Crankcase question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankcase question

Hello All, I have recently joined here. I have a 1979 XS1100 (very early serial number and matching frame.
    I have had it in bits for a while and now it is time to attempt a rebuild. Does anyone know if a scratch on the crankcase bearing housing renders the case junk? I have a stuck nozzle and the drill bit snapped and in turn scratching the housing. Getting another lower engine casing is not a problem but I would like to keep the original if possible. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks 😊
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HazXS; 01-04-2021, 12:32 PM. Reason: Adding images
    Why do I have to touch things when I should just leave them alone!!!

It will depend on how deep and long the scratch is. If you post a photo with a pence next to the scratch, it would make it easy to figure out. The other way to look at it is under 1mm wide, .5mm deep you should be good.
    Welcome to the site! Is the UK site down? I've not been on it for quite a few years, as life got in the way.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks for the reply Ray. I shall take pic tomorrow. In honesty I didn't know there was a UK site. Those blasted nozzles! It's still stuck.

Comment

The UK site is alive and kicking. XS1100UK Forum - Index The oil nozzle from the lower crankcase to the crankshaft bearing?

Comment

Yea I'm just waiting for acceptance 😌 yea that's the one. I believe there are 3 nozzles and one got stuck. 😠

Comment

Hi HazXS, Welcome to the .club. Bad deal on the drill bit.... Like Ray stated earlier, visual needed on this one.

---Bax
            80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Originally posted by HazXS View Post
              Yea I'm just waiting for acceptance
              You must have gone to that stupid facebook page. Click on the link i gave you and you'll be straight onto the UK Owners club forum, no acceptance. Facebook? Don't make me laugh!

Comment

Nope that's the same link I went on and now it says The firewall on this server is blocking your connection.
                Very strange.

Comment

Is that via your mobile phone or a PC? I sometimes get that message on my phone.
                  Anyway, in the meantime have you managed to take any pictures of the scratched crankcase?

Comment

Yea mobile. Not yet just at work so I'll do it when I get back

Comment

If you haven't got access to a PC sometimes turning the phone on and off allows connection to the UK forum.

Comment

Ah yes that worked but still says its waiting on approval

Comment

Let me see if i can jog the admin along a bit. Jeezus, what mither just to join a forum. You'd think they was some highly sensitive info there or summat!

Comment

You never know, you dig deeper you might find something. Right!!! Here is the pic.
                            Now I know I have messed it up so please be gentle.

Comment

What is the idea of having nozzles and why not just have machined holes? Just a thought

Comment

Working...
                              X