Hi guys, new XS owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi guys, new XS owner

Hello all, I picked up a 1979 xs11 special recently. It has been sitting in a garage for many many years. 19,000 miles. I plan to do a complete frame off resto on it but I have a couple other bikes lined up for this winter so I am probably going to go through the basics (brakes, carbs, forks) and get it running this summer. The motor spins free, no frame damage, the tank looks amazing on outside but unfortunately is rotted through on top front, you wouldn't even know because the paint is still holding up! You can push it right in.
    It has a Pacifico aero fairing that I removed for now, I'm still debating keeping, will probably have to get a windscreen if I do. It has Fox Shox air adjustable rear shocks, they are faded from red to pink, not sure if I will try to paint them or replace. There is what appears to be a kill switch mounted above the coils by the neck, have not traced the wires to be sure yet. The front fork air valves are ran together to a single T, it did not come that way from factory correct? It also has some fork braces that I'm not sure if they are worth keeping on.

It looks like you guys have a great solid forum here. I'm glad to join it. I have attached some pictures of her.

Comment

HI JJ,,,looks like a good project and future good xs runner,,,,where you located? Also, tons of info in the search.....keep us informed how the xs is coming along.........keep the fork brace, all the xs1100s need them, the Pacifico is a huge fairing, if you dont need the weight and size of the pacifico, a fork mount like plexifairing will do a great job for wind protection, you should be able to locate a decent gas tank, here or ebay,,,,,for rear shocks a lot of info on using the stock honda shocks lots of them avail. ebay, muffler replacement if needed, the harley dyna mufflers are cheap and sound great, the info is in the search also, , .Mike in San Diego

Comment

Thanks for the Info Mike. I'm in northwest Indiana. Luckily my exhaust is pretty good, minor pitting that should clean up.I have never seen these Fox shocks on anything before, can't find any info on them. I bet they looked pretty cool when new to match the red paint. Still had air in them.
        Yeah the fairing is huge and heavy, its like the front of a boat.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
          Yeah the fairing is huge and heavy, its like the front of a boat.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	SS 1100.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	865747
          -Mike
          _________
          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post

Name:	SS 1100.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	865747
            Lol that's about what it reminds me of. If the windscreen was nicer I would consider putting it back on. Looks like you can get a replacement but its about $300. If I go without it I will still have to source the missing pieces.

Comment

Is that mounted in that boat? Actually pretty clever idea for a cockpit if so.

Comment

No, I was storing the fairing and bags in the boat while I fixed up the bike over winter. My wife and another person remarked that it looked like it belonged on the boat.

Name:	Finished 2.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	865752
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Nice XS!....and a good complete project. ....but my classic dirt bike eye caught a nice possibly 1978 Bultaco Pursang????

Comment

Originally posted by 2LZ View Post
                    Nice XS!....and a good complete project. ....but my classic dirt bike eye caught a nice possibly 1978 Bultaco Pursang????
                    Yes, 1976. Picked it up from the same guy as the XS, he parked them both in his mother's garage back in the 80's before he went overseas and never road them again. I will be restoring it also, can't wait to smell it's 2 stroke awesomeness fire up!

Comment

Working...
                    X