Anybody recognize this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody recognize this?

Here is a pic of my 1980 XS1100SG front end. I have not been able to find a fork brace like this in any XS1100 pics on the internet. The curiosity is killing me. Does anybody recognize this?
    Cruiser Eddy

1980 XS Eleven Special
    2002 Roadstar (past)
    1998 V-Star (past)
    1982 XS400 Maxim (past)

Keep the shiny side up, and keep the dirty side down
    Keep your eyes on the road, and keep your wheels on the ground
    Every man's gotta go his own way, but just remember these words I say
    Hey, hey, hey - Keep the shiny side up

It's an old school hoop brace, seen them on XS's before, don't see too many for sale, I guess they work.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

MikesXS has it in chrome. https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650...5mm-forks.html XS1100 is not listed in the fitment guide. You'll have to trust me that it will fit the standard XS1100. It will not fit the Eleven Special.

MikesXS also sells a Tarozzi brace for the standard XS1100, or you can buy it from Fast From the Past if you prefer.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I have one of those here! They do NOT work as well as the aluminum brace, but are better than no brace. T-Kat showed me the difference years ago when he was still building his fork brace. If you put the front tire between your knees and wiggle the handlebars, you can see how much the front end moves. The hoop cut the movement about 20%, and the T-Kat cut it about 80%. The Tarozzi is as close as you can find to the T-Kat now. Bad news is it will NOT fit your special. Keep the hoop brace!
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

The hoop brace will also contribute to a stiction issue if the fit isn’t precise.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Cruiser, that fork brace was originally offered through Yamaha Accessories, back in the day. As Diver Ray stated, they ARE a definite improvement for front-end handleing, and DO save wear on the internal bronze bushing of lower fork leg, which are no longer available!
            Last edited by motoman; 12-17-2020, 11:49 PM.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I use the Telefix on my 78' and hoop brace on the 79's didn't like the high speed wobble.

Comment

He are pictures and still have Yamaha sticker. Was for 1980 XJ700 Maxi. Click image for larger version  Name:	20201218_175852.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.2 KB ID:	862305 Click image for larger version  Name:	20201218_175700.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.5 KB ID:	862306

Comment

Thanks all for the replies. Bike is a recent purchase. Front end wobble is pretty bad, but the fork seals are shot. Once I replace those we'll see where we're at. Does a plexifairing also contribute to front end wobble seeing as it mounts to the handlebars?
                  Cruiser Eddy

1980 XS Eleven Special
                  2002 Roadstar (past)
                  1998 V-Star (past)
                  1982 XS400 Maxim (past)

Comment

Check/replace the steering stem bearings first. That is what I find wrong wit ha lot of older bikes, even low miles. If it's been sitting on the bearings, not moving, for years the rollers will make indents in the race. You now have a wobble. The fairing will mostly show things like sidewind, but if the front end is sound, no real problems.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG

Comment

Thanks, Ray. I will check it out. Much appreciated.
                      Cruiser Eddy

1980 XS Eleven Special
                      2002 Roadstar (past)
                      1998 V-Star (past)
                      1982 XS400 Maxim (past)

Comment

Those hoop braces also often introduce stiction to the front end and cause more problems than they solve. This can be helped somewhat by very careful fitment paying attention to the brace fit inside the forks and bending/shimming until you are happy... but...Tkat brace was much better. Anybody heard from RC lately?

QUOTE=DiverRay;n862252]I have one of those here! They do NOT work as well as the aluminum brace, but are better than no brace. T-Kat showed me the difference years ago when he was still building his fork brace. If you put the front tire between your knees and wiggle the handlebars, you can see how much the front end moves. The hoop cut the movement about 20%, and the T-Kat cut it about 80%. The Tarozzi is as close as you can find to the T-Kat now. Bad news is it will NOT fit your special. Keep the hoop brace![/QUOTE]

Comment

somesuch, Tkat is no longer working, and not in San Jose, or on the West coast! I exchanged emails with him about two months ago. He is retired in Florida, and possibly still reading here now and then, but not posting. He is a great guy, had a great product, but the numbers went down too far for him to keep building it. His shop was in Santa Clara, near SJC. I've been there a few times.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG

Comment

Hi Ray, I was at his old shop a couple month ago and talked to Jay, his old nieghbor there. Jay said that RC moved all the equipment to florida. Hopefully he is doing well and enjoying his retirement. Maybe even considers doing another run of fork braces

Comment

Originally posted by somesuch View Post
                              Those hoop braces also often introduce stiction to the front end and cause more problems than they solve. This can be helped somewhat by very careful fitment paying attention to the brace fit inside the forks and bending/shimming until you are happy... but...Tkat brace was much better. Anybody heard from RC lately?

QUOTE=DiverRay;n862252]I have one of those here! They do NOT work as well as the aluminum brace, but are better than no brace. T-Kat showed me the difference years ago when he was still building his fork brace. If you put the front tire between your knees and wiggle the handlebars, you can see how much the front end moves. The hoop cut the movement about 20%, and the T-Kat cut it about 80%. The Tarozzi is as close as you can find to the T-Kat now. Bad news is it will NOT fit your special. Keep the hoop brace!
                              [/QUOTE]

I have one of those on my bike. I looked at some video for measuring stiction but those were much lighter bikes. Any one tried measing it on an XS11 with forks on the bike?

Click image for larger version

Name:	fork brace.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	862706

'78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                              '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                              '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Working...
                              X