you I would go back through everything on the front end .. .including the steering bearings. Check the bearings and the races. Then work your way down from there. If you find no problems I would upgraded the fork springs to stiffen the forks. At least that would alleviate the bounce in them. Not a easy endeavor for sure and might be a good winter project. For now while the weather is permitting just ride it.
                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                81 LH
                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                Jim

Comment

I spun the wheel and watched the rotor at the gap at the caliper. I couldn't see any variation in either rotor. When I put the new springs in it was a lot harder getting the fork caps on and I don't have near the sag I used to. It rides nice. It just wiggles a little at 20-30. It's not bad but I know it's there. I think I will ride it for now. The season will be over soon enough. This winter I'll go through the front end thourgholy. Thanks for all your help.
                  79 SF parts bike.

Comment

red bandit, you may want to consider putting a hair bit more pre-load on those steerring head tapered rollor bearings.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Will do. Thank you.
                      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

The test for correct setting is to raise the front end, and with the wheel centered lightly push one direction on the handlebar. The front end should smoothly fall to the side, but NOT quickly. Do both directions, and then slowly go lock to lock with the bars, feeling for any "snags" or sticky spots.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                          The test for correct setting is to raise the front end, and with the wheel centered lightly push one direction on the handlebar. The front end should smoothly fall to the side, but NOT quickly. Do both directions, and then slowly go lock to lock with the bars, feeling for any "snags" or sticky spots.
                          The issue I've come across with this method is there's no weight on the front end, obviously. The bearings have worn from being in use or pitting with weight upon them for a long period of time, not suspended off the ground. With no load on them they may not show the signs you were looking for. A method I have heard is to take a piece of wax paper, put it on the garage floor, roll the front tire onto it. Now do the same test as described above while straddling the bike. How easily do the bars move left to right, and is there any roughness or notchiness. JAT.
                          Last edited by Bonz; 08-24-2021, 10:31 PM.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Tires are directional. Do you have the arrow pointed in the direction of travel?
                            "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

The arrows are pointed in the correct direction. Thanks. I'll go thru everything this winter. Not much riding season left.
                              79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X