Very fine bike on ebay right now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
    Was watching to see if there were any fireworks at the end.

One sly bidder slipped in with 1:14 remining and upped the bid from $3800 to $3950.

Nothing happened after that.

Reserve not met.
    XS1100 is a bargain in the vintage bike market. Based upon our gray hair and dwindling parts supply, I don't believe they'll go up. It's still a great bike!
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

I don't think ebay is the proper venue for top quality classic bikes unless it is a super desirable model, too broad of an audience. Bike specific auction like Mecum, listing on bike specific forum classified section or maybe hemmings (for pre war bikes) would be where I would advertise. The auctions cost money because they have the collectors willing to shell out the bucks in attendance. The old adage, it takes money to make money.
      1979 XS1100 Special
      1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
      1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
      1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Would you buy that bike, fly to Utah, and ride it 1500 miles or more to home? How old are the tires, brake fluid, etc? Beautiful as it is, I believe it unlikely that bike is ready to go, unless you’re buying it for static display in your living room.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

I just wanted to save a picture of the bike. Once the Ebay listing expires and disappears we may never see it again.

Last edited by cajun31; 01-07-2021, 10:04 PM.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Wow, everything original on that except it having highway pegs, it's worth 5K+ IMO.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              Wow, everything original on that except it having highway pegs, it's worth 5K+ IMO.
              Evidently the owner thinks so too. At least he thinks it is worth more then the 3950 that was the last bid on it.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                eBay says it isn't. Not this week. I saw a different bike get some money on eBay. The owner was a motorcycle dealer (new bikes). They had a video. It showed that everything was serviced. New tires, seals, fork oil, grease, etc. That brought the price up, and should. Our beloved XS1100SF needs everything serviced.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Well, I still think it's worth 5K regardless of servicing, that's why I wrote "IMO" (in my opinion), not ebay's opinion nor anyone else's opinion, with all due respect Marty.
                  You just don't find one like this very often, I would buy it if it was closer to me.
                  Last edited by bikerphil; 01-08-2021, 08:52 AM.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

No issue with that, Phil! It is nice. If I bought it, I’d service it and promptly ride most of the value off of it. I’ve bought stuff after failed auctions, including a late model Subaru. Maybe about $500 would bring that bike to your door. You’re right. That nice doesn’t come up often.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

"ride most of the value off of it", that's the thing with the ultra low mileage bikes that are museum quality. If you use them the freshness fades fast as does all that value. If your going to ride the wheels off it, might as well get a bike that has some miles and hasn't sat unused for years.

If your one to want one of the nicest ones available, there is a price to be paid no matter what your plans are for it and no matter what you're buying.
                      1979 XS1100 Special
                      1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
                      1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
                      1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

10 yrs ago MAXIMAN sold his modified 1982 XJ1100 Maxim "Zilla" on ebay for over $8000...It went overseas to a private collector...prolly sitting in a museum collecting dust...so it isnt always just originality...Although that is what sells the best...
                        Last edited by madmax-im; 01-08-2021, 11:10 AM.
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Yep Marty, I would ride the hell out of it too, may as well enjoy it and not just look at it. Maybe do some fork cartridge emulators, no one would ever know.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

I suspect it will be re-listed or listed somewhere else. Guess he will just have to listen to it rust a little longer?
                            1981 XS1100H Venturer
                            K&N Air Filter
                            ACCT
                            Custom Paint by Deitz
                            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                            Stebel Nautilus Horn
                            EBC Front Rotors
                            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                              Would you buy that bike, fly to Utah, and ride it 1500 miles or more to home? How old are the tires, brake fluid, etc? Beautiful as it is, I believe it unlikely that bike is ready to go, unless you’re buying it for static display in your living room.
                              I flew to south west Tennessee with a pocket full of hundreds and bought one several years ago. Ate some great BBQ and rode it home.
                              great trip, great stories. Remind me to tell you about the key blowing out of the ignition going through Knoxville sometime
                              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                              1981 LH

Comment

Reminds me of BillyRok's epic adventure:

https://xs11.club/forum/idle-talk-fo...d-to-victor-ny
                                -Mike
                                _________
                                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Working...
                                X