bike doesn't perform like it should

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike doesn't perform like it should

Completely dismantled motor to put in new cam chain. installed new rings lapped and shimmed valves to spec. Motor is running good but on highway won't go over 74 mph. It has pod filters on carbs and an 80s Jarden exhaust system I am thinking it is a carb issue any suggestions

#1!! What year and model is the bike?
    The early bikes have a mechanical advance system, as well as the vacuum retard that needs to be connected to the #2 carb(2nd from left when sitting on the bike).
    What pod filters do you have? Some are KNOWN to cause problems because of the design!
    How much fuel do you have in the tank? Specials do NOT run well when low!!!
    With a little more info, we should be able to give you someplace to start looking for your problems.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

bike is a 1979 special it has K&N pod filters. tank was full. vacuum is working. i synchronized the carbs

Comment

Originally posted by Gord View Post
        bike is a 1979 special it has K&N pod filters. tank was full. vacuum is working. i synchronized the carbs
        Hi Gord,
        Welcome to XS11club. Fuel lines not kinked.? Breather hole in cap clear ?
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Hi Gord, A few things to check. The wires going to the timing pickups are a known weak point and break inside the insulation on the loop back. While you have the timing cover off make sure the advance rotates freely. IFRR 75mph is like 5000 RPMs in 5th which is at the max advance. On bikes with mech advance timing I've read that folks had similar issues when an ignition box from 80 and up were swapped into the bike, need to verify part numbers. Can you achieve higher RPMs in lower gears or does it stumble consistently at the same place on the tach?

---Bax
          80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Try a run with the petcocks set to prime. That runs off the front lines, and if you do have a kink in the line, that may help it to run. Do just one side, test, then the other. That should let you know if it's only one line. I know I STILL have some feed problems on my '79SF, Left side only, and I've played with it all summer...
            Last edited by DiverRay; 10-27-2020, 09:02 AM.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG

Comment

FWIW, I have a Jardine 4 into 1 on mine. It performs very well, IMHO.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions I will go through bike again.

Comment

Mine was pinched fuel line when it acted like that. You will find the issue, keep at it!
                  1979 XS1100 Special
                  1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
                  1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
                  1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Thanks for you advice went through fuel system. the carbs were rebuilt. Pulled off pod filters revved up engine only one of the sliders moved. Moved them manually and only the one comes down slow the other three just drop down. I assume I have to replace diaphragm.

Comment

Do all 4 if you do any! One "bad" is just the first to go.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

Hi Gord, Those diaphgrams are available from JBM as a replacement part. I've used them, there on my bike.

http://www.jbmindustries.com/

---Bax
                        80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

thanks for the help. Bax thanks for letting me know where to find the diaphragms. Will order soon but first i have some more riding to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Gord View Post
                            Thanks for you advice went through fuel system. the carbs were rebuilt. Pulled off pod filters revved up engine only one of the sliders moved. Moved them manually and only the one comes down slow the other three just drop down. I assume I have to replace diaphragm.
                            80-81 YAMAHA XS1100 CARBURETOR SLIDE PISTON & RUBBER DIAPHRAGM

At $20 each, these are going to be tough to beat. They came up on another forum. No complaint listed. The diaphragm is as original.

Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Simple and maybe silly thought here... Are the diaphragms sealed around the top of the carb body and in their groove correctly? If they are not in the groove and seated properly they will do what you described.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                              X