Newbie questions on jets and clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie questions on jets and clutch

Hi there - I just picked up a non-running 1979 XS1100F and have been enjoying reading all of the information on this site.
    Couple of questions;
    I cleaned the carbs and noticed that it has size 110 main jets with individual pods. It does have the older style 1979 carbs as I checked just in case. Reading the information here, the main jets should be 137.5 - this is a California bike - is there anything different with the cali models or did someone put in the wrong jets? Also, I presume with pod filters, I would need to upsize to 145 (everything else stock).

Second question - I tried pushing the bike (not started) in gear with the clutch pulled in and it would not roll. Question is; is this normal for this bike (does it need to be running?) or do you think the clutch plates are stuck?
    Any help much appreciated.

as for the jetting I would go by this post as a guide. Not the gospel mind you but as a guide. Jetting Recommendations - XS11.club Forums

The second question ... these bikes are very hard to push to begin with, however with the clutch pulled in you should be able to move the bike. would be easier to check with the bike running and everything rotating then use the clutch to disengage the transmission and try to move it. If you suspect the plates are stuck it is not that much work to remove the clutch cover to inspect.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Jets, check and see if you still have the '79 carbs! Someone MAY have changed to the later model, and you would have smaller main jets.
      Clutch, park the bike on the side stand and remove the cover, then remove the plates. Clean up the steel and check the fiber, but they probably are good, just stuck. Replace the springs with BARNETTE springs, NOT any other brand except stock. You will need to pull the right foot peg to pull the cover.
      Welcome to the site!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks both. I did check because I thought of that too and I do have the 1979 carbs - good info on this site was able to help me there.

For the clutch - on the side stand, I presume you don't have to empty the engine oil and that nothing will leak once you take off the full cover - is that correct? Also can I reuse the gasket on the engine cover or have to replace?

Comment

If the cover/gasket is good when you remove it, you can just smear some non-hardening permatex to keep it from leaking.
          For the jets, I would go through the carbs and check everything. Make sure to use ONLY genuine Mikuni jets! Using K&L, or any other jet WILL cause problems.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks Ray - yep for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Twinzer View Post
              Hi there - I just picked up a non-running 1979 XS1100F and have been enjoying reading all of the information on this site.
              Couple of questions;
              I cleaned the carbs and noticed that it has size 110 main jets with individual pods. It does have the older style 1979 carbs as I checked just in case. Reading the information here, the main jets should be 137.5 - this is a California bike - is there anything different with the cali models or did someone put in the wrong jets? Also, I presume with pod filters, I would need to upsize to 145 (everything else stock).

Second question - I tried pushing the bike (not started) in gear with the clutch pulled in and it would not roll. Question is; is this normal for this bike (does it need to be running?) or do you think the clutch plates are stuck?
              Any help much appreciated.
              I would say that you are correct or nearly correct with the things you said. I would be very suspicious about the carbs being earlier model with 110 mains.
              Pod filters are a pain in my book. I had K&N oval filters and 145s if I remember correctly but I also had a 4 into 1 header. The cheaper round filters are prone to block the holes at the carb inlets. The older carbs will have vent hoses above the fuel hoses. Make sure the vent hoses aren’t blocked or the carbs will flood. Yeah, sticky clutch plates is common for a bike that has been sitting. Eventually they will relax as they are worked.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
              03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Working...
              X