Post Fall, ID to Victor, NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Fall, ID to Victor, NY

It's almost time...all packed and I fly out of Rochester, NY at 7am Monday arriving in Spokane, WA at 10:45am PT. Mark (prior owner) is picking me up for the 30 minute drive to Post Falls. Plan is to do a few minor things to the bike, load it up with my stuff, and get into Montana while the sun is still shining. Here it is, 1980 XS1100LG [IMG][/IMG] Thanks to everyone on this site who offered advice and encouragement, hope you enjoy the ride
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Enjoy!

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
    It's almost time...all packed and I fly out of Rochester, NY at 7am Monday arriving in Spokane, WA at 10:45am PT. Mark (prior owner) is picking me up for the 30 minute drive to Post Falls. Plan is to do a few minor things to the bike, load it up with my stuff, and get into Montana while the sun is still shining. Here it is, 1980 XS1100LG [IMG][/IMG] Thanks to everyone on this site who offered advice and encouragement, hope you enjoy the ride
    Hi, Billy -

Nice Midnight!

Have a great time, and be safe out there ... and please post as many pics as possible along the way, because we love pics (and because we want to know you are safe!)
    Marco

Current bikes:
    1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
    1979 Honda CBX
    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
    WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

That's quite an epic shakedown ride Billy, good luck.

You will be passing through my old stomping grounds on the way. I was born and raised in Montana. Most of my family still lives in Billings.

You are going to be riding through some of the most beautiful and highest elevation mountain passes. Be sure to be prepared for quick weather changes and it can be cold up high, even in August.

Have fun and if you get into trouble in Montana let me know. I'll see if I can get you some help.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Good luck, Billy!

Take your time if you can and have fun! Remember: Shiny. Side. Up!

-- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Have a great trip Billy!
          80 SG
          81 SH in parts
          99 ST1100
          91 ST1100

Comment

Hi Billy ,
            Have a good trip. Watch your fuel consumption and remeber it is better to top off a nearly full tank than to be a few pints short of the next gas station.
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Billy... have a safe trip...
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Well so much for plans changed out oil in middle and final drives, a little sludge on drain plug but no water or anything shiny. Flushed brake lines, feel solid and nothing dragging. Added highway pegs to stretch my legs. Checked valve clearances, intakes were .004 and .005, exhaust were .008 and .009 - all within spec. Installed auto cam chain tensioner. Synched the carbs but no changes to idle mixture screws as plugs are still in the towers.

By the time we got all this done, it was too late to try to cover any distance so I'm staying the night here in Post Falls and plan to head to Montana in the morning. Besides I am bushed after getting up this morning at 4 and need the rest.
                Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Well, that's a very smart thing to do. Don't want to be riding too tired. I just found this thread and cant wait to come back for all the reports. Good luck.
                  Jeff
                  77 XS750 2D completely stock
                  79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
                    Well so much for plans changed out oil in middle and final drives, a little sludge on drain plug but no water or anything shiny. Flushed brake lines, feel solid and nothing dragging. Added highway pegs to stretch my legs. Checked valve clearances, intakes were .004 and .005, exhaust were .008 and .009 - all within spec. Installed auto cam chain tensioner. Synched the carbs but no changes to idle mixture screws as plugs are still in the towers.

By the time we got all this done, it was too late to try to cover any distance so I'm staying the night here in Post Falls and plan to head to Montana in the morning. Besides I am bushed after getting up this morning at 4 and need the rest.
                    How was the balance on the carbs Bill, did you make any adjustments, did it improve any?

Guys, I talked with Bill last night on the phone and he indicated to me that #3 cylinder plug was on the rich side and the bike was "a little flat" below 2500 RPM.

Since the pilot towers are still have the caps I suggested he do a vac sync and see how it responds. The bike sounds more than ride-able in its condition so I suggested a seafoam treatment and ridin it.

From his post above I'm not sure much has changed from the sync alone. However, I can tell you Bill has the bar set pretty high. His XJ runs like a Swiss watch so he might just be overly critical. Just short of diving into a full carb cleaning out on the road I stand by my seafoam suggestion. He has the vac sync tool with him but no colortune or much experience (I believe) in setting the pilot screws, that's why I suggested leaving them alone for now if it's tolerable.

Looking forward to the next update, ride safe.
                    Last edited by WMarshy; 08-05-2014, 06:24 AM.
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Oops, I see you have a page in the technical forum. I will leave the tech talk out of this thread and move over to the other one. That way you can focus this one on the ride...
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Hi Billy,
                        Good call on staying for a good nights sleep. Pace your self. Take extra breaks if it is super Hot or Cold.
                        Remember to take pictures.
                        Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

At the KOA in Butte, MT

I finally headed east about 9:30 this morning and called it quits about 5:30. Covered 300 miles today...last time I did that was Spring Break 1984 stopped twice for gas and got over 41 mpg both times, pretty good. The bike seems quite happy running 5k at 75 mph, that's been the speed limit out. I am having a couple issues that I'll post in my other thread I started. It was over 95 in ID today, 10th straight day over 90...brutal! Pretty sunny all day and mid 70's here in Butte right now, very nice. Trying to upload some pics to Photobucket from this IPad using the wifi, not sure if it's working...May have to call one of my smart daughters for help

My cousin and his friend both showed up in Sturgis over the weekend, they came from Knoxville...after the friend rode down there from Portland, ME! I guess that guy has over 3500 miles in so far. They were at Yellowstone yesterday, my next stop hopefully, and said it rained on them for 3 hours and the temp was 48*. Plus they had to wait for herd of bison to get out of the road. After I see Yellowstone the plan will be to catch up with them in Sturgis. I'm about 150 miles from Yellowstone and then another 125 more to Grand Teton but not sure yet if I'll go that far south before turning east.

Just checked Photobucket, nothing uploaded yet so the pics will be forth coming. Be back tomorrow.
                          Billy

Comment

If you have the time and money, Jackson Wyoming is someplace you want to see while your there. Be prepared for some cool weather though.

Butte is an interesting town isn't it. LOL The Lady Of the Rockies you'll see on the mountain top headed east out of Butte.......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_the_Rockies

I was driving that highway when they were putting one of the large pieces up there with a Sky Crane. Stopped traffic.
                            Last edited by BA80; 08-05-2014, 07:37 PM.
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Wifi has been spotty out here. Did Yellowstone yesterday and Bear Tooth Pass out of the NE exit...spectacular!! Got pics to upload but haven't been able to yet. Hope to get to Sturgis today to catch up with my cousin...see Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments...and then a cold one someplace. More later.
                              Billy

Comment

Working...
                              X