No announcement yet.

Anybody recognize this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have measured for stiction on several pairs of Standard forks and always found a lot of it, no matter how perfectly alligned they were, even without a brace. This led to an FJ fork conversion. Problem solved. BTW, forks on a Special don't have this particular issue. That's a whole another story.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      I have measured for stiction on several pairs of Standard forks and always found a lot of it, no matter how perfectly alligned they were, even without a brace. This led to an FJ fork conversion. Problem solved. BTW, forks on a Special don't have this particular issue. That's a whole another story.
      Please tell me how you did the measurement Phil

Brian
      '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
      '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
      '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Brian, I pretty much just put a cable tie around the stanchion flush with the rubber dust seal. Push down on the handlebars to compress the suspension and then release. Measure the distance between the two, then pull up and extend the suspension and release. Now measure the distance between the two again. If there is no stiction, the number will be the same, otherwise subtract the lower number and that is how much stiction you have.
        Last edited by bikerphil; 01-11-2021, 04:12 PM. Reason: Re-worded for clarity
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

Thanks. I just checked a few times - don't think I have stiction problems
          '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
          '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
          '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Awesome, you can consider yourself lucky.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

If you have an XS1100 standard, you can get a Tkat style brace from Fastec-Racing. JeffH may be able to tell you which one fits.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

using the cable tie as mentioned above, I push down on the bars an gently let the front end settle.I then slide the cable tie down to the seal scraper. I then pull up on the bars,and again, gently let the front settle. Now measure the distance between the top of the seal scraper and the cable tie. 5mm is great on modern forks....my xS11 bikes usually were about an inch, maybe a tad more. Single lip NOK seals would really make a difference

Comment

Working...
                X