No announcement yet.

Gas in airbox, petcock OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yanked out all pollution control crap (part #28) , sealed the holes on the airbox and just ran the breather to the ground - has had no impact on operation - possibly improved. Not a critical component as far as I can see. This part is abandoned when you install an aftermarket intake, anyway.
    1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
    1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
    Owned - 1976 XS750D
    Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
    Owned - (unknown year) XS650
    (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Yeah, but down here we need to put a filter on it to keep the bugs out.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I like keeping the original air box in place but I have neither the patience or skill to pull the carbs and put them back when retaining the oe air box. And when getting a long term non running bike back running the carbs may have to come off and on a couple times, another reason I can’t deal with the air box. I have a 15 year non runner now up and running and any thing that prevents the fuel float needles from sealing will cause fuel spill. I had an issue with the float brackets binding on the float “axles”. Anything that inhibits the float needles from sealing can be a problem, I’d like to keep the airbox but sometimes it gets in my way.
        I’m running cheap individual air filter pods, shimmed stock slide needles .025”, 42.5 pilots, 3 1/2 turns out on the fuel screws and 142.5 main jets. Might not be the way you want to go but it worked for me. Also ditched the dual vacuum petcocks and their maze of pipes, now running a single manual petcock
        Last edited by cnap504; 04-27-2021, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LenB View Post
          Yanked out all pollution control crap (part #28) , sealed the holes on the airbox and just ran the breather to the ground - has had no impact on operation - possibly improved. Not a critical component as far as I can see. This part is abandoned when you install an aftermarket intake, anyway.
          did you employ some sort of filter or anything to catch the oil or do you just allow it to go out on the road?
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

After you get the carbs right, there is a mod to the petcocks that will allow you to turn the fuel off mechanically. Get new Mikuni float valves and put gas in carbs off engine to check for leaks.
            1981 XS1100H Venturer
            K&N Air Filter
            ACCT
            Custom Paint by Deitz
            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
            Stebel Nautilus Horn
            EBC Front Rotors
            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment